1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed test web sites and SKY router results.

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by Mad Mikeyboy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Perhaps someone can clear something up for me. I recently changed to Sky Max upto 16M package from AOL 16M pakage, but things seemed a little slower. After some investigation on how to test via the router I came up with the results below-

DSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 8160 kbps 768 kbps
    Line Attenuation 21 db 5 db
    Noise Margin 11 db 14 db

Not too bad you may think.

The thing is almost every web site and speed checker I have tried tell a different story around 1-2Mb sometimes even less.

Can all these speed checkers be wrong???

I have tried 5 or 6 different ones at various times of the day.
    Whats the story?? Anyone??
    Cheers.
  2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Having regularly used this one;

http://www.speedtest.net/

for over a year, I can confirm that it is extremely reliable.
    The Maidenhead server especially, has high throughput and I've actually seen 22Mb on my 20Mb cable connection.

Whatever, you need to find a test site that gives you the fastest speed and then stick to it, for a good while IMO, to get proper comparisons.
    Given that you're going through copper, it may be that 8Mb is as much as it's possible for you to get.
    In which case, I'm afraid to say, the upgrade was a total waste of time/money :(
  3. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    [​IMG]

I would be quite happy with 8Mgb.

But all these sites say it's alot less:confused:

My distance to the exchange nearbye is 831m. I can see it from my bedroom window.
    The reason for the change by the way was not an upgrade but to pay less money for the same service and AOL providing me with a router uncompatible with Xbox live.
  4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Run the same test 3 or 4 (different) times a day for a couple of weeks, if you can.
    This will give you a true(r) picture of what your connection is capable of.

Even at 300 miles, that's poor :thumbsdow

Although you're only 830M from the exchange, that's not the whole story.
    Just crappy old copper can cause that sort of problem.
    A mate of mine is literally within a few yards of his exchange and the best he can get is 6Mb.

I assume you've opened up your phone line box to check for old manky connections and are plugged into the main incoming box (not an extension or secondary box)?
  5. mitchec1

mitchec1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    With your line attenuation you should get 16mb quite easily.

Personally I suspect you've been capped at 8mb but without full router stats can't be sure if you can get them your mode will be G.DMT instead of ASDL2 if I'm correct

If it's the new Sagem or netgear I fear a call to sky to check maybe in order or you can look at www.skyuser.co.uk they might have ways of getting stats of the new routers.
  6. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    After various lengthy phone calls to sky support they have suggested that it is due to various active internet connections. Something like limewire, (which is not running) or spyware,(I'm a MAC user so not likely). Therefor they are unable to help me any further. Absolutely useless!!!

So I have turned to my more reliable source of good information, you guys.

I have also posted a thread in the MAC section on this topic.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672944

Maybe this makes some sense to someone. Not me!
  7. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    I had a very similar issue recently. Still at a bit of a loss to explain it but it's sorted now......

I sync between 12 & 13Mb

I could not get any faster than 2.5Mb throughput using speedtests.

I could not get any faster than 2.5Mb on http downloads/streams using Firefox or IE.

Yet I could max out my connection on http if I used the downthemall plug-in on Firefox. I also had no problem maxing out my connection on bittorrent or nntp.

So what was the fix...well it was as simple as running TCP Optimizer, a program I often recomend to others to squeeze some extra speed, yet strangely it was the last thing I thought of trying for my own problem! On this occasion the difference in speedtests was a bit more than a squeeze though.

Now I am not sure if TCP Optimizer is available for mac, but if not then there must be other ways of tweeking TCP settings on a mac. Alas I would not have a clue where to start there. Of course your problem may be because of something totally different, but I think this avenue is worth exploring. As a matter of interest are you signed up to any newsgroups, and if so what speeds do they report?

On another issue I suspect your sync speed means you are on G.DMT & not ADSL2+. You may want to see if sky support will change you onto ADSL2+, but that can be a real battle convincing them that your line will be stable enough to handle it. Best bet is try to get through to tier 3 & give them your line stats.

My speedtest result after using TCP Optimizer...
    [​IMG]
  8. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately most of what you said was gobbledegook to me...I thought TCP was an antiseptic your mum puts on your skint knees.

Joking aside, It gives me a good place to start. I fear a few more calls to sky and alot of head scratching on the internet is in store.

Strangely, below is a test I did just now, which at 5.30pm I would have thought was a peak time when good results are less likely. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the results I get.

[​IMG]
  9. jason g

jason g Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,271
    heres mine im with aol, should be getting 8mb.
    11:50pm.
    [​IMG]
  10. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    I'm on the 16MB Max package and get 14MB, which I'm more than happy with.

I'm getting some blinding speeds on private torrent sites ;)

Speedtest.net reports it as a touch under 13MB, which I'm still chuffed with. I'll post the full results later as I'm at work right now.
  11. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Here's mine as promised...

[​IMG]

Certainly better than the 2MB I was getting from Bulldog, despite paying for 8MB :(
  12. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    And the best part is those speeds tend to hold pretty steady around the clock, at least that's been my experience.

Have you tried TCP Optimizer? You may be able to squeeze a little more throughput (as if you need it!).
  13. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    I havent tried TCP Optimizer yet mate. Like you say, I dont think I really need it! Then again, I might give it a try just for the sake of it ;)

It's so good to be away from Bulldog. Not only am I saving £15 p/m but I'm finally getting decent speeds and a reliable connection! It's good to hear the speeds hold up too.

I'll definately be recommending it to friends and family who also have Sky TV.
  14. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Just noticed you're in Aberdeen, as am I. In that case think I will change my tune in case you happen to be on the same exchange as me. Hands off my bandwidth !!! :D
  15. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Haha!

You'll share my woes about how long it took to get decent broadband in Aberdeen then?

I'm on the Denburn exchange btw ;)
  16. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Yup, we're starting to catch up now though. I'm on Lochnagar, so download to your hearts content mate!
  17. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Haha, dont worry... I will be making full use of my new and improved internet!
  18. Spysmys

Spysmys Member

Ratings:
    +2
    not bad for a 11mb line (thanks to Sky broadband and TCP Optimizer)

[​IMG]
  19. monstaracerr

monstaracerr Member

Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG]

heres mine just now, mid day using virgin 20Mb

fastest I've ever seen it, although wireless slows this baby right down!