1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek Online (Now free to play)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by andyUK101, Jan 10, 2010.

1. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +427
    Same issue I'm getting as well - I've only a singel GTX280 tho'. It's meant to be an issue on nvidia cards from what I've heard - seems poor testing in the closed beta if it is.

You can but I think you need to be up to the next rank, one of my mates has done it. Says the klingon areas are really jittery. You fight in close combat to recruit officers from what he said

There are other races as well when you unlock like orion and gorn
  2. WibXL

WibXL Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Found my first Tribble earlier tonight and as I now have two in my inventory they would appear to multiply...
  3. MickyG33

MickyG33 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    You can create a klingon char as soon as you hit level 6 with your first character. When you create a klingon char and get through the initial introduction, which gets you 3 officers right away, you start as level 6.

The klingon side seems very unfinished though, and from what ive read seems much more oriented to pvp. Kinda got bored with it and quickly went back to playing federation with my mates.
  4. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +427
    I've heard they keep going till they fill your inventory completely :D

Wonder if you can beam them over to a klingon ship :devil:
  5. Goooner

Goooner Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,929
    Managed to get in again last night, for the first time in 3 days:clap:

Had my first experience of the bug where you're on a planet and you have your ship instead of your character and also the reverse my captain walking around in space :rotfl:

Had one really "exciting" mission, beam down to this planet investigate some sensors or something, which basically consisted of walking over to 4 different structures, interacting with them and then.... er, well, that was it.

Myself and the two other people that I'd been auto-grouped with just stood around for a minute waiting to see if something else was going to happen, but no, up pops the mission complete box and off we go. Let's hope some of the other planet based missions are a bit more interesting than that:)

Don't get me wrong I don't want to fight hundreds of Klingons everytime I beam down to a planet, but something a bit more interesting than 30 seconds of walking and pressing "F" might be nice:D

I did manage to take part in a fleet battle which was great and then beamed onto a star base to rescue some scientists from the Klingons, which was also quite fun.

Didn't notice any lag and apart from the aforementioned bug, all in all a pretty decent experience.
  6. WibXL

WibXL Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Saw that I had three in my inventory today so I dropped them from my inventory at an enemy station.
  7. WibXL

WibXL Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Big old 792MB patch to download today and the level cap has been removed.

EDIT: Patch release notes.
  8. Dancook

Dancook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,111
    I've been reading a fair bit of feedback about this game..

In my age, I am getting pickier about the games I play... and I'm very sceptical about this one. I'd like it to be good, but I've read a lot of negative feedback which backs up what I might assume from this game.

I've played X2 and X3 and the space graphics were beautiful, I'm assuming STO isn't quite like this...

..hmm... can I still get a beta key?
  9. WibXL

WibXL Member

Ratings:
    +382
    You'll be able to get one by pre-ordering but I'm not sure if there'll be any free ones left now. Best bet would be to Google for it and hope you find a site with some left.
  10. Dancook

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Cheers I'll give it a go, not sure about pre-ordering it yet though... I suppose I can try it for a month if I do buy it.
  11. Mackle

Mackle Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Are you just talking about MMOs? If not, personally I thought the first Knights of the Old Republic game was absolutely superb, so not all Star Wars games are bad. X-Wing was great for it's time too, considering it came out at a time when everyone was raving about StarFox on the SNES.

Thinking about it, I did enjoy the Star Trek graphic adventure games - 25th anniversary, Judgment Rites, and TNG: Final Unity, as well...
  12. Dancook

Ratings:
    +2,111
    I registered with the official Star trek Online website, and a couple of days later.. I've received a Beta key!

wooo :)
  13. akane_1984

akane_1984 Active Member

Ratings:
    +162
    had my first brief taste of pvp last night done a space battle in Klingon neutral zone fighting on federation side trying to hold 5 points kind of like a battlefield conquest style. ended up with 2 deaths didn't tell me how many enemies I killed just gave me a 'damage' column. All and all the pvp was very good klingon human players lot tougher than ai.
  14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,339
    If anyone still wants a beta key send me a PM as I have a spare one.
  15. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +427
    So how is everyone finding it?

I'm finding it seems to be the same thing over and over. Also is anyone else finding the difficulty level in some of the mission is a bit too high?
  16. PinheadedMike

PinheadedMike Member

Ratings:
    +823
    Sorted Problem
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  17. Dancook

Ratings:
    +2,111
    My first impression of Star Trek, I played the beta for an hour last night... I will play some more tonight.

There is no WOW factor, no pun intended.. but when I first played World of Warcraft you get dropped straight into a huge world, which you are completely free to explore.

An hour in and I'm still doing basic....boring... tutorials.

I'll keep with it though, hopefully it'll get better.

edit. I remember landing on a planet, then the client crashed.. maybe this will open it up a bit..
  18. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +427
    Well I wasn't very convinced on the mission starting today. Having spoken to one of my mates who's doing the beta he was telling me about one mission based on an actual star trek episode.

Basically the one with Joan Collins - slightly amended for it being the MMO but it sounds a lot better than the missions I've been getting at the start.
  19. TheFifthDoctor

TheFifthDoctor Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It was a bit crummy until the weekend, those patches made some difference for me.

Having a ball now.
    Just a shame (kinda) they are resetting it all for live.

Despite a good price, wish I'd pre-ordered elsewhere, as it seems the HMV code items are kinda lame.
  20. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,339
    I have really enjoyed the beta but not sure I will play it enough to warrant £8.99 a month, anyone know if it will have a month free like you get with Warcraft?
  21. Moldiver

Moldiver Member

Ratings:
    +113

Yeah it comes for the 30 day free trial on purchase.
  22. akane_1984

akane_1984 Active Member

Ratings:
    +162
    only problem I can see that friends and I were saying tonight is if we all buy it which most of us have pre-ordered if someone steam rolls ahead and gets to level 11+ it means that person can't join the rest for pvp ?
  23. MickyG33

MickyG33 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I'm still not sure if its £8.99 inc vat or less vat. With vat it makes it £10.56 which deffo seems a bit pricey.

Star Trek Online
    'Prices displayed are not inclusive of VAT for purchases from the European Union (EU).'

Thing is, I'm not sure if by that they just mean the Euro price, or the GBP price too.

However, I'm probably not getting it anyway. I've kinda had fun in the beta, getting up to level 18 atm. Some of the recent quests I've done have been a bit more interesting, but far to much of it is so samey, I could see me getting bored with it fairly quickly and it just being a grind. That plus the fact that it still remains looking quite unready for release to me.
  24. Goooner

Goooner Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,929
    I'd be surprised if it's any more than £8.99 inclusive. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot IMO. £8.99 seems to be the going rate for MMORPG, so charging more than that is going to put people off straight away, I'd have thought.
  25. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +427
    So now the beta is closed how many are going to be playing this?

Much as I have concerns on some of the experiences in the beta, I have two mates who are playing so I've said I'll start at least for the included month and see how is plays. It is probably worth giving it a chance to entice me as a subscriber
  26. WibXL

WibXL Member

Ratings:
    +382
    I've pre-ordered it so I'll be giving it a month at least.
  27. akane_1984

akane_1984 Active Member

Ratings:
    +162
    are any retailers still giving away headstart access
  28. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +427
    Loads of them I think - I know steam are for a start. I think HMV are as well
  29. bryngreen

bryngreen Member

Ratings:
    +15
    This game looks great. I've never got into online gaming before but I might have to start!
  30. smjm

smjm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    played the beta, find the game quite good. I find the crafting lacking in it tho. Would like a nice crafting system like SWG :)
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010