1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stubb's the Zombie - HAs anyone managed to get this to work?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by nero0410, Jul 13, 2011.

1. nero0410

nero0410 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,468
    As title.

A friend and myself both bought Stubbs the Zombie in the steam sale.

I run Windows 7 64bit, he runs Windows XP(sp3) 32bit. We both have a Nvidia GTX 460 card, and obviously over the min/rec requirements to run the game.

I looked on the Steam forum's and it seems to be a very common issue, but I thought I'd post here as I know at least here I'd get some actual advice and help rather than the "You should have read this" "Your a moron for buying the game" type comment's.

We both get a black screen and crash to desktop, so the issue seem's the same.

We have both tried the various driver's (though that is a silly solution I found on the steam forum, as reverting back to x.60 driver's breaks more recent game's, and didn't work anyway)

The answer people have got from steam is to take it up with Aspyr, who in turn in my case of running windows 7 said that 7 doesn't support it, though some have got it to work, and it doesn't explain why it is not working on my mates XP system with the same problem.

Surely if the game is no longer supported it shouldn't be for sale not being fit for purpose.

Has anyone had any luck?

tris
  2. nero0410

Ratings:
    +2,468
    We're still haveing an aweful time trying to get this to work, tried everything we could find on the steam forum and extensive googleing.

Would really appriciate some advice.

cheers

tris
  3. nero0410

Ratings:
    +2,468
    With the halloween sale fast approaching, this game may come back to steam with some luck.

Someone over at Steam Forum's found finally found a fix for this using nVidia inspector.

He is a first poster on the steam forum and his first post fixed a long time unfixed game.
    Pvt.Schniedel, is his name there, so all credit go's to him :smashin:

nVidia inspector:
    1. Run the app
    2. Click on the settings button next to 'driver version'
    3. Scroll down to 'common'
    4. Extension limit will probably be off, just click on the 'off' and select;
    "0x00004844 (Call of Duty: United Offensive, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy, GLOBE Graphics Test Tool, Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Call of Duty, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast)"
    from the drop down list.

Then run the game, and it should load. You may have to wait for a few mins like I did.

The highest resolution is 1280x960, there will probably be a way to change this via .ini or similar, or somehting over at widescreen gameing forum.
    I'm not brave enough to try, I'm just enjoying the game as it is since it took so long for a fix to be found for nVidia user's

tris

Couple of screenshots (not sure how to make them appear in the actual thread, so just links):

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198009469119/screenshot/578935485412009418/?tab=public

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198009469119/screenshot/578935485412016472?tab=public
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. Hillskill

Hillskill Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +4,380
    I thought that Steam were pretty strict about games they carrying working on a set list of OS'. Surprised to hear that isn't the case!
  5. nero0410

Ratings:
    +2,468
    They took the game off the store a while ago now, but loads of people still have it that couldnt get it to start :(

Now they can :) It's quite an amusing game

tris
  6. nero0410

Ratings:
    +2,468
    went to play this today not thinking I have changed my card to an ati one and windows 8 and it doesn't work again.
    Tried all the fixes again and still not got it to work. One guy seems to have managed to get it to work easy with windows 8 but doesnt mention the hardware he's using:
    Stubbs on Windows 8 - Steam Users' Forums

Anyone else had any luck recently?

tris
  7. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo Member

Ratings:
    +1,450
    I loved Stubbs. I'm glad I played it to death on my old rig before the devs gave up!

It's a shame you can't get it to work Tris. Are there any community/3rd party patches?
  8. nero0410

Ratings:
    +2,468
    No mate, not any I can find or that work.

The game was originally made by Ayspr or something like that and eventually taken over by Disney, so it's pretty much screwed in Disney's hands.

I'll find a way round it eventually and post back here when I do.

I'm sure it's a driver issue/setting like it was with nVidia, but that was easily fixed with the inspector.

tris