Star Trek Into Darkness

How do you rate 'Star Trek Into Darkness' out of 10?

• Total voters
Truth is I am getting older and I am crankier. Also I am one of the few that liked terminator 4. In any case I finished editing my post now and hopefully it makes a bit more sense. How do I hide spoilers though?

ahh i get you now .. your first draft you didnt say you had seen it :)

the films started over 30 years ago though .. thats a few generations who may never have seen them .. even some from that gen who never watched them either :)

I left the film yesterday excited for SW ..

ST II The Wrath of Khan
ST VI Undiscovered Country
Star Trek 2009
Generations
Star Trek 2013
ST IV Voyage Home
First Contact
The Motion Picture
Insurrection
Nemesis
STIII The search for Spock
Final Frontier

I guess I'll be the first but I thought this was pants, Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing he's such an effective villain but everything else falls short, particularly the pre-title sequence.

Too much melodrama, lacks intensity and poor jokes throughout (YES, they have to crack a joke in the middle of life and death sequences throughout the film).
2/5

Ivy, not sure where you watched it mate but the pics I'm watching at the moment are IMAX presentations only (otherwise watch at home) and I have to say this was again a superb presentation, along with Ironman 3. I'm sure man of steel and pacific rim won't disappoint. Can't wait for Into Darkness on blu!

Asif

Ivy, not sure where you watched it mate but the pics I'm watching at the moment are IMAX presentations only (otherwise watch at home) and I have to say this was again a superb presentation, along with Ironman 3. I'm sure man of steel and pacific rim won't disappoint. Can't wait for Into Darkness on blu!

Asif

BFI .. MOS will be there too :) As I posted yesterday it was nice to see some real imax scenes :)

So how may of you have seen this in a Atmos equipped theater?
I'm really looking forward to seeing this as I've booked tickets for this Sunday at the Empire Leicester Square which has Dolby Atmos installed, so I'm doubly excited at watching this, but is Atmos really any good. Or is it a load of hype that doesn't really add anything to the overall experience, like Sensurround was in the late 70's. :devil:

Last edited:
So how may of you have seen this in a Atmos equipped theater?
I'm really looking forward to seeing this as I've booked tickets for this Sunday at the Empire Leicester Square which has Dolby Atmos installed, so I'm doubly excited at watching this, but is Atmos really any good. Or is it a load of hype that doesn't really add anything to the overall experience, like Sensurround was in the late 70's. :devil:

I think once you've watched it, you can appraise us on what you think of Dolby Atmos at that particular theatre:smashin:

Last edited:
Seeing this tomorrow. Want to watch it on the imax screen but 3D only:(

Could do the 2D but would probably get stuck with a pint size screen:mad:

Couple of questions. What's the 3D like and, for those that have seen it on an imax screen, is there any real imax (full screen) footage (like Batman).

Cheers

Couple of questions. What's the 3D like and, for those that have seen it on an imax screen, is there any real imax (full screen) footage (like Batman).

Cheers

Yes there is full imax scenes and the 3D is really decent, I didn't fancy 3d but needed imax, glad I did now :)

Cheers

I watched it at the Manchester IMAX earlier and it was brilliant in 3d. Sharp, bright with some genuine sticky out 3d bits and genuine depth in some scenes:thumbsup:

Good to know Asif, but how was the film? It looks a belter :smashin:.

just back and that was absolutely superb:thumbsup: watched it in active 3d and yes there are no pop out in your face effects but i dont expect this, the depth was great, the debris and hud effects were great, I loved it, best film this year now for me

Watched this at the Trafford Centre in 3D. Visually stunning as you would expect but the movie overall was nothing special. It was alright but I enjoyed Star Trek (2009) much more.

A couple of things that bugged me but are not the main reasons why I was left dry...

1)

I was disappointed that the Klingons looked pretty standard, actually less interesting to look at compared to previous Star Trek outings. I can understand that it would probably cause a sh*t storm with old school Trekkies but am I the only one that was hoping to see something really radical once that mask was removed? Personally I was wishing for something along the lines of a Predator face!!!

2)

This was a big one for me... DID we really need to see young Spock ring up old Spock via video chat for a "spoiler alert" about defeating Khan???

Honestly if Nimoy pops up in the next Star Trek I might just walk out of the Cinema. Let him go... just let him go...

I enjoyed, but really couldn't get over the amount of bloody lens flare. Did my head in and could have ruined it for me -once I noticed it, it was EVERYWHERE!

I enjoyed, but really couldn't get over the amount of bloody lens flare. Did my head in and could have ruined it for me -once I noticed it, it was EVERYWHERE!

and some people were unhappy as it was less than the first film :D

Loved the film, went to the midnight showing in Manchester on Wednesday night. My only issue with it was the IMAX itself (poor sound and the film didn't need 3d imo) I was left feeling I should have watched in 2d.

Only niggle with this was Abrams listened to the complaints a little too much about the 2009 outing and over compensated to trekkie rage, that being said this one felt far more "trek" like than the first

even the opening sequence ?
spear came at you

to be honest, the real3d bit at the start was more effective. i'm just glad that i don't have to pay extra to see 3d films should the need arise.

also, did anyone have the epic trailer in 3d before the film? you could certainly tell the 3d in it but it made my eyes hurt as there was too much going on

Saw this at the IMAX screen in Crawley, great film indeed best film of the year so far for me.

Loved the subtle refrences to trek with the Tribble, and Spock shouting Khan!!! And with kirk in the warp chamber speaking through to spock ala the Wrath of Khan.

I though Chris Pine and Benedict Cumberhatch were both brilliant.

I knew that Khan was rumoured to be in the film but when the revelation about his name came out that was pretty sweet

Would definatley be up for seeing this again, but not in IMAX £13 a pop:eek:

Enjoy. This is arguably the best one. Although I (just) favour the Motion Picture, TWOK is right up there.

FWIW, and to kill some time, here's what I think is the order of the best star trek films:

The Motion Picture
ST II The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek 2009
ST IV Voyage Home
First Contact
Generations
Final Frontier
Nemesis
Insurrection

Oo that order reflects your highly cerebral intelligence ;) Mine reflects my dumbass one.

The Motion Picture
ST II The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek 2009
Generations
Final Frontier
ST IV Voyage Home
First Contact
Nemesis
Insurrection

Although I love the Next Generation crew, I did not enjoy their last 3 films as much as I do of the TV series. I do enjoy watching Generations more often than others, though. I love the mood of it even if the plot is pretty questionable but the crew looked comfortable for their first big screen venture.

I went through the whole blu ray set of the Originals just a couple of months ago and so this order reflects my fresher perspective on the movies. BUT I love them all, even Insurrection which I think was the worst of the series had its fair share of moments. I love Final Frontier, it was purely a character drama really but I dug it. Think Shatner got an unfair rap for that instalment.

Seeing the new one later today in 2D. How is the 3D version, just out of interest? And is the lens flare on overdrive?!

Last edited:
Overall I enjoyed the film. But it did have some bloody typical Lindelof plot holes. Such as

"My name is Khan" fast forward to conversation with old Spock.
"have you ever met someone called Khan?"
"why yes of course of all the billions of people we have met and any number of them could be called Khan, I am going to assume it is THAT Khan

Also

Khan is from a race of people with super blood. So the only way to get that super blood is to go after Khan. If only we had some on ice knocking about the ship? In fact why don't we take one of Khans crew off ice and put Kirk in their place.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom