Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeeze box - choose your own internet radio station?

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by flashmatics, Jul 3, 2008.

1. flashmatics

flashmatics Member

Ratings:
    +13
    With the squeezebox - are all the internet radio stations you can play from a predetermined list? Or can you simply play ANY internet radio station by entering its url?

E.g i love the stations on http://www.filtermusic.net/ and want to be able to stream any of them I like...

Thanks in advance for your help
  2. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    You can enter your own URL and it'll play unless the broadcaster is using some proprietary protocol than needs it's own browser add-in to decode.
  3. flashmatics

flashmatics Member

Ratings:
    +13
    thanks for that ..well all of those stations play through iTunes fine.. so does that mean they will play through Squeezebox as well?

Thanks for the advice..
  4. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    You can try for yourself, the SqueezeCentre and SoftSqueeze emulator can both be downloaded for free. Input the URL and check if it plays on the SoftSqueeze. Some of the RealAudio feeds of the BBC need to be transcoded in the SqueezeCentre, that's what the 'AlienBBC' plug-in does, so you can use the Listen Again service of the BBC (although they may check your IP and only serve to the UK).
  5. flashmatics

flashmatics Member

Ratings:
    +13
    thanks ill check out the software :thumbsup:
  6. hector-uk

hector-uk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, i've been looking for a good internet radio for the kitchen as the local stations are not picked up well by my Philips Wac7000. Although i can stream them via my PC to the Philips, I dont like having my PC on all the time.
    This is where the squeezebox caught my eye. Correct me if i'm wrong, but not only can it play your own internet radio stations without a PC running, I can use it via my current Philips system, which is ideal !!

Basically, I have downloaded the squeezecentre and emulator software but have had no luck in trying to play any internet radio stations, so cant test the stations i want. It keeps saying no player/device etc.

The internet radio stations involve downloading a .m3u which is then played via WMP etc. Will these stations work on the squeezebox?

This is really the main reason of getting it. I want to avoid buying another system as I already have the Philips.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  7. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    >Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.<

Post a URL to a station and we can try it...
  8. hector-uk

hector-uk Member

Ratings:
    +1
  9. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. hector-uk

hector-uk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that amcluesent.

Where did you get that URL??

Also, is the quality of internet radio good?? And is the signal etc strong that it doesn't keep cutting out etc?

Thanks again
  11. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    >is the quality of internet radio good<

Well, Awaz isn't too good, they stream at 32kbps, 22Khz, mono! That's a bit like listening to the radio down a telephone line. :mad:

There's plenty of streams at 128 and 256kbps which sound fine.
  12. fractionater

fractionater Member

Ratings:
    +2
    where is the best place to get radio1 from?

I've got it through the staff picks selection on my squeezebox and it sounds awful - looks like its streaming from somewhere in Germany.

Should I subscribe to the services like Lastfm, 360 and shout?

I only want to listen to BBC stuff and LBC97.3 on the squeezebox.

Its not the easiest thing to set up either! (trying to stream my itunes archive from my HP Mediasmart server).
  13. Druboo

Druboo Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Have a look at post #4 :smashin:

Last FM is a great programme. The more you scrobble the better it gets :devil: Haven't got around to trying 360 or Shout.

Also have a look at RadioFeeds UK & Ireland :)
  14. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +969
    Does not really matter how you get the BBC streams (although Alien BBC is excellent), they all originate from the same same BBC server. Unfortunately, the BBC use crappy 64kbps streams, so the quality is not great. It seems we dont pay enough licence fee for them to be able to afford an extra 64.
  15. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    >Unfortunately, the BBC use crappy 64kbps streams, so the quality is not great<

IIRC, the Beeb actually take their lossy MP2 streams, then run them through the Real compression. The iPlayer Radio feeds will supposedly be better, but of academic interest if they lock them down in Flash streams.
  16. hector-uk

hector-uk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again amcluesent.

So those with lower bit rates are they crackly etc as in conventional radio stations or are they not as loud?

As some of the radio stations are not well received in my area thats why I was thinking of changing to internet radio.
  17. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +969
    No, they are not crackly like conventional analogue transmission and as loud as you want them. This is digital music and is effected in different ways; it's heavily compressed so you might hear compression artefacts and it will sound a bit flat and less dynamic, with bass and higher frequencies clipped a bit. Just the same as listening to a low bit rate MP3 on an iPod etc - its the same thing really.

But that said, it's perfectly fine for voice (radio 4, 7 etc) and it is surprisingly listenable with most music too. And this is just the BBC, must stuff (thousands of stations) are available at much higher quality too.
  18. hector-uk

hector-uk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ok, i'm pretty much at the point of buying the squeezebox duet.
    However, one more question:

How easy is it after setting up to locate the internet radio of your choice. I have heard that setting up can be a little difficult, but I mean once it is fully set up and you have it tuned to the internet radio you want, is it then just a matter of turning it on and it will play what was last played or do you have to locate it or tune it again??

Basically, its for my mum, and she's not good when it comes to technology stuff. I will do all the set up, but for her, she just needs something that when pressed on, her radio/music will play.

Now I just have to find a good deal on the duet.

Thanks again for the help
  19. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +969
    Well if you turn it off, it will go straight to the last thing you were playing when you tuen on again - be that a music track, podcast or internet radio station. But you have also have 'favourites' and 'internet radio favourites' for the stations you listen to the most.

The duet supports various different internet radio services and directories, such as Shoutcast etc. Finding stuff is to too hard, but there are thousands of stations. You can manually enter station URL's too.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008