1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting freeview signal from one aerial

Discussion in 'Freeview' started by RHardaker, Jan 28, 2003.

1. RHardaker

RHardaker Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I currently get 95% signal from an outside aerial to a panasonic stb and single TV. I have bought a second panasonic stb (some people do like them!) for an upstairs TV and was wondering if I could just use a normal aerial splitter to feed the second box. Has anybody tried this? I was wondering if it would dilute signal too much. The other option is use an amplifier / splitter combined to feed an amplified signal to both boxes.

Thanks,

.Richard
  2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There's really no way to guess. The Freeview box requires at least 25dB "headroom" so, if your splitter reduces it below that margin, it won't work. A typical splitter cuts the signal in half (-3dB) and loses a bit (-4dB). If you can stand to lose 4dB in each receiver then it should be OK.

Be sure to use the proper double-shielded (satellite) cable to minimise losses and potential interference. The shielding on "ordinary" TV coax is only 60% at best. Kind of like using worn remoulds on a Ferrari and hoping it doesn't rain!

If the splitter doesn't work, it should be a simple matter to replace it with a suitable amplifier like the T120 made by Global. This can be powered by a 9 volt DC power supply or by a 9 volt DC feed straight up the cable.

Fman
  3. Pod Person

Pod Person Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I use this method to feed an aerial signal to a digi box and a vcr. For me it gives a much better picture than using a Y splitter. You can get an amp from argos and if it doesn't work then you can get your money back. :)
  4. thamesider

thamesider Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - this looks like a good thread in which to get my queries answered;)

Here goes - This is my current set up - the analogue picture quality is not surprisingly awful.

a) coax from wallplate to signal booster.
    b) signal booster to pace digibox.
    c) digibox to sony vcr
    d) vcr to splitter box
    e) splitter box to (1) sony tv (2) upstairs to 2nd splitter, then coax to both bedrooms:eek:

There must be a better way to get a decent picture and sound to the bedrooms:confused:

Any advice gratefully received, I need to keep the missus happy when i'm watching the footy downstairs:D
  5. Pod Person

Pod Person Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If your pace digibox is the same as mine then it doesn't have a RF output? This is why you are feeding its (scart) signal to a vcr then splitting it to the various tv's?
    Using the various Argos type TV amplifiers I can think of a couple of options. Unfortunately these won't allow you to feed a vcr or digital picture upstairs though. I suspect you have already thought of these anyway but see what you think.

USING A 2 SET BOOSTER>>
    A..coax from wallplate to 2 set signal booster (AMP)
    B..AMP OUTPUT 1 to pace digi box. Digibox scart output to vcr to main Sony tv.
    C..AMP OUTPUT 2 to Y splitter to upstairs tv's.

USING A 3 SET BOOSTER>>
    A..coax from wallplate to 3 set signal booster (Amp)
    B..AMP OUTPUT 1 to pace digi box. Digibox scart to vcr to main Sony tv.
    C..AMP OUTPUT 2 to bedroom set 1.
    D..AMP OUTPUT 3 to bedroom set 2.

Another option is to get a separate aerial installed for the upstairs tv's.
  6. RHardaker

RHardaker Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Update after 2 hours in the loft! :)

I ended up buying all the kit, variable gain amplifier, splitter etc. with the view to taking back what I didn't need.

I ran the outside aerial directly into the amplifier and then used one of the variable gain outputs to feed a 4-way splitter which then fed 3 TV's (2 of which are panasonic STB driven). I could not get a balance between the rf picture quality and the rf quality fed from the STB (tuning video / tv to rf out channel of STB). The digital signal was between 8 and back up to the 9/10 I used to get) - as a result no issues with the digital picture.

I took the amplifier out of the equation and fed the aerial directly into the four way splitter (£8.99 from Focus - Micromark) and both STB's get a signal of 8-9 and all rf pictures are as perfect as they were feeding one TV. So I am happy as I have distributed the signal without the need for an amplifier and power feed etc. I live in Bradford and am receiving the signal from Emley more via a fairly standard Antiference aerial. Think this is about 20 miles away.

The amplifier went back today :)

.Richard
  7. njiri

njiri Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not surprised you get good signal strength in Bradford. The Emley Moor transmitter provides TV for most of Yorkshire. I'm in Sheffield, and get good signal strength from it.
    Interesting thread though. Like you, I'll get all the gear just in case, and take it back if I don't need it.
  8. MAW

MAW New Member

Ratings:
    +483
    I'm running 2 grundig boxes off the same aerial, the 2nd is off the RF pass through! Works fine, but it's in London NW3 (work) Probably a strong signal.
  9. Fernsehman

Fernsehman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than attempt to reply at great length to a rather complex problem, can I direct you to the eBook "Piping TV Around the House" from satcure, which will answer all your questions and more.

I don't want to paste lengthy paragraphs and diagrams here as I'm sure I'll get smacked for breach of copyright, forum rules etc.!

Fman
  10. thamesider

thamesider Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fman just what i'm looking for, should be able to solve my probs now and keep the missus happy:smashin: