1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student or Teacher discount questions

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by THE AMATUER, Jan 7, 2009.

1. THE AMATUER

THE AMATUER Active Member

Ratings:
    +293
    I know a teacher so can they buy a Macbook on my behalf or do they have to register it in their name and address? Also does anyone know how much of a discount they get?

thanks.
  2. Boon72

Boon72 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    i got it in Nov (i work in a school) its open to school & council / government employees too

i showed them my badge and they just asked for my details to register it but i could of done it online i think too
  3. THE AMATUER

THE AMATUER Active Member

Ratings:
    +293
    What discount do you get? I cant see any other discounts mentioned, only students and teachers on the apple site?
  4. Boon72

Boon72 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Digitalize

Digitalize New Member

Ratings:
    +41
    My sister bought mine on her NHS discount, showed them the card, pulled up her info, asked street, DOB etc to verify, then discount :D

Registered in my Name, as its registered when you turn it on.
  6. Boon72

Boon72 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    i got mine in the Apple store, but i rang up about ordering so i guess they set it up for you online
  7. DJACID

DJACID Member

Ratings:
    +151
    same here,
    i have always used my sisters discount....

Registered in my name....
  8. sim667

sim667 Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Yeah I just took 2 payslips from my employer and gave them my work email address....

job done:thumbsup:
  9. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +453
    Thanks for this thread. I would never have known that government employees are entitled to a discount from Apple. Turns out my job can get me a 6% discount, which is better than a smack in the face with a wet fish! :smashin:

However, I still can't afford a macbook but when has that stopped anyone? I'm in that "I want a Mac" mood and ended up getting an iphone as a stopgap, but that's just made me want one even more!!!
    On the other and I'm doing a great job of self justification, as you do when you want something you neither need or can afford! eg "Well, I did all that overtime over Christmas" and "I'm saving £xx a month on petrol now" and "I won't by any games for a few months" etc, etc, etc. :rolleyes:
  10. Shoka

Shoka Member

Ratings:
    +241
    I hate it when that happens, I was in one of those the other weekend and ending up getting an iPhone on contract, that would be fine normally, if I hadn't just renewed my contract with Orange, oh well only 16 Months of Paying for 2 contracts. :suicide:
  11. Boon72

Boon72 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    i bought a Mac Mini to stop my hunger, like you said a Macbook is a big ask when you dont need one.

i nearly got 1 in august but couldnt justify the low spec over the Dell i got - 2.1ghz,1gb ram, 120gb hdd & a cd rw didnt match the 2ghz,4gb ram, 320gb hd & bluray drive both costing £699

saying that i didnt really need the Mac Mini as that was nearly £500 and ive gpt aperfectly good PC next to it lol

i just want the Mac :devil: and SWMBO said get 1 to shut me up i think :D, ive since taken it to her brothers and he got his Mac Mini today :thumbsup:
  12. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +453
    :oops: .................................... I got an iphone on Thursday!! Was hoping that would quench the "thirst" for a Macbook. Sadly it's just made it worse, plus my Dell laptop is only 2 1/2 yrs old and is doing with my head in with regular crashes and freezes. I was thinking the same as Boon back then, be warned mate! ;) .
    See how the justification thing works? :D

I actually did get one of the very first Macbooks but had LOADS of problems with it so just went for the Dell. It was great spec at a great price and is, or should I say was, the best PC I've had. But 2 1/2 yrs is pretty poor before it starts the inevitable slowdown. I hear Macs don't slowdown with age, which is a bonus (more justification). :rolleyes:
  13. mkgm1

mkgm1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The Higher Education discount (for people studying/teaching in University) amounts to roughly 15%. Every year Apple also run a free iPod Nano deal in the summer too. I used this 15 months ago to get my first Mac with a free Nano (the fat one, which I immediately sold). Excellent deal.

Exactly what proof you need to get this deal varies. For me, my proof of acceptance to Uni from UCAS was enough. Some people have flashed expired university ID cards in store to great effect.
  14. snaz

snaz Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I bought an imac from the HE store via the phone and although they said they wanted proof I never actually gave them any (i did have it, they just never asked).

I presume as they are on commission (they were sooo keen to sell to me) they dont really care as long as they have on record that you have claimed to be a HE student.
  15. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +453
    Does anyone know how to order online and get the discount if you're a government employee? Do you just go through the education store? Apparently it's the same discount (6%).
    Sadly I don't live anywhere near an Apple Store.
  16. A n d r e w

A n d r e w Member

Ratings:
    +250
    You can order by phone: 0800 048 0408.
  17. NewBeetle

NewBeetle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,222
    Ask your HR department. There is a seperate EPP (employer purchase program) set up on apples website for each company that has a deal with them. I know the one for the company I work for for example and it just asks you to confirm you work for them before going to the discounted store. No proof or work email address required. To be honest though most people seem to just purchase through the HE link and never get asked to provide proof, the mark up is that high apple probably don't mind taking the slight hit :smashin:
  18. A n d r e w

A n d r e w Member

Ratings:
    +250
    Interesting, because to access the Higher Education Store you have to be on your institution's network.
  19. NewBeetle

NewBeetle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,222
    No you don't. I am not going to post the link on the forum as its been frowned upon a couple of times in the past. But I am sure a quick search will help.
  20. so99

so99 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I bought a present for my sister (student) and i phoned up to order and they said i just needed her scan of student id or her number. Saved a fortune. For the same price as a Mac pro with upgrades ,applecare and Final Cut Studio 2 i also got a Macbook for the same price.

make sure you phone for the deal.
  21. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,410
    Well yes, because you would be helping others to commit fraud so both of you would be committing a criminal offence which I am not sure any reasonable person wants to put down to the chance Apple will not check your background