Streaming programs and what they will stream to the PS3

WibXL

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As pretty much everybody knows by now with the new 1.80 firmware you can now stream media to your PS3 but not all streaming programs are the same and I thought that it would be useful to have a thread where we can compare the programs that we use to stream to make it easier for other people.

The information is below and the areas that I've left blank are for file types that I haven't tried yet so if you've tried the files that I haven't please let me know and I'll update the info.

According to the online PS3 manual the PS3 can play the following formats:

Video:
* Memory Stick Video Format
* - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)
* MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
* MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
* MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
* AVI
* - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
* - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
* AVCHD (.m2ts)

Audio:
* Memory Stick Audio Format(ATRAC)
* MP3(MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3)
* MP4(MPEG-4 AAC)
* WAVE(Linear PCM)
* WMA

If the file type that you want to play isn't supported then you will either need to convert the file to one that is before streaming or use a program that can transcode the file on the fly. Also I've deleted information from the entries regarding file types that are not supported by the PS3 to reduce some of the bloat from the listings because if the file type isn't listed above then it's very unlikely to work any way.

Please note that where video files are concerned I just played around 20 seconds to see if they worked so there may be problems that I've missed with them.

WMP11 (Free to download for Windows users.)

MP3: Yes.
JPG: Yes.
MPG: Yes but scan speeds seem to be limited to 1.5x.
VOB:
TS: No.
MP4: No.
Transcoding:
Internet Radio:
Notes:

PC Cast on the Linkstation Live (Comes pre-installed.)

JPG:
VOB:
TS:
Tanscoding: No.
Internet Radio: No.
Notes:

TwonkyMedia 4.4 on the Linkstation Live and PC (Free trial but you'll need to pay after thrity days)

Additional information supplied by andyjenkins.

MPG: Yes but controls such as pause and scan etc are not available.
VOB: Yes but controls such as pause and scan etc are not available.
MP4: Depends on what codec was used to make the file as at the moment the software isn't 100% compatible with them all. Files that do work do have full video controls.
Transcoding:
Internet Radio: No.
Notes:

TVersity with the new PS3 patch on the PC (Free)

VOB: Yes but scan speeds seem to be limited to 1.5x.
MP4: Yes but I'm not sure if it's 100% compatible with all codecs.
Transcoding: Yes.
Internet Radio:
Notes: If you experience poor framerates whilst transcoding either lower your quality settings and resolution until it plays back smoothly or press pause on the PS3 and wait five or ten minutes to give TVersity enough time to get a decent bit of the file transcoded. If playback is still poor it could be down to network conditions such as trying to stream from a wireless PC to a wireless PS3.

Nero Media Home (Not sure if there's a trial version but you do need to pay for the full version)

Info submitted by Geomuss and BOC|Ethan2000.

MPG: Yes via transcoding?
VOB: Yes via transcoding?
TS: Yes via transcoding?
MP4: Yes via transcoding?
Transcoding: Yes.
Internet Radio:
Notes: From what's been posted in this thread it looks like Nero will work with most video formats but I don't know if it passes it straight through or transcodes the lot. Either way it's not likely to be a problem unless you're trying to transcode a HD file on a low power PC.

Eyeconnect on the Mac (Thirty day trial but after that you either need to pay or just use the audio side of the program)

Info supplied by louishm.

MPG: No.
VOB: Yes.
Transcoding:
Internet Radio:
Notes:

That's all that I've tried or been told about so far so please reply with information about other programs or features that I've missed so that I can update this and make it easier for people just starting out to pick a program to use. If you would like to contribute information could you please do so using the following template:

Prog name here and the format it runs on (pricing etc here)

MP3:
JPG:
MPG:
VOB:
TS:
MP4:
Transcoding:
Internet Radio:
Notes:

I would just like to say that whilst I do my best to make sure that all of the above information is accurate programs do get updated a lot and there may be some good old fashioned errors in there as well so please take that in to account when choosing software and if it's pay software always see if there's a trial version to check out first.

Thank you to everybody who has contributed so far.

I've tried Nero mediahome and it works great for the first flie that I try. If I then stop that file and try another it wont play and comes back with unsupported? If I shut down and try again it will then play that file. Sometimes it will just say access denied to media server. Anyone got any ideas why it does this?

Good thread, also add WMV-HD to the list plz

Thank you and I will try some WMV-HD once I've downloaded a couple of sample clips.

EDIT: Just added WMV-HD data to some of the program listings but as the PS3 doesn't natively support the format it'll only play using a program that can transcode it.

can you stream .ts files with WMP11?

Afraid that I don't have one to try out. Can the PS3 play .ts files normally because if not you'll need a program that can transcode it any way.

Nice one WibXL.

I'll be adding a link to this thread in the faq over the weekend.:thumbsup:

Yeah another vote here for nero media home, set up took seconds added the files I wanted sharing on the network and the ps3 had found the server before I had got back downstairs to tell it to search for it :clap:

I have checked photos, movies (that i converted with ps3 video 9 on the avc 720p setting) and music and everything works fine.

I did however get the occasional your "your access to the server has been denied" or words to that effect, but when I pressed play again on the movie clip it started no problems and from the scene it had stopped on.

Very, very happy.

Now if Mr. Sony could add xvid and divx to save me converting I will be over the moon.

Now if Mr. Sony could add xvid and divx to save me converting I will be over the moon.

Unfortunatly that would probably mean that they would have to pay royalties to the owners of the codecs and as such isn't likely to happen.

When you say that it plays the movies that you've converted does it send the movies as they are or does it transcode it first?

been playing with eyeconnect (Mac) since the update it will stream jpg,mp3 etc but can only get the ps3 to play vob files

Think I'll try TwonkyVision tonight as I found out this morning that WM11 won't stream MP4, altho it was very easy to set up. Tried Nero 7.5.7.0 but can't seem to get it working :(

Third programs a charm (hopefully) :rolleyes:

This thread has now been added to the faq so if I could be cheeky WibXL and ask you to update the first post whenever file types and what not are confimed it would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks, Dave.

I installed the lastest version of Nero lastnight, v7.6.9.0.
When i started up Nero Mediahome the ps3 connected straight away.
I recommend you are try the lastest version if you are having any problems.

Can we add m4a files (Apple Lossless audio files) to the list?

Thx! :thumbsup:

I've still got problems with access denied to media server :eek: I've had it working once, but now it doesnt work at all. The PS3 can see all my media and shows the little picture of each file but when I click the picture it looks like its going to play but then comes up with access denied. Anyone else have this probelm or had this problem and knows how to fix it? I've spent 3 hours trying to fix it and its totally doing my head in now :mad: Could it be a router firewall problem? or windows firewall? I've also got the latest version of Nero Media.

:lease:

Think I'll try TwonkyVision tonight as I found out this morning that WM11 won't stream MP4

Twonky is currently my program of choice and I've not had any problems with either the NAS or PC version so far so hopefully you'll find it to be the same.

This thread has now been added to the faq so if I could be cheeky WibXL and ask you to update the first post whenever file types and what not are confimed it would be greatly apreciated.

No problem, I'll keep updating as and when needed.

been playing with eyeconnect (Mac) since the update it will stream jpg,mp3 etc but can only get the ps3 to play vob files

Does Eyeconnect come free installed or do you have to buy it?

Can we add m4a files (Apple Lossless audio files) to the list?

Unless somebody beats me to it I'll rip a CD to m4a later to try it out but if the PS3 doesn't support it any way I don't think that any of the programs will work unless they can transcode audio as well as video.

Thank you everybody who has contributed so far it's much appreciated it but could I ask any body who is considering contributing a new program to use the template below (just cut and paste) to make it easier for me to update the first post, thanks.

Prog name here and the format it runs on (pricing etc here)

MP3:
JPG:
MPG:
VOB:
TS:
WMV-HD:
MP4:
Transcoding:
Internet Radio:

Did I read somewhere that someone said MPEG4a (H.264) works through TwonkyMedia? I just tried the 4.4 beta and the PS3 throws a hippyfit and says unsupported format - yet it identifies the file as MPEG-4.

Did I read somewhere that someone said MPEG4a (H.264) works through TwonkyMedia? I just tried the 4.4 beta and the PS3 throws a hippyfit and says unsupported format - yet it identifies the file as MPEG-4.

Afraid that I don't have any to try but I'll add the fact that they don't play to the list. MP4s exported from Quicktime or created with PS3 Video 9 seem to be fine though.

I've just created two mp4 H.264 files so that I can see what happens and the first one which was created using Super c didn't play correctly (worked on the PC) as it just showed a blank screen with the audio playing. The second one which I created using Quicktime Pro played fine but the aspect ratio was wrong which was probably down to another setting rather than the codec.

As mp4 support was only added yesterday and 4.4 is only a beta version I guess that there are still a few kinks to work out.

EDIT: Just checked the Twonky boards and one of the admins has made a post which says "some of the mp4 codecs work fine" so unfortunatly it's not 100% compatible with them all at the moment.

Does twonkyvision or nero or any of the others allow pause , fast forward or rewind controls? :thumbsup:

Does twonkyvision or nero or any of the others allow pause , fast forward or rewind controls? :thumbsup:

Most of the programs offer different levels of support depending on what files are being streamed. So far I think that Twonky is the only program that will stream mp4 (not all codecs) without transcoding and that does have video controls but when streaming mpg files no controls are available.

Because all of the programs do things differently for each type of file I suggest checking the first post which I'll try to keep as up to date as possible to find out which programs have full controls for the type of file that you're most likely to be streaming.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom