Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

splitting satellite signal

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by onesixtyfourth, Apr 14, 2009.

1. onesixtyfourth

onesixtyfourth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What would be the best way for me to split a signal coming from a normal sky dish to get a signal to each room in my house. I have looked up splitters and multi switches but its not making a lot of sense to me. I don't want sky tv throughout my house but I want to push the free channels around if I can. Is there a splitter that can take my sky dish cable as input and give me six outputs?

for example this one

Thanks.

Also do any of you have some good links to some learning I can do?
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,808
    You need separate feeds from the LNB, get a multiple output one fitted.
    There are control signals sent back to the LNB which is why you can't just split the signal.
  3. onesixtyfourth

onesixtyfourth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Makes sense I had read a bit about the LNBs and wondered if I would need a new dish. Do I actually need a dish that has six LNBs then?
  4. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    You need to post this in the 'Sky' forum, not the 'Freeview' one. There are several ways of taking a Sky signal around the house. You don't need a multiple output LNB to do this. (Each LNB output has to feed into a Satellite box. ) Taking the signal from the box is better.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,117
    This will give you an overview how a multi lnb works.

Digital Spy Forums - View Single Post - Will the new Humax PVR work with 1 LNB feed?
  6. onesixtyfourth

onesixtyfourth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I think I may be changing my mind here and using an ariel and splitter to get the signal around the house. Sky tv was never the interest I just wanted the freeview channels which is why I posted here. It just so happens that I have a satellite dish and thought I could use it.
  7. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    1/64 - For freeview you need a conventional aerial, not a dish. Dishes are designed to receive the far higher frequencies used for satellite broacasting, and are pointed at a particular satellite. Similarly UHF aerials are designed to receive particular frrequencies and pointed at the transmitter.