Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding on motorway followed by police

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by amd mad, Aug 26, 2009.

1. amd mad

amd mad Member

Ratings:
    +17
    This is a curiosity question.If i was travelling along the motorway and i was coming up to some road works and only one carriage way was left open the other two were coned off,it is a 50mph limit enforced by specs. I am doing 50mph i then notice in my rear view mirror a police car blues'n'twos flashing what should one do in a situation like that ?
  2. phil t

phil t Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Let the police car find a way round you.

People have been fined for "Jumping" a red light, when all the have done is move forward a foot or two to allow a police car past.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. waz2004

waz2004 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Phil is right. Stick to the maximum speed limit (50mph) do not speed up. Do not let the police pressure you to speed up.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I don't understand the hypothetical scenario.
    If two lanes were coned off, you would still have lane one + the hard shoulder.
    So you would just pull onto the hard shoulder and let them past?
    :confused:
  5. amd mad

amd mad Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys would the police not just waive any fine
  6. amd mad

amd mad Member

Ratings:
    +17
    On the West bound side of the M62 just before the link with M1 jct 30? i think. There is road works only the far overtaking lane is open the hard shoulder and lane 1 and 2 are coned off
  7. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ah, right.
    Couldn't figure your quandry out, you should have said which lanes were closed.:smashin::D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. ALI_D

ALI_D Member

Ratings:
    +53
    over 4 billion thanks :eek:
  9. phil t

phil t Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Nope.

:)
  10. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,744
    Could it not be argued that it was Entrapment?
  11. Drd

Drd Member

Ratings:
    +210

You and I are just not very helpful!

Back to the question,I don't think there is a great deal you can do,other than disappear in a puff of smoke. Continue at speed limit to end of roadworks,then pull over. You hear too often of people breaking the law to help the police in this kind of situation, only to be charged themselves for doing so!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,976
    A mate of mine was a victim of that.
    Egged on at some lights by a car next to him.
    He (stupidly) took them on, then the hidden blue lights went on and he was pulled over.
    Really, you'd think they had better things to do, but evidently not.
  13. F1Boy

F1Boy Member

Ratings:
    +14
    It's the police who would use the hard shoulder...
  14. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I've seen them use the hard shoulder when traffic's stopped.
    But would they use the hard shoulder and 'undertake' traffic moving at 50mph?
    Wouldn't that just confuse the hell out of drivers, whose natural reaction (when they see lights/hear sirens) would be to move over to the left?:confused:
  15. eric pisch

eric pisch Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    obey the highway code at all times

if you have no where to go with out breaking it carry on travelling at the speed limit

i know dozens of people who have been fined for going into bus lanes, boxed junctions etc to let passed emergency service vehicles and my assistant has 3 points for jumping a red light to let fire engine go past, he went to magistrate court to plead his case and they had ZERO interest in why he jumped the light and stitched him up like a kipper even thou you can actually see the fire engine in the photo.

the police have no control over automated systems and no control over the courts who deal with offences.

the situation is so bad now in london with this crappy system many people will not let emergency service vehicles past if they can not do so legally. I dont.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  16. eric pisch

eric pisch Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    the officer driving has to make a judgement call as to how to proceed, they are trained to do this. if they ignore there training and cause an accident they can be jailed.
  17. TEKNICOLOURFOX

TEKNICOLOURFOX Member

Ratings:
    +63
    slightly different but i remember a story (true one!) about a guy who was stationary at a traffic lights on red, ambulance came up flashing etc and he moved past the line to let it get through, was flashed etc by camera, he took it to court and was basically told he shouldnt have gone through the red light, fine stood...

so I'd say stick to the law of the road, not particularly a good thing sometimes, but you may find you pay if not
  18. FazerThou

FazerThou Member

Ratings:
    +104
    But why are the cameras there? Because people used to consistantly break the rules and sit in yellow boxes, gamble at traffic lights etc etc. How many times have you or anyone else reading gone into a yellow box because if you don't everyone else will and you'd be sat at a green light forever. So if there was no need for the camera then the situations you mentioned in your post wouldn't have been fined etc.

Basically what i'm saying is that we're all so bloody important that we must get where we are going in the fastest possible time because the world will end if I have to wait 30 seconds for this traffic light to cycle its way back to green.:suicide:

P
  19. eric pisch

eric pisch Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    sorry its BS, common sense has to take precedence, i agree you need to punish people who ignore such constantly things but you shouldnt punish people for breaking the highway code for getting out of the way of emergency services or taking avoiding action

take this morning, filtering across a box junction, had plenty of room, transit van infront of me does an emergency stop (i cant see what's infront of it) which means my ass will stop in a box junction and i will get fined, i have plenty of room to stop but to stop me getting a fine i swap lanes and cut the car up in the next lane.

and your deluded if you think these cameras are anything other than cash raising exercises

this was the good thing about when we used to have police policing motorists they could use common sense to determine if you where a cock or taking appropriate safe action.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  20. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,126
  21. FazerThou

FazerThou Member

Ratings:
    +104
    I agree that common sense should prevail but it becomes open to abuse.

How did you know you had plenty of room when you couldn't see in front of the van in which case you shouldn't have entered the box junction until you could see your exit was clear.

I do think they are used to make money and totaly agree that there should be more police to monitor idiots on the road.

Paul
  22. eric pisch

eric pisch Active Member

Ratings:
    +764

Its timing and experience, if everyone waited to stop start like you suggest traffic through put would be be 1/20th.
  23. eric pisch

eric pisch Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    sums this country up under nulabore
  24. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    And things are going to be better for the motorist under the Tories?
  25. eric pisch

eric pisch Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    this lot coming, doubt it, although they probably appreciate that most motorists are voters
  26. FazerThou

FazerThou Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Timing and experience which caused you to get it wrong. I never said stop, just leave a slightly bigger gap allowing yourself to see if the car/van in front is going to clear the box. By your own admission you didn't give yourself enough room and nearly got caught out.

But it does kinda back up what I'm trying to say in that most people think "it's okay i'm only a bit in the box", then the next person sees them and thinks if he's doing i will, and so on.
  27. amd mad

amd mad Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys for all your repiles, have helped me allot another point for me against SWMBO.
  28. featherhall

featherhall Active Member

Ratings:
    +634
    Its a disgrace mate. I knew someone who got a fine for going through a red light to allow a fire engine through, although it was later quashed but he had loads of time and hassle in getting it taken off.
    Bottom line is - let them go round you. I will never move for an emergency vehicle as a result of this nonsense.
  29. russyj

russyj Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Damn right! Time is money :cool:

People who stop in yellow boxes need to be punished with more than points. My car park exit goes onto a busy road, with a yellow box in the left-direction lane right in front of the exit, so that if you want to exit right it doesnt matter if theres traffic going in the opposite direction, you can still get across the lane. Good system. Until some %@#! stops right in the yellow box and i'm stuck there, often for up to 5 minutes because I miss at least 2 traffic light cycles. When they do it to me now, I lean on my horn for the full duration of their foray into the yellow box. You'll be amazed the things they do to get out of my way (i've got an ex-police horn :D). Unless the driver looks bigger than me. Then I just :hiya:
  30. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Member

Ratings:
    +24
    The recent story about the guy getting 3 points for going through the red light cos he was letting through a police van is a classic, typical Britain. The result of that is someone will likely die because people after reading that story will now not do things like move through a red light to let emergency vehicals through and someone in need of desperate attention may not get it in time.

I for one wouldnt do it, not now anyway.