1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers emitting constant buzz

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by crydee, Jan 17, 2009.

1. crydee

crydee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an onkyo sr606 with some older model of their 7.1 speakers set up. I don't believe that is relevant though because before I hooked the speakers and receiver up I was getting the buzz on my TV speakers.

All I had was my TV and cable box for a bit and had them hooked up with simple rca and composite cable. When it was on the TV speakers would still admit the buzz.

The TV is plugged into the reciever with an HDMI cable and it's a Samsung LN46A550

Now that I'm waiting on a ps3 for a blu-ray player all I have is my cable box hooked up through the receiver with the RCA/composite cables and it's still doing it even with my old dvd player hooked up the same way. When I was messing with my cables though if I unplugged the HDMI cable while everything else was still running and the same the buzz would stop.

Any ideas? The buzz is pretty audible and you always have to turn up the TV loud to drown it out. :lease:
  2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin Member

Ratings:
    +1,271
    First off, describe the buzz. Is it a constant 50Hz hum (the word buzz implies no) or does it have a higher pitch with no clear frequency. The first is probably a ground loop and is usually easy to fix but a pain in the neck to track down.

Start of by unplugging the coax from the cable box to its wall socket. You won't be able to watch TV of course, but does the noise go?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  3. crydee

crydee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe it is more of a lower pitched hum. Ground loop sounds right.

I unplugged the coax cable from the wall and the hum went away on all input sources I had selected on the receiver where as the hum was on all of them before. You were exactly right!

I do know I have about 6 cable lines coming from the street outside into the house and a signal amplifier which the cable guy said I needed because of all the lines.

Is there a inline ground loop isolator for coax cable?
  4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin Member

Ratings:
    +1,271
    As suspected: you need a coax ground loop isolator on each coax run, such as this. You should be able to pick up one from your local A/V dealer, cable TV supplier or electronics outlet.