Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jellybeard999, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roymunsen

roymunsen Member

Ratings:
    +18
    There's no denying the pod race and dual scenes are awesome on the big screen, but they're robbed of any colour or clarity with those silly sunglasses.
  2. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    I watched Star Wars tonight with my brother and when we got out we both said to each other "What 3D ?"

I also found it really out of focus on bits. A big let down. :(
  3. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch Active Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Fired up some episodes from clone wars season 1 last night - I've seen them before on the cartoon network but not in 1080p - glorious 1080p at that, it looked beautiful especially the space scenes. I watched the 'trilogy' of Grievous episodes, some stunning shots and again some nice little nods to the old trilogy. But ahsoka does grate, when does
    she get bumped off?
    It just seems daft having her around for so long and yet no mention of her in episode III (that I can remember).

Mod edit to add Spoiler tags Please us in future MT
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
  4. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Yes, the Grievous three-parter is excellent isn't it? I love the medical droid that he has.

I've upgraded my home cinema system since I last watched Season One so I think it's due another watch :)
  5. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    Just seen the clone wars Darth Maul trailer. Wow! Now if the prequels had been this good I'd have been well pleased.
  6. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ Active Member

Ratings:
    +686
    I have only seen season 1 complete of Clone Wars. Very much enjoyed it but not enough to hunger for the 2nd season. Does it get better and do we get interesting character progressions?
  7. lucasisking

lucasisking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,279
    Do you have a link? I looked for this on YT but only saw the yellow dude.
  8. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Andy Clark

Andy Clark Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Wow that trailer is amazing, that would be a movie that would make billions.......
  10. lucasisking

Ratings:
    +3,279
    Nice. Could only watch without sound though, so I missed any exposition.

So is Maul truly back, or just a force-spirit? At the end of Menace the red-faced one was half the man he used to be.
  11. Captain_Danger

Captain_Danger Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Managed to pick up the 3 original film BD boxset for £21 sealed off ebay. A decent price.
  12. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    His bottom half is mechanical in his return in Season 4.

Sith can't return as spirits due to their attachment to the physical self. They can't let go because of what Buddhists call self-grasping - the only Jedi who return as spirits are those who have accepted death as a natural part of life (or, in the case of Anakin, through self-sacrifice).
  13. QBSBuck

QBSBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +209
    Nice piece of folklore there ;)
  14. roymunsen

roymunsen Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Trailer looked cheesy and littered with badly acted panto dialogue. I would love to see a live action series with some serious money and script writers thrown at it.
  15. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    No audio? Tbh I've only watched it on my iPhone using the IGN app but I loved what I saw even on the (very) small screen. Its a great trailer. Did you not notice Maul's robotic Grievous-esque leg towards the end of the trailer? I know I keep saying it but I've seen more I've liked in the clone wars cartoons than the prequels combined. I'd very much like to see the talents behind this do a series or even just a special set after episode III showing then fully fledged Vader "hunting down and destroying " the Jedi. I appreciate it won't happen particularly as the live action series is set between III and IV. Still, I can dream.
  16. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    :)I should have added "Er, I think!" at the end:laugh:
  17. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    That's the problem; they've written enough of the live action series to know how serious that amount of money would be. Don't expect to see it anytime soon....if ever.

As for the dialogue...it's Star Wars; you were expecting Pinter?:laugh:
  18. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Oh, I don't know. I think there's a greater possibility of more cartoons than the live action series. They're cheaper to produce and are a proven artistic and commercial success. If Lucas chose to do the story set between episodes three and four entirely as a cartoon, with Filoni and his team back on board, I wouldn't complain.
  19. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    Me neither - I can't say I'm particularly bothered by the prospect of a live action series. The one thing that is bothering me though with the clone wars at the moment is
    Ahsoka still being around. Should've been offed by now. Would make sense for Dooku to kill her, Anakin taking revenge in episode III
  20. lucasisking

Ratings:
    +3,279
    Watched it at work yesterday. But watched it again at home with the audio.

Yes its cool, but...

Was Darth Maul really ever that important or cool? He was a half-mute Sith junior, bested by a Padawan- so there's something about this that strikes me of fanboy gimmickry.

As for the Clone Wars series being 'better than all the prequels'- hmmm. Thats like comparing apples & oranges. Clone Wars is a series, so there's room to develop ideas that you can't on a feature film. The pilot got slated on its theatrical release...
  21. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    Yup, the Clone Wars feature got a right tonking in the reviews.

I'm about 7 or 8 episodes into S3, and my word does it get dull after a terrific opening on Kamino. I know you mentioned apples and oranges lucasisking, but when Clone Wars is firing on all cylinders it really is better than the prequels. And then we get another bloody 'political' episode that brings it back down with a bump.
  22. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    Well Maul was cool yes, of course - the first Sith Lord we got to see in full on Sith action in the prequels - he looked the part, obviously had that cheeky double blader and his fighting style was very cool. Bested by Obi-Wan but killed a Jedi master. And that Sith Infiltrator was a lovely design, harking forwards to Vaders Tie Advanced and that speeder was very cool looking too. Disappointingly under-utilised character, and if we get to see him fleshed out a bit more in the cartoons I'll be very happy. I'm all for a bit of fan boy gimmickry if it's done well.

The series is better than the prequels for me because I find it much more coherent, much more exciting and better written. With the caveats that there are some poor episodes, some annoying characters - since when was Star Wars ever perfect? Other than Empire Strikes Back, as Star Wars goes. Edit: agree with Geoff - it's uneven, but when it hits the heights it's more 'Star Warsy' than the prequels for me.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  23. lucasisking

Ratings:
    +3,279
    Darth Maul was undeniably cool. And the catalyst for that amazing duel of the fates. However, I always thought his character had more in common with Boba Fett than Darth Vader; eg a silent, lone hunter travelling the galaxy in a cool spacecraft in search of his quarry. His double lightsaber and array of hardware, combined with his badass look, make him an iconic villain.

But let's face it, he was never meant to be a 'fleshed out' character. He was a young, disposable Sith, conceived to herald the return of the Sith and pave the way for much more powerful and complex Sith lords later on: cheifly Darth Vader.

That may be so (ive only seen a handful of episodes- maybe 10). But with a series you are free to explore every angle of the Star Wars universe to the Nth degree. Movies have to follow a straight and conservative path, so the writing has to be narrower in scope. I do like Clone Wars, although I do think they are trying to shoe-horn and awful lot into that little 3 year window of time between ep2 & ep3. It would be nice to have a similar series spin off, set after episode 3. If not live action, Id be happy for it to carry on in CG.

'Star Wars: Rebellion' would be a good title; there's an immense amount of storytelling available regarding the formation of the alliance, Mon Calamari etc.

By the way I quite enjoyed the Clone Wars 3 parter involving Greivous' new battleship Malevolence. Very awesome ship that I'd have loved to see in the light-on-space-battles prequels.
  24. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    I appreciate all of that, it's just when a character as intriguing as Maul gets so little screen time and yet Jar Jar Binks eats up valuable screen time it's naturally frustrating. I'd rather learn more about a Sith apprentice than a stupid slap stick character. So giving Maul a bit more exposure via the clone wars is welcome from my point of view.

I understand what you're getting at with the flims v series thing - but take another example - I much prefer Wrath of Khan to any/all of the star trek episodes. One is better/more enjoyable than the other (in my very very humble opinion). I do though agree there is an awful lot of shoehorning going on, and some things that feel very unnecessary.

I love the idea of 'Star Wars: Rebellion'. Although Clone Wars is on the cartoon network there's no doubt the makers know that the 'grown ups' are watching, some of the themes/action are pretty full on. Be great to see that continued post episode III.
  25. lucasisking

Ratings:
    +3,279
    Both very good points :thumbsup:
  26. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I don't mind the political episodes at all but, like the political subplot in the prequels, I can't imagine the target audience of 7-9 year old boys finding much to enjoy in them.

As for the Maul-lite Menace, I think that was deliberate. Everyone knows the thirty-somethings want every film to be The Empire Strikes Back; Menace is purposefully light in order to provide the perfect contrast to the saga's darkest moment: Revenge Of The Sith. Hence Jar Jar has something like 70 percent screen time in episode one and is relegated to the background in about two scenes in episode three.

What we have plenty of in The Clone Wars is something which I readily admit is missing from the prequels: chemistry. The banter between the lead characters in The Clone Wars recalls some of the finer moments of the original trilogy, I think.
  27. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    You're absolutely right. I find it more than a little ironic that characters made entirely out of ones and zeros have much more chemistry than their flesh and blood counterparts, and it dispels the myth that CG has ruined filmmaking in general.

People moan that CG takes all the zest and spontaneity out of filmmaking, which may well be true in the case of Lucas' stiff-as-a-board prequels, but then the same people laud certain all-CG features as some of the best films ever made. So which will it be? Either CG is the death of cinema, or it's simply another tool in a filmmaker's arsenal. As always, it's not what you use but how you use it.

Even if the prequels were made without a hint of CG, they'd still be just as badly acted, poorly written and clumsily executed because of Lucas' daffy ideas and outmoded sensibilities.
  28. MarkusThatch

Ratings:
    +520
    Interesting points quarry. You don't think Lucas was in any way influenced by the huge backlash towards the Jar Jar character when deciding on his onscreen time in II & III? Must admit Lucas showed some humour having Jar Jar preside over the granting of emergency powers to palpatine.

I see season 5 is out in the 'fall', I'd like to see more mace and more Yoda. I certainly like how they've shown Anakin's readiness to use more extreme methods to get what he wants to date. Makes his eventual downfall more believable.
  29. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I know that some fans like to think that they influenced Lucas with the Jar Jar hate but I just don't buy it. After all, if Lucas listened to those fans we'd surely have a proper widescreen iteration of the original OT films, no?

He was aware of the backlash - how could he not be? - and didn't he originally subtitle episode two Jar Jar Strikes Back or something like that? But I think Jar Jar's diminishing presence in the prequels was simply down to the tone of the story. Having him be the one responsible for The Clone Wars, albeit inadvertently, was quite amusing and a wry comment on that old saw about the road to hell being paved with good intentions, but I really couldn't imagine the story panning out with him having anything more than a background role.

I wonder if Lucas has decided how many seasons of The Clone Wars we're going to get. Not that I'm in a rush to see it end. And yes, the hints of the darkness within Anakin are interesting to see. Have you watched all of Season 3 now?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  30. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Ooh, I dunno. The pre-visualisation tools that helped the prequels were used by Peter Jackson in The Lord Of The Rings, with Rick McCallum and George Lucas being very generous with their time and efforts in helping Jackson and his team realise their vision. I think Lucas was way ahead of the game in pushing CGI and filmmaking techniques with the prequels and, in that sense, his sensibilities were far from outmoded.

And Jar Jar Binks was a massive achievement in creating a major character from CGI, arguably paving the way for Gollum.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.