Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers or monitors for small room (kitchen) window sill ~200

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Maxson, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Maxson

Maxson Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Does anyone here have speakers on their windowsill in a small room?

In a past home I ran speaker cable from the second output of my amp from the living room to some some cheap wall mount speakers in the kitchen. This cost me ~£20 for the speakers and maybe £5 for the cable plus lots of time and effort. The sound was surpirsingly good and I really like having music in the kitchen. I left the speakers and wires in place when I moved from there though.

I'd like to get music sorted out for my kitchen in my current flat as it makes cooking and washing up so much more enjoyable. I can turn up the living room speakers so I can hear that and the GF says that's all I need but turning up is not great for the neghbors, the sound is not that direct and my AV amp does use lots of power. I like a kitchen stereo!

A squeezebox touch is my ideal source and I bought another one recently for the kichen so that's the start point.

I have tried using my Gale G20 speakers and http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-f...398037-mini-t-2020-20w-class-t-amplifier.html from my bedroom to the kichen to try. This is what is in the photo. I like it that the amp only uses 1 watt of power for normal listening level. I like the light wood colour of the speakers with the wood frame altough when you have green/yellow cupboards and curtains (my flat is rented) aesthetics are maybe irrelevant. The volume/power is plenty for such a small room. I did find that the curtains really muffle the sound if in front of the tweeters at all so they are now well tied back and will stay that way. I didn't like at first that even with the curtains well back the speakers are very boomy due to being right in the corners of the window but I soon got used to that. I think the gale bookshelf speakers are quite forward in the mid-bass anyway to make up for lack of bass extension. Maybe putting a bookshelf speaker on a shelf (is bookshelf speaker a misnomer?) is asking for a very overblown bass. I can live with it but maybe something different might be better in such a corner.

My current kitchen is really small, 6ft x 9ft and for me the best place to put speakers is on the window sill. So what would you suggest?

I'm thinking I might get another mini-t amp (£65) and some small bookshelf speakers as I know that will work but maybe not ideal for the circumstance ie. corner, listening sometimes really close when at the sink.

I would quite like these or these but maybe they are way too much and I should go smaller. Also I think rear porting might not be good for a shelf. What do you think?
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/monitor-audio/bronze-bx1/moni-audio-bx1-oak
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/dali/zensor-1/dali-zensor-1-blk (i might try to get a wood finish)

I searched and found some old threads about speakers for a kichen including one on here (http://www.avforums.com/forums/what...g-studio-monitors-instead-hi-fi-speakers.html) where Studio Monitors were suggested as ideal for a kitchen. Is that a good idea? I like it that the bass might be more controlled and I like an uncoloured sound in general. I like it that some of them are white which should look nice in any kitchen. I don't like it that they all seem to be class A/B amps and the ones I can find a power use for state 40w which is quite high, much more than the mini-t amp. Are there any that are class D? Here are some I am considering, what do you think?

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...e-nearfield-studio-monitors-white-pair--76509 the fostex have some good reviews online
    http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/behringer-thuth-b1030a-active-studio-monitor-single--84178 & a review: http://therecordingrevolution.com/2011/06/29/behringer-truth-b1030a-studio-monitors-review-video/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. Maxson

Maxson Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Hmm no replies. I have been looking at Audioengine A2s as well as they were recommended in another thread.
  3. bukem

bukem Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm also looking for small speakers for my bedroom. If I get chance this weekend, I'm going to try and demo a set of M-Audio Studiophile AV3 speakers. They're cheaper too, almost half the price of the A2's.
  4. dogfonos

dogfonos Member

Ratings:
    +98
    I'd suggest that whatever speakers you choose, stick with a model with a bass/mid driver no larger than about 4" (10cm). I suspect even a 5" (12.5cm) driver would overwhelm your room with bass because it's a tiny room and the speakers can't be ideally positioned.

I too like the idea of powered, multi-media type speakers for your situation. The Audioengine A2's are towards the higher end of the minature multimedia 2.0 speaker market but probably an ideal size. If you want to spend less, might be worth looking at professional audio retailers who sell cheaper alternatives - don't know how good any of these will be though.
  5. Maxson

Maxson Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I would like to know what you think of them. One review on Amazon said they have an audible buzz all the time.

The A2 look nice in white but I want cloth grilles to ward off occasional splashes. Also there are some reports of an audible hum with those as well.
  6. Maxson

Maxson Member

Ratings:
    +71

Attached Files:

7. BarnDoor

BarnDoor Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I think your best bet would be to go down to Richer Sounds and take a listen to the couple of speakers you mentioned in your original post and perhaps also a few of the others they have there such as the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, Q Acoustics 2020i & Mission MX1. Not trying to plug richer sounds, but they will have the best selection that meets your budget and requirements.

I recently upgraded my kitchen bookshelf speakers and found that what I liked the sound of was different to another member on here who listened to pretty much the same speakers.

I listened to the MA BX2 (slightly larger version of the BX1 you mentioned) and thought they were exceptional for the price, I did however think that they were slightly bright and attacking for my liking. My concern was that if they sounded a bit bright in the showroom then this would be even more the case in my kitchen. I preferred the sound of the Tannony DC6, which I found smoother and more natural (and ended up buying). I also listened to the Tannoy DC4, which are probably about the right size for you (albeit perhaps out of budget at £299) and also liked these. They sounded very similar to the DC6, but obviously with slightly less bottom end.

Another member on here much preferred the MA BX over the tannoys, so it is very much down to personal taste.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Maxson

Maxson Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks. I did pop in to RS but all their speakers under 100 were only in black and the GF said black speakers would look naff in the kitchen. I received a pair of MA vector 10 today and they look nice in white, better than the picture. I hope they sound as good as they look.

I think those tannoys would be too big and bassy for my windowsill!
  9. BarnDoor

BarnDoor Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I'm sure you'll be very happy with them. I suspected the picture of the white V10's didn't do them justice based on how glossy the pictures for the black version look. Fantastic price as well!

My previous kitchen speakers were MA radius. MA do really well at getting sound beyond their size out of small speakers.
    Make sure you post back how you get on once they are run in.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Maxson

Maxson Member

Ratings:
    +71
    As an update my speakers are in place and all run in now and I'm very happy with them. When I had them in the living room for testing and running in they were on top of my floorstanding speakers. In the open space they sounded clear but a bit too much high end and weak in the low end and no comparison to the bigger speakers. When they were run in and placed in the corners of the windowsill the sound was much improved by the wall reinforcement and the sound seems well balanced. They even sound good with bass music with not too much boominess. I would say these are a true bookshelf speaker in that they are well suited to corner locations and not standmounting in free space. They also look good, with comments such as 'they look like an apple product' and the white is good in the kitchen.

As for the squeezebox touch, I already like this product a lot and I love having all my music at my fingertips in the kitchen.

The amptastic mini-t amp works well as expected. I already like this product. The low power is enough for such a small room.

To sum up: :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012