Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jellybeard999, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I don't recall Maul getting a major amount of exposure at the expense of the other characters. I've still got an original advertising toblerone (no, not the chocolate treat) for a Walkers Crisps promo, and guess who's got the biggest picture on it? ****in' Jar Jar. The Radio Times did four different covers, and Empire produced three. Even the classic Drew Struzan poster has Maul's face so big in the background he almost becomes an abstract.

This new focus on Maul is very OTT IMO, OK?
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Er, yes, that's fine for you to have an opinion, Geoff.

I do recall Maul getting an undue amount of attention in 1999, though. And I also recall the critics' response to that - which I don't need to repeat from my previous post. I do hope this is "OK" with you.
  3. SDMDAM

SDMDAM Member

Ratings:
    +69
    I think the hype for Maul was mainly fan-driven when they saw the double-sided lightsabre and this bad-ass looking sith doing lots of martial arts moves. I mean, the first visuals of this fight were so far away from the lightsabre fights in the OT that there is no surprise that fans were mad for it.

Personally, I think he was slightly underused in the film as some of the best bits involve him v the Jedi.

But then, I am sitting on my sofa in a track suit and not sitting in a multi-million dollar home in charge of an "empire" worth billions :D
  4. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    :rotfl:

Maul's face appeared on a lot of merchandise in the lead-up to the film and a lot of people who criticised the movie did seem to feel misled that Maul did not have much screentime. If fans contributed to the hype, I think it was because they expected Maul to be a major playor in the plot.

I do agree that he is underused in the film, though. His "tone poem" which was used in one of the tv spots ("Fear attracts the fearful...") would have been good to hear in episode one and it was a shame his first fight with Qui Gon was cut short - maybe Lucas wanted to hold off on the character until the big three-way duel at the end?
  5. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    The problem with Maul was that he was given as much media exposure as the other characters but in the movie he had a vastly reduced role compared to Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Jar Jar etc. His role as written wasn't exactly meaty, but he did have more dialogue (although the tone poem was written for the ad campaign) and Lucas, as usual, pared it down to the bare bones for the finished film. So to then focus on him so heavily for the 3D release seems a bit strange to me, given how most people know that he's only in it for like 7½ minutes. Still, it's either that or go with Jar Jar or Anakin, and we all know how the movie-going public took those characters to their hearts. :D
  6. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch Active Member

Ratings:
    +505
    Still think the choice of vocalisation for Maul was a little odd, nothing against Serafinowicz. I like Ray Park's speaking voice. I'm more than a little intrigued by Maul returning in the clone wars, presumably not voiced by Serafinowicz?
  7. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Well, as I said maybe Lucas felt less was more with the character. Just the image alone of that character does all the talking for him - I'm put in mind of Pinhead from the original Hellraiser movie, where Barker continuously told Doug Bradley to do less and less, such was the power of the character's look.

Erm, as for the success of Anakin and Jar Jar with the viewers of the film, the kids loved those characters. Are you talking about the thirty-something-Lucas-raped-my-childhood-whingers? Well, who gives a stuff about them? :D
  8. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Ray Park's a Cockney isn't he? Whereas Serafinowicz is a Scouser I think.

Wherever he's from, though, he's a trained actor and noted voice artist. Ray's skills are more in the physical department I think.

I don't know how Maul's return is going to be handled in The Clone Wars. I really can't figure out that decision at all.
  9. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,607
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9Qk6m_b74&]Jedi Ninjas Ft. Team2X - YouTube[/ame]
  10. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I like :)
  11. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    We saw the trailer for Episode One in 3D at the weekend. My boy and I were sat two seats apart and when the trailer finished we craned our heads to give each other a big thumbs up.

Although every film in the saga has its share of scenes that look to have been made with 3D in mind, I can't help but wonder - knowing George Lucas's propensity for adding and tinkering - if yet more scenes will be added, simply to take advantage of the 3D format.
  12. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I dunno about more scenes, but the hokey continuity-baiting CG rocks that have been installed in front of Artoo for the Star Wars Blu-ray are a blatant nod to the eventual 3D-ification of that movie.
  13. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,607
    International poster for the 3D re-release of Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menance.

[​IMG]
  14. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Can we have that in English, please?:rolleyes:
  15. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Aww, just look at ickle Yoda!
  16. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    You're gonna wear that smiley out one day, bub.
  17. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Yes but by that point you'll have had a fatal heart attack due to the stress from which you suffer every time you read my posts. Seriously, Geoff, ease off. For your own sake.

Tell you what, I'll stop laughing at you as long as you stop making ridiculous remarks. Or is that such a tall order?
  18. figoagogo

figoagogo Active Member

Ratings:
    +522
    Fact: Puppet Yoda is far more life like than CGI Yoda - that is all!

As for 3D Star Wars, how annoying, this could well be the deciding on factor if 3D is going to last much longer than the next few years, espcially with post production 3D.
  19. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,770
    Now, now children, let's all play nice, this is just a thread on Star Wars, no need to fall out about something so trivial.
  20. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Yep - as long as it's the original puppet and not the freaky-deaky version they created for Phantom Menace. Soooo glad they replaced with him with the CG version.
  21. Jonesy012

Jonesy012 Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    I definitely prefer puppet Yoda... the fight scenes in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith looked too artificial and I think keeping Yoda as a mysterious master warrior would have been far more effective. In the Phantom Menace I would have definitely kept the puppet.

As for Maul being prominent around the launch of the Phantom Menace... I am no master filmmaker by any means but I think a focus on the plot of the Sith would have been far more interesting than the liberation of Naboo. I would have rather seen Anakin being discovered as an even more coincidental coincidence to do with tracking a much more interesting plot by Palpatine.

I have given this some thought, and I am still not creative enough in my mind to find an effective way to make the prequels work but I do know that focusing on the Sith in the Phantom Menace while keeping them largely a mystery would have been a lot more engaging for fans of the sequels.
  22. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Yeah, Lucas isn't hot on the whole Jedi/Sith backstory in the prequels. The Sith love to blather on about "revenge", but revenge for what exactly? Did the Jedi nab all the best spots by the pool during a vacation on sunny Tatooine?

But hey, why pay attention to the grand mythos of your story when you can let a million-and-one lackeys do it for you in the extended universe. That way, if people want to know they can pay for a few badly-written books and it frees up room in the films for more farting CG animals. It's a win-win!
  23. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +505
    TPM Yoda looked disconcertingly boss-eyed. Didn't make much sense making him look that different unless those last couple of decades in those 900 years caused him to hit the blue milk hard.
  24. Jonesy012

Jonesy012 Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    See if Lucas would have said that from the start I think the prequels would have been much better :p

The more special features I watch the more I get the impression Lucas simply had less creative control in the sequels which ironically... kind of made them a bit more creative.

But we all know how much the fans love farting animals. Icky icky poo.
  25. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    He's boss-eyed in TESB, too. And in ROTJ even more so. The decision was made to not bother correcting that, either at the time or since, because they felt it added to the sense that his health was in decline as he got older.
  26. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Well, kids love farting animals and these are kids films.

I don't follow your reasoning about creative control. Lucas always had creative control.
  27. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +505
    ESB puppet Yoda - not boss-eyed
    [​IMG]

TPM puppet Yoda - boss-eyed

[​IMG]

TPM CG Yoda - not boss-eyed

[​IMG]

Sorry but TPM puppet yoda looks more like nookie the bear
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  28. figoagogo

figoagogo Active Member

Ratings:
    +522
    Oh yeah, I am talking ESB/ROTJ Yoda.
  29. figoagogo

figoagogo Active Member

Ratings:
    +522
    Love that TPM pic of Yoda, looks like he has been drinking or taken some drugs.
    The ESB is the best Yoda!
  30. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Very good; you found a scene from ESB where he wasn't boss eyed. Sorry, I should have said "in one or two frames he's boss eyed". It's more obvious in ROTJ; maybe someone dropped him on his head between films, I dunno.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.