1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming Vidio Wirelessly From Laptop To LCD TV

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by fire-man-dan, Nov 4, 2009.

1. fire-man-dan

fire-man-dan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to how you go about streaming video from a laptop to a LCD TV. They seem to boast about it on all the Windows adverts, both 7 and Vista. But I haven't yet found any fully helpful information.
    The laptop I need to stream from is a Dell Inspiron 13z running Windows Vista Home Basic, not sure of the exact model TV but it's a 42" Samsung LCD.
    I don't mind if I would have to clone laptop screen to the TV but would obviously prefer to just show the desktop on the TV and be able to stream video so I can set both in there native resolutions.

Just ask if I haven't given all the requiered information.

Thanks
  2. starcat

starcat Member

Ratings:
    +19
    There are DVI devices which send the signal wireless to a receiver, pro units though and not cheap. Work with 1080p signals. Search Gefen products.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. fire-man-dan

fire-man-dan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks for that mate. Seems abit ridiculous that it seems to be one of their main selling points in all the adverts. Will probably invest in one of these Gefen products though as a 5 meter VGA cable isn't very practical or tidy.
  4. Dominic

Dominic Member

Ratings:
    +6
    the key here that microsoft havent mentioned is that out of the box the vista or windows 7 wont, in order to get streamed content on a TV, you will need an xbox360 or a media centre extender to connect to the shared content on your vista laptop over a network
    The xbox will connect to the TV via hdmi or componant, as will a MCE ( media centre extender) then from the interface of either the xbox or the streamer you can connect to the media shared on your laptop, either via wireless or wired. So you will need:

• laptop with Vista
    • MCE, xbox360 or dedicated media centre extender connect to TV and speakers.
    • network, either wireless router or ethernet cable between laptop and MCE

good luck:thumbsup: