Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Richy1984, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I currently have my speakers wired as in the first image. With the +ve and -ve wiring connected to the LF, and the jumper bars then connecting the LF and HF.

However when I was in sevenoaks for a demo, I noticed they had the speaker as wired in the 2nd image. Is this a better wire to do it? As I'd have though it ensures that both the HF and LF get a decent signal. ??

Rich

Attached Files:

2. tuny79

tuny79 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    A lot of shops wire them this way not sure it makes a massive difference but it's how I also run 2 core cable so do it either way you like
    Regards jim
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. swiftpete

swiftpete Active Member

Ratings:
    +452
    I've tried it both ways and not heard a difference.
  4. Richy1984

Richy1984 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    If I did wire it with one wire in the HF and one in the LF, does it make a difference which is connected with the positive wire, and which with the negative?
  5. steveledzep

steveledzep Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I wouldn't worry about it. My speakers are bi-wired, I did it because I had sufficient cable. I can't hear a difference !!!
  6. adg243

adg243 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Very interesting

A topic that is decades in age. Higher end speakers tend to bi wire able, which means bi wiring should provide some value.

Would love to hear experience of somebody else who think otherwise

Adam
  7. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,233
    Bi-wired mine and can't notice any difference at all.
  8. ellison

ellison Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I wonder whether different grade/type cable for the LF and HF would make a difference?.I use 6mm van damme cable on my adagios (not bi wireable).Its like a pair of pythons slithering along my carpet,so Ive tried 2.5 and 4mm van damme for cosmetic reasons.However i can hear the difference when the 6mm is not being used ,especially on White Lies cd on the bass heavy parts.Logic tells me i shouldnt be able to hear any difference but i can ,,,even with my eyes shut. :eek:
  9. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,194
    It's Bi-Amping that potentially produces better results, not Bi-Wiring
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. adg243

adg243 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Tell me Dodge,

Have you tried bi-amping? Curious if you can share the experience on the musicality/sonics post and pre bi amplification

Thanks in advance

Adam
  11. Wilseus

Wilseus Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Doing this is not recommended. If there is any audible difference between the two cables then all it can do is make the integration between the bass and treble worse.
  12. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel Active Member

Ratings:
    +348
    I have biamped (currently do) and biwired

I have had success with both and failure with both. I usually find the issue is a lack of sonic integrity as you complicate, but with potential improvements in dynamics, speed and resolution.

I use Sonus Fabers in two systems and horns in another. SF are for me hit and miss with biwiring, interesting they no longer terminate for biwiring or biamping.

One example, I preferred Elector amateurs biwired but not extremas I LOVE extremes bi-amped with four naim mono amps, but did not get on at all with two mono's and one stereo (135's and 250) the only different between a 250 and 135's are the 250 shares the power supply between two channels, the 135's have separate power supplies

I am afraid you will have to experiment...........

As for choice of terminals that's a very easy experiment !
  13. eagle02

eagle02 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I was in Sevenoaks at the weekend looking at new cables and they recommended hooking them up as per the OPs 'non conventional' picture 2 also.

I have B&W 602 S3's being powered off a Denon 2310 and hooked up with QED Silver Anniversary (non-XT). My issue has always been a lack of air and space / dynamics in the sound. It's not muffled, it's very clear (almost too clear - the B&Ws are quite bright / exuberent on the top end), but the audio always sounds 'at the speakers' rather than 'in the room' is the best I can describe.

I tried hooking up the speakers as per OP pic 2, and might might might be able to detect the slightest of improvements, but it's so small I wouldn't commit to that.

I've also tried bi-amping with the 7.1 Amp rears and some spare QED Qudos I had. I expected a difference but didn't get one! Might be the cable is a lesser one than the S.A I suppose (or that the 7.1 amps need running in as they've never been used?).

Most noticiable change so far is by swapping to some Chord Odyssey 2 that Sevenoaks kindly lent me on demo. A better sound but still not a room-filler. Beyond that the only options are replacing the HF / LF shorting plates with some decent cable jumpers, or trying Chord Odyssey 4.

In short, much playing and little percieved benefits at the moment. I'm glad to see that a couple of others above have seen little benefits on some cases - most posts on the net rave over bi-amp, bi-wire and anything else people can do!!

Interested to hear other views.... :)
  14. ellison

ellison Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe the positioning of the speakers is the problem?.Some ideas here ...
    Speaker PLACEMENT / Set Up / POSITION Loudspeakers ADVICE Room SHAPE ACOUSTICS