Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stream laptop screen to TV wirelessly?

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by chelttown, Mar 25, 2009.

1. chelttown

chelttown Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Is it possible to steam the display of a laptop or PC to a TV wirelessly. I know that you can stream videos and mp3s, but is it possible to stream the actual display?

Any help on this would be great,

Cheers.
  2. madmonk3y

madmonk3y Member

Ratings:
    +69
    I've never heard of anything that does this, but then again I'm not the fountain of all knowledge. I would personally err on the side of "not possible"

Ignore the above check the links. Seems there is such a thing, but you have to buy kit.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  3. chelttown

chelttown Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply :) I was already aware of kit like that, unfortunately it is not what I am looking for.

What I am really looking for is software to convert the display to a video that could then be streamed, with as little lag as possible. Having to plug the laptop into something defeats the object of being truly wireless.

Cheers.
  4. chelttown

chelttown Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. sunil1234

sunil1234 Member

Ratings:
    +98
  6. stevewillow

stevewillow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone wanting to stream from laptop/PC to TV needs to have a look at SLINGBOX. For around £150 (PC World, UK) or slingbox site for USA ($199). It does exactly what it says on the tin . . .
  7. Subliminal Aura

Subliminal Aura Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Well those reviews look a little too critical.

I've just tried it and think it's got potential

Hardware used

WDTV Live upnp client

Server
    Athlon XP-M 100mbps This failed the athlon wasn't up to the task of transcoding

My laptop over wifi. Much better results but the CPU was *just* coping 80% utilization with chrome and youtube. What let me down was the network utilization of 40% over wifi (asking for trouble)

So if you're going to do this make sure your server has the grunt.

I'm going to try it on overclocked dual/quad machines wired (100mbps LAN) very optimistic about this as my laptop didn't do too badly at all.

I'll report back later