Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek Online (Now free to play)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by andyUK101, Jan 10, 2010.

1. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
  2. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +490
    My mates pre-ordered it and trying to persuade me too as well.

Not too sure on this. I think I'd like to have a go on it before buying it
  3. CraigofScotland

CraigofScotland Active Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Really cant make up my mind. Franchises such as star wars, star trek etc have much hyped but ultimatly quite poop games.

Ill need to wait until some guinea pig shells out for it and reports in :thumbsup:

My next gaming purchases are gonna be aliens vs pred and bad company 2 i reckon.
  4. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    I never tried star wars online but it was pretty poor by all accounts

I fancy a change in MMORPGs - ive played most of the fantasy ones with varying degrees of enthusiasm

What puts me off about EVE is that people have had years to play it and starting out a noob could be quite tough

With STO at least everyone will be starting out fresh
  5. SuperSportBilly

SuperSportBilly Member

Ratings:
    +247
    I pre-ordered from Play.com over the weekend and have received a beta code which can be redeemed from tomorrow.

Pre-order with beta access still showing as available on the website - if I don`t like it I`ll cancel the pre-order.

Cheers
  6. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +490
    Star wars was really good initially as you could spend time on it without ever having to do anything. You could do anything you wanted and mix/match any career.

Eve in contrast needs a lot of effort and focus your time to get the most of it. It's also a serious time sink at the higher levels of missions. It can be daunting for a new player, but again really good.

The question is will this allow for the casual player to drop in for an hour and still develop or will it favour the players who can spend 6 to 8hrs a day, every day?
    Will it be really complex? Can it be played solo as much of the time as you want?

I watched the gameplay trailer and it didn't grab me. The combat for the ships seemed slow, same with the characters.

It's difficult to judge how I'd like it before actually getting to play it. Ordering to get a beta key then cancelling if I don't like it seems a lot of hassle. I'd prefer a free demo to try it.
  7. RevanClaw

RevanClaw Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Quick thing before pre-ordering... There is a section on the star trek online website which indicates which packages gives what deal.

Amazon UK - Borg Bridge Officer and a few other things

Direct2Drive - TOS Outfits and other things.

One even gives you an exclusive Tribble pet...always having Trouble with Tribbles!!!:thumbsup:

Check out the pre-ordering section on the website.

It's open beta from 12th Jan, hope it's a fully open one, not only open to those who have pre-ordered!!!:rolleyes:
  8. TheForge

TheForge Member

Ratings:
    +137
    I thought I might give this a go seeing as its Star Trek but i dont have any big hopes for anything special as its made by Cryptic and uses the Champions Online engine.

Its a shame they didnt license the Eve Online engine and modify it to make it more casual friendly.

I played eve for a couple of years but it just takes too much time for anything to happen .

I was torn between the Digital version from Steam or the GAME Gold Version.

In the end I went with the GAME Gold version for only £29.99!

Star Trek Online The Gold Edition contains:
    • STO Design T-shirt (size Large)
    • Pack of 5 Art Post Cards
    • Star Trek Universe Map
    • Bonus DLC Postcard with unique number for in-game 'Deep Space Nine' Uniform Set
    • Collector's Box
    Pre Orders get:
    • The TR-116 phaser rifle has been modified with a micro-transporter which beams fired projectiles at targets within close range, without having line of sight
    • Head Start Access provides an additional weekend of play inside the live server before launch day.
    What I find strange is that all the bonus stuff is focused on you playing Federation, It would have been nice to see some bonus stuff for the Klingon empire!
  9. RevanClaw

RevanClaw Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Hey, prior to pre-ordering I have some good information.

Fileplanet have access to the Open Beta from today!!!
    You need to be a fileplanet subscriber.

To get this, you can pay the $7 for one month and get into the open beta now!:smashin:

This would let you try the game and give it a go before pre-ordering.

If you like it, then you can pre-order!!:thumbsup:
  10. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +490
    Steam has a fair few bits in the deluxe version for pre-ordering but is a scary £50

Digital Deluxe Edition

The Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Edition offers such bonuses as five exclusive in-game items as well as the ability to play as a “Joined Trill” – a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The five exclusive in-game items include:

Original Star Trek Uniform Set: Three uniforms from the original series (blue, red, yellow).

Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote: An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”

Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote: Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture –the blood wine toast.

Unique Registry Prefix: Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.

Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.

Steam Exclusive Pre-Purchase Offer
    Chromodynamic Armor: This armor is based on technology brought back from the Delta Quadrant by U.S.S. Voyager and is personal body armor that improves the damage and critical hits of your energy weapons.

Bonus attributes for the armor:
    6.1% Physical Resistance
    6.1% Kinetic Resistance
    2.6% Energy Resistance
    +15% Critical Damage
    +5% Critical Chance
    +3% Energy Damage

Steam pre-purchase customers will also receive access to the Open Beta and the Early Start Program, which allows players to get a leg up on other interstellar explorers by accessing the Star Trek universe the weekend prior to the game launch.

Have to say the KHAAAN emote sounds cool :D
  11. TheForge

TheForge Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Well I wanted the REAL Tshirt and the In-Game Rifle that can shoot through objects!

But now I wish I had gone through steam as trying to download the damn client is Soooooo slow.

Using the Star Trek downloader im getting 10kbps so Im trying to use Torrent but dont get more than 60Kbps.

What a shame Cryptic screwed up the Open Beta, they should have let people download the client a week or so before it started.

I am giving some though to canceling my pre order with game and buying it from Steam evem though its almost twice as much!

The Forge
  12. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +490
    So has anyone actually got into the beta yet?

Two of my mates have pre-ordered and they are freaking out at the slow speed. They are quoting speeds of 0.3kb/s and 9% in 11hrs of downloading.

Sound like they may have underestimated the demand :D
  13. AML

AML Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    Im really interested in this game. Just worried that it will eat up all my time...

Never really played any MMORPGs before.

Might give this a go after I see some reviews.
  14. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Are you really going to walk around wearing a t-shirt that says STAR TREK ONLINE on it?

:rotfl::devil::smashin:
  15. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Started downloading last nigh via bittorrent, pretty much maxed out my connection at a stead 150Kbs, should be finished this afternoon, by the time I get home from work. Then I understand once the client is installed, there's a patch of around 175mb it applies, no idea how long that will take.

Hoping to be able to try it out at some stage tonight.
  16. RevanClaw

RevanClaw Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Sounds good! Let me know your impressions...very interested by the game!:smashin:

Would like to know if there was a lifetime membership option for pre-ordering as this would be incredibly interesting for me!:D
  17. Gordon B

Gordon B Active Member

Ratings:
    +790
    Been playing this in Closed beta and now have access to Open Beta but I'm not gonna get time to play it.

I quite enjoyed it, it played alot like Champions Online but with phasers rather than super powers.

Seems to fuse space flight and ground play quite well.

Would I buy it? Nope. Not because I don't want it but because I'm hooked on Global Agenda.....

A word of caution about lifetime memberships. I signed up for a 6 month sub for Champions and found out that after a month or so that there was a major xp and level gap so stopped playing it. IMO from now on I will only be paying monthly with the option to cancel at any time, not worth the small saving as far as I'm concerned. But that's just me..
  18. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Downloading now but i cant find a beta key. Does anyone have a spare? Fileplanet say theyll let me know when they have some more but if anyone here has one they dont want that would be appreciated :cool:

[edit]
    Update, this site seems to still have some so i should be ok!

http://hailingfrequency.com/boards/index.php/topic,2006.0.html
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  19. TheForge

TheForge Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Well 12 hours of downloading and 2 hours of actually playing the game has helped me make up my mind.

I cancelled my order with Game.

It would be quicker if I listed the things they got right with this game.

1) The spelt Star Trek correctly!

What a god awful MMO, the game feels tiny, the graphics look rubbish, it feels slow and rubbery, there just isnt a single thing I liked about it.

Using the Champions online Engine was a massive mistake, you are basically playing Champions online but instead of a superhero you have a space ship model as a body!

There is a bug where you can walk around space as a human or float around the ground as a star ship!

Reminds me of the old Total conversion people did of half life.

I wish anyone playing this good luck

The Forge
  20. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +490
    Did you find it that bad TheForge?

My mates are trying to talk me round to getting it, but I have my reservations. Having tried champions online demo and getting serious lag I'm concerned on this being on the same engine.

From what you're saying it's not impressing you at all
  21. AML

AML Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    It is still in Beta. But its pretty much finshed since they are releasing soon....

What to do? I think im going to wait for a few reviews before deciding. Im not blind buying this.

I love trek to death, but im not wasting money either.

Its only logical :D
  22. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Managed to try this out for an hour or so last night.

I've never played Champions Online, so can't compare it to that (my only previous MMORPG experience is from CoH/V and LOTRO).

Initial impressions, graphics are decent enough, but nothing to write home about, however I did think the space combat stuff looked really nice.

Had a bit of trouble finding the ship I was meant to transport some survivors to, there didn't seem to be any easy way to do this, except fly around until you stumble across it (there is a scan sector, or something button, but this just seems to tell you if there's anything unusual, not a list of what's around).

First missions are obviously tutorila, first bit on the space station shooting a few Borg was OK, then you get to do some space stuff, which was fun (although a little confusing at first) then after that, I had to form an away team and beam down to a planet. The game then stuck on the loading screen (there do seem to be rather a lot of these, certainly a lot more than I've been used to on LOTRO), so I had to quit and reload. I understand they were having server problems last night, so this could either have been caused by that or a bug, hopefully stuff like that will be sorted by the official release, this sort of thing is what the beta is for afterall.

After reloading, I beamed down to the planet again, it worked this time, but I was on my own, landing party didn't arrive with me. Got a phaser rifle, and shot some more Borg. Combat seemed pretty easy (I'm a science officer and with no landing party to assist, I thought it might be a bit harder) but as it's still the turtorial, no matter, it's probably not meant to be too hard.

Then beam back to the ship, dock with a space station get told to go and see the Admiral and then the game starts proper, I would assume. I say assume, as after speaking to the Admiral, I got the choice to go see the training officer or I think, get another mission off of him (admiral).

I decided to go to the training officer, as I'd now levelled up and had some points to spend (it seems you don't need go to the trainer to "buy" skills, as you do in LOTRO), had a bit of trouble finding him, but I suppose that will get easier as I play more and get to know my way around.

Came across what looked like the equivalent of an auction house and a bank of some sort, didn't use them as I didn't know what I was doing, there's also a place where you can customise your ship, which sounded interesting, but again I haven't tried it. Eventually found the trainer, so upgraded my character without really being sure what I was doing, but that will come with experience, I'm sure.

By this stage it was becoming, so laggy, rubber-banding all over the place and red "server connection problems" flashing briefly on the screen quite frequently, I'm assuming the two things were linked, so didn't think it was worthwile carrying on, as it was far to difficult and time consuming to just do ever basic stuff, like walking to the other side of the room :)

Will give it another go, hopefully it will be a bit smoother, not sure what the longevity of it will be like, initial impressions are pretty good and so far, my pre-order stays in place :)
  23. TheForge

TheForge Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Im sure some people would like it for what it is.

I have played ALOT of MMOs and quite frankly, this being a "Star Trek" game and it now being 2010 I expected something much better.

You know how games based on movies are all rushed out on generic game engines and all are pretty much rubbish, thats how this feels.

I suppose the best way to describe it is, It looks and feels like a mediocre console game.

But i would suggest you try the open beta and see for your self.

The Forge
  24. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,535
    I certainly wouldn't disagree with that, it may not be for everyone. As I said, I've only got 2 other MMORPG to compare it with and I haven't been able to play ST long enough to decide if it's better than those. First impression is not as good as LOTRO but possibly as good or better than CoH/V (it's a couple of years since I played the last one, so it may be vastly different.
  25. RevanClaw

RevanClaw Member

Ratings:
    +116
    I hope it's better than CoV/H because they spend time before STO came out saying how much the experience making those games helped them with this one!:smashin:
  26. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,535
    I can't really remeber too much about CoH/V, it was so long since I played it and it was the first MMO I'd ever played, so having nothing to have compared it too, I may have rose tinited memories of it.
  27. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +490
    CoH/CoV had a great concept to it and good character creation. It lacked in the end game aspect, even the grouping wasn't great.

So saying it's of that level isn't a great endorsement.
  28. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Don't think I got past mid level 20's for any of my Heroes or Villains, so not sure about the end game, as I sais it was my first MMMORPG and it was all new to me, so that may have clouded my judgment :)

Only had time to play for another 20mins or so last night, seemed a lot smoother. Started a mission, which basically consisted of "go there" which I did, when I got there it was "see off those alien ships" which I did, then it was "oh, look, here's some more" and then, what do you know, now there's another lot:D

Saw all three waves off, multiple ships attacking you at once from different angles certainly made things more interesting, but I didn't feel in danger of dying at any time, so it wasn't that hard, I'm hoping that's because it's still early in the game and not an indication of things to come.

The mission I was given was to patrol about 5 sectors, I only had time to do the first one, so I'll be pretty disappointed if the other 4 consist of more of the same, I'm hoping there's more to it than that.

My pre-order is now in the balance:)
  29. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Yeah star wars galaxies was awesome, buggy and issues sure but alot of its features were the best of any mmo ever and others havn't even come close to properly replicating them. Building a player city, having your own home that could be made into a shop that you could advertise on the world map, the crafting and resource gathering was amazing, fantastic player economy, you really could be a non combat character and have plenty of fun and challenges. You really felt like you had a place in the world.

PVP was good and there was a great skill based combat system and some great classes, creature handlers with rancors, bounty hunters, commandos with huge heavy weapons, combat medics, smugglers.

Such a shame they ruined it.
  30. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Played another couple of hours now and I'm really liking it now:)

It's not all combat (although there is a lot) I had a mission where I had to escort a mining ship back to it's base, no fighting involved and one where I had to beam down to a mining colony and talk to the miners to see what their grievences were.

Then some other missions with lots of space battles, it seems to automatically put you into a group when you're on the same mission as someone else, which is quite handy. Finding some of the space combat quite tricky now too, as I'm starting to come up against more powerful enemies and multiple ships attacking at once.

Pre-order stays firmly in place (at least for now:D)