Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jellybeard999, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODB_69

ODB_69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,986
    I want one!
  2. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch Active Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Love it but I break those cases getting them on. Much safer with silicone cases me.
  3. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Check out the review of Michael Kaminski's Secret History Of Star Wars:

The Secret History of Star Wars Review - Comics Review at IGN

This has been available online for quite some time so I don't really know why anyone would want to buy it (especially at the current retail price, which is just ridiculous).

The review on IGN is spot-on, though, and reflects my own impressions when I attempted a read-through a couple of years ago. The book offers no new interviews or insights from the people involved with the creative process and instead comes across as a sprawling attempt to discredit Lucas at every turn. Indeed, if Mr Kaminski had simply called his book Why I Hate George Lucas it would have been a more accurate summation.

As I say, I only attempted to read it when I found a link online. I found it very hard to get through, partly because of the tone but also because of the style of writing. I read enough of it, though, to come to the conclusion that Michael Kaminski seems the sort of person who would turn up at the doors of Skywalker Ranch to accuse Lucas of stealing all his good ideas so he could pass them off as his own. A bit like Stephen King's Secret Window, Secret Garden really.
  4. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    I bought it a while back. :D You're absolutely right about the tone of the book, quarry. Matey seems intent on proving what a bad man George Lucas is at every turn, and although he uses numerous quotes and interviews as the basis for his findings he tends to come up with some wildly exaggerated conclusions, and is flat-out wrong in certain parts.
  5. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ Active Member

Ratings:
    +686
    Sounds like a book I must never read!
  6. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    It'll just annoy you, TJ! It has a pompous, sanctimonious air that reminds me of me at my worst! No wonder I didn't like it!

Geoff...you didn't really buy it did you, mate?! Something I remember from reading it is that he puts a great deal of emphasis on the fact that Lucas rewrote the screenplay so many times. I don't think he realises that when he picks a book of the shelves in Waterstones that the story he's about to read has already gone through a load of drafts. Bless:laugh:

Apparently the best books currently available on the making of the films - the original trilogy at least - are those by J.W. Rinzler (he also did the Making of and The Art of Revenge Of The Sith, both fabulous). But for the exploration of the mythology of episodes four to six, check out Star Wars: The Magic Of Myth by Mary Henderson. Utterly brilliant and I hope she turns her talents to the prequels some day.
  7. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    Yes, I bought it. I hate reading big chunks of text on t' internet, it makes my eyes hurt. Which shows you how much agony I go through to craft one of my trademark lengthy posts. :lol:

As for Mr Rinzler, I love his 'making of' books. His chronological ordering is simple but incredibly effective, giving us a real sense of the daily toil needed to make a moving picture.
  8. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,817
    Donny and Marie Osmond, Kris Kristofferson as Han Solo, in 70's Donny & Marie Variety Show

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. TheyCallMeTJ

Ratings:
    +686
    For a split second, I found myself reaching for my remote to adjust the tracking...
  10. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,817
    Great times :D
  11. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Not all of Star Wars's embarrassing moments involve Gungans:D
  12. MarkyMark70

MarkyMark70 Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Looks like some of Lionel Blair's DNA got mixed up with the clone troopers... Grooving troopers freaky! Thanks (I think!) for sharing ; )
  13. TheyCallMeTJ

Ratings:
    +686
    Watched the Star Wars Resurrection volumes 0 and 1 that Raigraphix posted on the Short movies thread several months ago. Well its not that short, its a full hour and a half altogether but they're bloody good. Good production and story. Has the spiritual feel of Battlestar Galactica and is like the Silmarillion for Star Wars.
  14. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    With that last sentence, TJ, you're not really selling it to me!
  15. TheyCallMeTJ

Ratings:
    +686
    Yeah you're right, thank god I'm not in marketing! OK, its more like the fan movie Born of Hope (the LOTR story of Arathorn, Aragon's father) except this takes place a few centuries after Rotj but its played out more poetically with absolutely no Star wars music at all, the mood is more BSG...ok I've really killed it now :rolleyes:
  16. Switch625

Switch625 Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Uncle Arthur???
  17. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    :laugh:
  18. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    The Mrs was out last night so fired up some more of S3 of the clone wars - very enjoyable stuff. I watched the 'witches' episodes which (arf) were some of the better episodes I've seen so far, really enjoyed the sith v sith v jedi v sith v droids etc showdowns. Also watched the 'Mortis' episodes. Hmmm. Not sure I liked them to be honest, other than the vision that Anakin has it just didn't feel very Star Warsy, although it was good seeing a familiar face appear via the force. Just been introduced to a 'Captain Tarkin' - I wonder what becomes of him...
  19. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    It's nice to see so many of the designs that were originally done for the films finding they way into The Clone Wars. Mother Talzin, for example, comes from an unused concept for a character that was to be in Attack Of The Clones. While the Witches Of Dathomir are from the EU book The Courtship Of Princess Leia.

I've only watched the Mortis trilogy once but I was really impressed with it. It raised a lot of questions and didn't provide any easy answers. No, it didn't feel "Star Warsy" but it reached into the mythos and explored it all a bit more. Some of us have lived with Star Wars for so many years now; it's nice for a series like The Clone Wars to come along and start turning things on their head.
  20. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    It's always fun to go through the 'art of' books (or whatever) and spot the designs and concepts which wound up in a subsequent movie, or indeed the TV shows.

LOVED the Mortis trilogy. By distilling the Force into three characters it was a simple examination of how it's kept in balance - this is a kid's show, after all - but it was still damned cool to see the mythology expanded in such a way.
  21. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Absolutely. Just like the films, underneath the surface sheen of lightsabres and high octane space battles, there's some deep ideas being explored.

Y'know, I think I may crack open a bottle of red tomorrow night and sit down with the Mortis trilogy again. 'Tis a Friday after all.

I love to immerse myself in the Art Of books. One was done for the first season of Clone Wars but they didn't seem to do a follow-up:(
  22. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    I wasn't impressed with the design of sister, looked a bit manga-lite via battle of the planets. I just felt it seemed like a massive diversion from the plot threads to date. The series as a whole feels a bit like that, almost lacking cohesion.

Also thought Mortis seemed a bit too dark for a kids series considering other episodes have the bumbling gungan. Mind you the witches trilogy was pretty hardcore so maybe in my dotage I'm not giving kids enough credit.

I'm really thinking though that Ahsoka's continued presence seems silly considering there's no mention of her in ROTS.
  23. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    There's no mention of the rising rebellion in ROTS either. Or the resurrected Darth Maul. Or Cad Bane.

If the series only stuck to what was in the films and nothing else, it would be pretty limited.

I always liked Ahsoka and never subscribed to the fanboy hatred of her. I think the idea of Yoda setting Anakin a test of his attachment was a good idea and she's grown as a character to the point where her eventual fate will be very moving when it's revealed.

As for the dark stuff, if the kids can deal with ROTS then they can deal with anything I think :)
  24. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    I've always liked Ahsoka too. But it does kinda suck that there's not even the merest mention of her in Sith, no matter what her fate will be. Still, Clone Wars Anakin does come across as much more upbeat than his on-screen counterpart, so perhaps Anakin's darker mood in Sith is a direct result of whatever happens to his young apprentice.
  25. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Well, this is the problem that some fans had with Count Dooku, that there was no mention of him in The Phantom Menace. Personally, these things don't annoy me (but you know how much of an apologist I am!) and obviously the only real reason the likes of Ahsoka and Dooku aren't mentioned is that these characters were thought of after the event.

Even with the presence of Ahsoka, we still get that close friendship between Obi-wan and Anakin first mentioned in A New Hope. That's one of the most important elements of the series for me.
  26. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    The problem is Ahsoka's been around for too long - although I'll admit seeing the future vision of Aksoka was... more interesting than I ought to admit to so to speak.
  27. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I think she's got better as she's got older, though, and having her around reminds me of the kind of chemistry that existed between Han, Leia and Luke. That element of the originals was the one aspect in which those films were superior to the prequels in my opinion. Having that brought back for The Clone Wars was somewhat reassuring for an old fart like me!

I made the mistake of watching the Mortis trilogy last night whilst having a few beers. I ended up falling asleep halfway through the second episode :(
  28. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    It just doesn't seem right that she's been around for so long. I don't dislike the character just doesn't make sense having her around this long.
  29. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Well, I wouldn't be surprised if she lasted until the end of the series. I don't know how many seasons this is supposed to run for or if Filoni and Lucas even know how it's going to end. The original cartoon ended at the point where Obi-wan and Anakin get the call to go and rescue the Chancellor so I would expect this series to end before that, given that Lucas has said that both iterations of The Clone Wars are canon - and, as we know, George never changes his mind:D
  30. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    He doesn't change his mind unless it involves questions of timings of gun duels.

It's just a minor irritation for me her continued inclusion but there's so much going on it's not a deal breaker by any means.

I'm with you about using this style instead of the proposed live action series set between III & IV. It allows for spectacular action and visuals and really I know he said this new series wouldn't involve Vader but how much more interesting would it be to see Vader stomping around the galaxy at the height of his powers extinguishing the remnants of the Jedi. Plus it strikes me it would be boom time for the bounty hunters and seeing Fett, Dengar etc as they establish themselves would be quite something, not forgetting Jabba's corpulent excesses.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.