Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming FLAC files via DLNA on Panasonic TX-P50G20B

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by supraTTman, Apr 27, 2012.

1. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Does anyone know if it is possible to stream music files - FLAC in particular - from PC to my Pana TX-P50G20B via DLNA? My TV will need to connect to an Access Point I assume - this will need to be wireless owing to difficulty of providing a LAN connection between the two.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on my PC. I have heard that some Wonky s/w also works!

If I load MP3's & FLAC onto a USB stick and insert into side of TV, the media player is fine with MP3's but won'play FLAC's. Just wondering if there will be the same limitation with DLNA. I don't want to buy a WLAN adapter + Access point router to find out I've wasted money.

Thanks.
  2. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    If the FLAC files won't play when hosted locally (USB) its likely your tv doesn't support FLAC format. You can get around this by using a DLNA server that transcode on the fly (converts).

Serviio is free, well supported DLNA server Serviio media server that supports Panasonic and FLAC. This should work, you can test it with a cheap long ethernet cable without buying wifi equipment. Per wifi, you should look at Homplugs instead as they are cheaper,faster, more reliable than wifi. Amazon sell TP-Link models starting at £35 as a set and work very well.
  3. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Thanks NX3 - I'll try & get my head around that lot! I think you're right about the TV limitations ref FLAC.
  4. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    I don't think I've seen a tv that does FLAC but using DLNA trancoding should sort it out. Serviio forums on the serviio website have a panasonic section, its a good forum for support or you can ask back on here.
  5. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    OK - had a semi-productive day:

On PC
    Downloaded Serviio s/w & installed. On status page, IP Address is 192.168.0.103, Device Name is Windows Media Player, Profile I changed from Generic to Panasonic Viera, Added directory of files in the Library - dead easy so far :smashin:

On TV
    Found a long LAN cable to connect PC-TV.
    Went to 'Network Setup' - left all IP/DNS settings to Auto.
    Did 'Connection Test' - passes 'Cable Connection' but fails 'Check Aquired IP address' :thumbsdow.

Looking at the LAN cable plugs side by side, the two RJ45 wire colours are identical. I believe that this is called a straight cable, and in the Pana manual it says use a crossover cable. So I've found a crossover adapter for £1.50 on Amazonbie and will order this.

Do you think this will solve everything? This all looks too easy:thumbsup:.
    Are these LAN-over-mains-cable devices really very reliable?
    Thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  6. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Do you not have a router of some sorts ? Some device that connects you to the internet ? The network cable from the tv goes into the 'router' as does the cable from your 'computer'. Is that not your setup ?

Lan over mains, Homeplug, yeah they are good. I know loads of people who've had them for a few years without any problems. Clearly if your house electrics are awful then they might not work as well as you'd hope but hopefully your electrics are at the 'fire risk' stage :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Yep - all working now - thanks for all the help. PC (running Serviio) connected to router via wifi usb stick, TV connects to router via LAN cable.
    The Media server plays FLAC fine even though it thinks it's an mp3 file (see photo) :smashin:

Attached Files:

8. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Serviio is transcoding (converting) on the fly to mp3 format as thats the format of audio your tv supports. Quality of flac v mp3 won't compare that great depending on what your output device is. Given your listing via the tv and most tv speakers aren't that good compared to standalone speakers you'll probably not notice the difference.

Glad its all working :)
  9. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    I've got decent hifi kit connected to the TV - I don't use the 1" dia. TV speakers - that's why I want FLAC (=CD) quality.
    Having spent a bit more time listening to streamed FLAC albums I can honestly say that Serviio on-the-fly conversion to MP3 doesn't really get me any closer to what I really want - the TV is at it's limit.

Anybody got any better ideas? Is there a box that Serviio (or other s/w) can stream to in real-time to preserve FLAC format?
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    On the fly conversion won't be a good quality, thats the trade off.

Serviio will work with any DLNA box. It sounds like you need a media player with flac support connected to tv and wifi. WDTV Live HD is about £80 and supports flac, will work with Serviio, its a popular device and well supported.

This is a good source for comparing media players.
    iboum.com : Future Entertainment Technology : HD Media Player Comparison Grid
  11. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    I previously owned a Netgear EVA700 streamer (before I bought the Pana TV with USB/LAN connectivity etc.) to stream run-of-the-mill avi/mp3 files to my 405 lines TV:laugh:. If only it worked as well as it looked! Complete pile of pooh! Sort of put me off streamers - but that was 4 years ago and maybe I should look into the WDTV jobby.
  12. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    haha ! read the media streamer section of this forum. WDTV Live HD, latest version is good, has built in wifi, bbc iplayer and does most file formats. Its a very competent player (unlike the Netgear). Don't let your Netgear experience put you off.
  13. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    The WDTV Live HD does appear to do everything - except look good!! If I get one, I'll have to hide it behind the TV some how!
    I'll continue to use Serviio as it can handle wmv/mp4 files (the Panachronic can't) - saves me having to do a video conversion. Thanks again.
  14. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Bought a 2nd hand WDTV. Read the naff manual, read lots of naff WDTV forum stuff . I can connect via windows media player but can't read the library even though I've set up a windows live ID account.

Anyone got any hints before I launch this bag of ***** in the bin?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  15. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Which WDTV box did you buy ? They've done several versions.

Are you still using Serviio ? hint hint.....
  16. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Thanks for persevering NX3!!

I've just got the bog standard 'WD TV Live HD Media Player' as displayed on the tin.
    I had inhibited Serviio because this didn't stream FLAC files to the Pana.

So I was trying to use Network shares mode on the WDTV, then sign in then got message 'This network share cannot be accessed'.

So are you saying that if I use Serviio to stream to the WDTV, then the Serviio s/w will acknowledge that it can handle FLAC files and give me what I want? I was assuming that the naff Windows7 Media Player will do this.
  17. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Yes, Serviio knows what formats the WDTV can cope with and send them over exactly as is. Transcoding is only used when the playback device is limited e.g your model tv.

Windows Media Player isn't the best and I would suggest always using a good server app over it everytime! Serviio is great for all circumstances ;-)
  18. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Brill man - I owe you a pint or 2 - or some cheap mood lighting.:clap:
  19. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Glad its sorted :)
  20. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    OK one last question.

My setup is this:

PC (running Serviio) connected to router WiFi using USB WiFi stick in PC USB port.
    WD Live box plugged into router port1 via LAN cable - FLAC streaming from PC to WD Live now working well.
    Laptop plugged into router port2 via LAN cable for Internet connectivity.

Question is, how do I stream FLAC files from my PC to the laptop?

Thanks
  21. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    You need a DLNA client on the laptop or just set up a network share and play the files directly from the PC
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. supraTTman

supraTTman Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Something like Twonky maybe?
  23. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    You just need a player, not a server. VLC, Winamp with a plugin, MediaMonkey and others (for windows). Or just setup a network share on the server and just browse the files from the other PC.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1