Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange behaviour from my Mordaunt Short MSW 20

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by -BA-, Aug 20, 2011.

1. -BA-

-BA- Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys. Recently my Mordaunt Short MSW20 sub has started to produce some strange noises. Certain levels of bass seem to cause it to make a rapid rumbling noise more akin to someone blowing a raspberry than proper rumbling a sub should make.

I do wonder whether it is nearing the end of its life but am reluctant to switch to a new sub at this stage due to finances.

I have checked that all the levels are right on my amp (Denon AVR2310) and that the polarity on the sub is set to 0 and the frequency is set to max (crossover is set to 100Hz on the Denon) and its "volume" is set to 50% as per the recommendations on BatPig's setup guide for the 2310.

Any ideas on what might be causing the sub's odd noises would be greatly welcomed.
  2. -BA-

-BA- Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to bump this but really could do with some feedback. I have my Sonos set to come on through my Denon in the mornings and now, even with low volume, the first bass fed through the sub cause it so reverb rapidly for about 30 seconds before it calms down.

Can anyone recommend any speaker repairs firms in the North West?
  3. DrH

DrH Member

Ratings:
    +60
    My old MS sub did the same so i ugraded to a BK sub.

The amplifier was on the way out.

You may find it not cost effective to have it repaired.

Sold it on the auction site for £30 in the end which went towards a new sub.

Sorry in the South so cannot help with the repair if you go that way

DrH
  4. -BA-

-BA- Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Really appreciate the reply. Have already been looking at the Monolith and others in the BK range but was also looking at two Sonos Play:3. Might make do with the sub until it goes terminal. Any more feedback gratefully received.
  5. -BA-

-BA- Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh what a to-do. It now seems to have become a terminal issue. Local hifi shop want £25 to even estimate a repair cost. Not sure whether to bother but equally if I am going to invest in a new sub, do I just go for an all singing, all dancing one like the BK range or is there something else that people can recommend? I can't imagine repair is going to be anything less than £100 is there something that would completely outperform the MSW-20 in the £200 bracket?
  6. Langstone

Langstone Member

Ratings:
    +33
    BK Gemini:)

But if your going to do it much better to get the xls200.

Then you will of course find out you need a Monolith:)
    Mark
  7. -BA-

-BA- Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Well now here is my dilemna. I am very keen to future proof and would consider spending extra for that. But space is a bit limited. I have been looking at the XXLS400 as a possible solution. As much as I would love the Monolith, it is quite a bit larger that the space I would like to commit to the sub. Is the difference between the 400 and Monolith massive considering the slight increase in price?
  8. Langstone

Langstone Member

Ratings:
    +33
    The 400 has very good reviews here on AVforums and is quite a bit smaller than the Mono. There is an excellent review on here by Russell Williams

BK XXLS-400 Subwoofer Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

I'm still waiting for my Mono to turn up so I can't really say how mush better it is than the 400. I just thought that once I decided that I wanted a bigger sub I might as well go the whole hog.

The BK200 I have is so much better than the Tannoy sub I had which came with my SFX speakers so I am expecting good things when the Mono finally turns up.

regards

Mark
  9. l34052

l34052 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    If your looking at the xxls400 then you really should take a long hard look at the monolith, for the sake of £30 you'd be mad not to think about it atleast.

The '400 is a great sub but its a sealed design which although great for music might not be the best sound for movies. Im not saying it will sound bad because that would be ridiculous, its just that the mono will bring so much more and if you looking to future proof yourself a little then the mono is exactly what you'll be looking for.
  10. KUBBY

KUBBY Active Member

Ratings:
    +669
    I agree that the Monolith will be the last Sub woofer that you'll need or want to buy for some time.

However,it is large.If the available space or WAF issues are insurmountable,then the 400 is the way to go.The price difference is minimal,but if you cant live with a Monolith,then the price is irrelevant.

The 400 is still the best VFM in its class and still leaves many,more expensive, speakers in its wake,IMO.

Buy the Sub to suit your Circumstances.

K.
  11. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    My msw 20 has gone in exactly the same way, it was a great sub for the price and there's not much out there for £150 that is similar apart from the wharfdale sw150. I can't decide wether to get the wharfdale or a monolith, did look at a gemini but for the price I don't think it'll be much better then the msw 20.
  12. -BA-

-BA- Member

Ratings:
    +3
    OK so here is my new dilemna. I totally get the recommendation of going for the Mono over the 400 and am almost sold on it once I work out how to make room for it. But... How much better is the Mono+ over the Mono? Is it worth the next financial step up again (I note it is 200W RMS more) or should I just stick with the Mono? I know it is easy to get carried away and want to just spend more but, ideally, I want this to be a one time investment and I want to get it right. Feedback welcome :)
  13. roaduck

roaduck Member

Ratings:
    +76
    If you want a sub that can coast with the low frequency effects of action films at reference levels and is ticking over at more modest volumes get the plus.If you only listen at modest levels the standard one will more than suffice.

The Mono+ is better than the standard Mono in a few crucial areas, lower T.H.D., lower T.I.M. and lower thermal compression.

The Eminence LAB12 driver has been shown to offer excellent power handling; 800+ watts for peaks whilst still avoiding an overheated voice coil.The higher amplifier headroom will also be noticeable.

You can also get a heat exchanger for the woofer in the Mono+ to further reduce thermal compression and audible distortion.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/11555611-post1.html

Ask Tom at BK electronics to tell you the pros and cons of each; not just this forums' contributors and also phone Eminence Europe for performance info of their woofer.

For the extra money you'd be getting perhaps a 20% performance increase.The plus doesn't go quite as low (a couple of Hz difference) as the standard Mono in theory but in practice it's more than enough and can easily cope with high level 20 hz test tones; it can even cope with 7Hz test tones.These are from high quality WAV files I uploaded.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011