Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stargate - nudity!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Greg Hook, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,843
    Just got my Season 1 box set of Stargate SG1 and watched the pilot episode.

Can't remember when I saw it first time round that there was full frontal female nudity. Seems rather odd and out of place with the rest of the series. Perhaps, once they did the pilot, the studios told them that was not acceptable for the target audience they wanted.

Greg
  2. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    I can remember some talk of it in the DVD forum but cannot find the link for you. It has had two different versions shown in the UK Sky showed it SPOILER
    whith the woman from the SG being shown striped from the back and a few close ups and the bit were blood pours out of her mouth. These where cut when shown on Ch4. Also the collar and cuffs where never transmitted on TV,
    :eek:
  3. Greg Hook

Ratings:
    +3,843
    Its the R1 boxset if that makes any difference.
  4. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    I remember someone mentioning collar and cuff in the other thread saying it was not in the R2 but have done a search and I cannot find it. But I have R2 and it is shown in that as well. I wonder if it will be in the one they are staring the new DVD series with.
  5. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Is it Sam :lease: :blush:
  6. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Showtime screened the early SG1 seasons and as a Premium subscription channel they often spice up programming with nudity/sex/strong language and violence, some shows it works and others it's not needed.
    SG1 as it turned out didn't need to take that route and managed to move from SHowtime to the cable/sat basic Scifi with no serious alterations in content.

Not seen the R2 DVD release but I maybe the BBFC ttook a sensible view that a 18 cert on it for full frontal nudity was rahter pointless but it has been edited on UK broadcast TV.
  7. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    It is SPOILER
    Daniel’s wife.
    :eek:
  8. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Off I go to imdb followed by google ;)

:offtopic:
    Have you seen the adds on telly for the magazine releases with the DVD on
  9. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    That’s what I was inferring with. ;)

10. cuewoz1

cuewoz1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    SPOILER
    Unfortunatly not :thumbsdow

If I remember ,its the woman daniel jackson was married to on abydos.
  11. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    So much For Garretts spoiler :D
  12. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    :D Altered it.

cuewoz1 I just gave the answer above as a spoiler and you want and told it again. :rolleyes:
  13. cuewoz1

cuewoz1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    sorry , I didn' notice .
    I click too much
  14. Greg Hook

Ratings:
    +3,843
    Try S1 episode 3 (Emancipation) for some nice shots of Sam!
  15. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Getting a bit ahead of the current episode under discussion but Sam looked stunning in the black outfit during last Fridays US Scifi channels screening of s8e10:)
  16. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

Just in case, anyone's remotely interested, the UK "18" certificate DVD of the Pilot episode "Children Of The Gods" is the full and uncut, original version, as shown in the US on the Showtime Network. The version originally aired on Sky 1 was slightly edited, but all subsequent showings have been the even-more edited version, that was also shown on Channel 4 (edited down to a PG-version, to make it suitable for daytime transmissions).

The original version shows full frontal female nudity, some gore/blood, and implies that the woman (Daniel's wife) is being forcibly restrained and impregnated with an alien.

The BBFC classified this as an 18 certificate, because the impression (upon first viewing) is that of a forced assault on the female, and the woman is portrayed (probably unintentionally) as a "victim". Because of this, the BBFC felt that a 15-certificate was not high enough, unless edits were made. In their eyes, they felt that the scene gave the impression that the woman was being sexually assaulted, although that isn't the case.

I brought this up, when the DVD originally came out a few years ago, at a BBFC Roadshow in Manchester. One of the examiners who was there, also examined this particular episode. Upon a lengthy discussion, within the BBFC itself, the episode was decided to be given an 18-certificate, because even though it's not a sexual assault or rape sequence like filmgoers would normally be aware of, there was too much menace and heavy intent within this short sequence, and the ambiguity is still of a woman being forced against her will, and the alien creature that impregnates her has "penis-like" tendencies, in the way it has been designed by the special-effects crew. Because of the adult nature of this one scene, an 18-certificate was issued.

I brought this up on the AV Forums, a few years ago, and if my memory serves, it brought up an interesting debate about that scene, and "Stargate SG-1" UK DVD releases as well.

With the new "Stargate DVD Magazine Collection" that is currently being advertised, DVD Number 1 actually starts with Season 1, Episodes 2, 3 and 4. The first episode, is the 18-certificate Pilot Movie I've discussed above. Collectors need not fret though, as the Pilot Movie is available to buy, as a "free gift" with issues 2 and 3 of the magazine, but ONLY if you subscribe to the magazine. (Due to the 18-certificate, it won't be available from magazine stores or newsagents, only to subscribers over the age of 18, for obvious reasons.) You don't even have to subscribe for more than one month (or four issues) to get the Pilot Movie DVD, if you don't want to. So, if you do want to get just the Pilot Movie, to complete the DVD and magazine collection, do what I am doing: subscribe for the minimum four issues (issues 2-5 inclusive), claim the free "Pilot Movie" DVD, and then cancel the subscription, and continue collecting the rest of the series, via your normal newsagent or magazine store. (The other free gifts, are pretty useless: a magazine holder, a Stargate ringbinder, and a cap, I think.)

Finally, the Magazine will run until at least the end of Season 6, but will almost definitely continue until "Stargate SG-1" the show, concludes its natural run, e.g. Season 8, Season 9 or whenever. The collection, though, may not include a magazine after the end of Season 6, and will be a DVD-only release instead. (Info taken from a staff member on their Customer Service phoneline!)

Thanks for reading this long post. :) Hope it's been useful!

Pooch
  17. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    Hi Pooch I think that must be the thread I’ve been looking for mentioned above.

Best of luck with that Law Degree.

We miss your monthly updates. I try to steer people to some good programs but generally only catch them the day before on the day they are aired.
  18. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    I saw an earlier episode (don’t know which series) but you actually got to see here legs. She looked very fetching in that episode. :smoke:
  19. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    We are so easily pleased :blush:
  20. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi Garrett,

Thanks for the kind words! :thumbsup:

I will try my best to do my "What's Coming Up On TV" each month, as and when I can, but I hope people won't get too angry if I miss some stuff on occasion.

Pooch
  21. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,510
    The DVD Magazine isnt a bad idea but if you are not really interested in the magazine and just want the DVD it is very expensive considering the Season 1-6 Boxsets are available for less than £30 each and at £7.99 for 3 Episodes it will be about £55 per Season.
  22. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Indy,

The thing, though, is that a) the boxed sets aren't numbered correctly, b) the episodes are being released in complete chronological order, and c) will be in a rather cool dark green and black packaging.

I agree it's not the cheapest option of getting the series, but bear in mind the standard UK releases made a mess of things, by not releasing all of Season 1, changing sound formats throughout the first few volumes, and the boxed sets didn't bother renumbering the discs correctly either! Plus, the actual DVD packaging doesn't look as cool as it could do.

The magazine version of the series, has:
    - remastered sound (with Season 1 now all being in DD 4.1), then 5.1 for the rest
    - new packaging, as I mentioned above
    - all episodes being released in their correct chronological order, with a higher bitrate for each episode, as their is only 3 episodes per disc.

I know you don't get any of the extras, and it will cost more in the long-term, but I still think it's a good deal. Just my two penny's worth, though! Feel free to disagree.

Pooch
  23. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Think I may have seen this in HMV today . Did it have 4 other episodes on it as well ? It was defo 18cert .£7 iirc (shoulda bought it really :rolleyes: )
  24. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    The one I got has the pilot and 3 other episodes which are There but for the grace of God, Politics and Within the serpents grasp.
  25. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,607
    Dont forget the film which started it is on BBC1 tonight.
  26. gwc

gwc Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Series 8 starts on Sky on the 5th Oct also Stargate Atlantis starts on the 12th.