Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeezebox Receiver doesn't get beyond flashing red lights

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by Magic Beans, May 14, 2009.

1. Magic Beans

Magic Beans Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Hi,

Before i burst a blood vessel i thought i'd throw up my "situation" with other more experienced and calmer peeps :mad:

I've finally just taken delivery of a Squeezebox Receiver to go with my iPod running iPeng with Squeezecentre 7 running on my QNAP.

All good so far..

The iPod/iPeng is configured and speaks to the QNAP without issue.

Still all good. However....

I can't get the Receiver to appear anywhere. It's plugged in to the mains, connected to a 10/100/1000 network and hooked up to my amp using SPDIF. It's powered on and sits on the flashing red light phase and gets no further.

My question is where do i go from here? I can't configure it because the controller doesn't see it, it doesn't show as a device on my router and doesn't appear in the "Player" list in Squeezecentre. :confused:

Help. Please :suicide:
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +981
    You can only setup an SBr in two way's - 1) With the proper Squeezebox controller (not iPeng), or 2) Using a program called Net::UDAP. See here Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

It's a bit tricky, but it does work (i have done it no problems).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Magic Beans

Magic Beans Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks for the heads up and the info. :thumbsup:

I've downloaded the zip file and extracted it. I'm struggling to get the command to run though.
    scripts/udap_shell.pl

Do i have to change to the "tags" directory only, or all the way in to
    the "scripts" folder? I've tried both, run the command "upap_shell.pl"
    as i was in the scripts directory. A text file came up with details
    about the software etc. however when i type "help" the options aren't
    they should be. I don't appear to be in the UDAP mode

Any ideas?
  4. Magic Beans

Magic Beans Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Just found the executable lower down the page. Now in UDAP mode :thumbsup:
  5. Magic Beans

Magic Beans Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Even running the .exe file, when i run the "discover" command it doesn't find the mac address of my SB :mad: It only finds 00:00:00:00:00 on 255.255.255.0

To say how easy the Harmony was to set up, this has to be one of the most miserable experiences of my life. Thoroughly unimpressed :thumbsdow
  6. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +981
    Your trying to do something the manufacturer never intended. The SBr is part of the Duet (SBr + SB Controller). The reason SBr's can be bought on their own is so that additional rooms/zones can be added to an existing Duet setup, but they were never really designed to be used on their own.

The Net::UDAP utility you have is more of a hack, it's not an official piece of software. If you want to use a product in an unorthodox way expect to have to fiddle around a bit.

IMO you would be better off spending a bit extra and getting a Squeezebox Classic, its well worth extra money, has a nice screen and will work with iPeng and your Harmony remote. You don't need to do anything special to set it up either.

Otherwise, post on the forum i linked you too. Trust me, it does work, you are probably just not doing something right. Have you tried pressing/holding down the button on the SBr first? If my memory serves me correctly you might have do do that.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +916
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Magic Beans

Magic Beans Member

Ratings:
    +49
    New day, new mindset. I've managed to find someone who has the controller whch i can borrow for the night. So hopefully it should all be a beautiful memory by tomorrow.

Thanks for your input guys. Apologies for the grumblings, but no man likes to lose "man points" when setting something up ;)