Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker grills...

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by vinylman, Jan 21, 2013.

1. vinylman

vinylman Member

Ratings:
    +16
    On or off for best sound?
  2. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Off. Small children and pets permitting. The Grille vibrates on the one hand, and muffles slightly on the other.
  3. vinylman

vinylman Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Agreed! I've always kept the grills on my B&Ws but took them off at Xmas and now can't bear to put them back on. The music sounds much clearer to my ears now. The grills are supposed to be sonically invisible but I have discovered this to be a lie!
  4. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    I always take the grills off. The grills on my KEF 3005s are held in place by a magnet, that makes it very easy to remove. My floor standing Missions are a pain to get off and on.
  5. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    The Tannoy mains are easy to get the grilles off, and the room they are in is 'pet monitored' so keeping them off is fine. The Monitor Audio's though are a sod to get on and off, the pets are always in that room, so I can't be bothered!
  6. vinylman

vinylman Member

Ratings:
    +16
    My friend raves about his Martin Logan electrostatics. They cost him a bomb but I prefer the sound of my 684s with or without the grilles on!
  7. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,052
    On my TDL KV1's I have always had the grills off, i like the look of the yellow (is it canvas) cones, I have always had the grills in place on the Mordaunt Short 916i's not a big fan of the metallic section and cones..though always liked the sound of the continuous profile cones.

Curly
  8. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Very much a love 'em or loathe 'em sound on Electrostatics. A friend of my uncles (not that sort of friend!) had a pair of Quad ESLs and I found them too much for me.
  9. windhoek

windhoek Member

Ratings:
    +144
    The grills for my Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 speaker have never been on at all. This is partly because I once had a pair speakers with a half-grill (i.e. it didn't cover the full length of the speakers) which were always on and when I sold them a few years ago, I noticed the part of the speakers which wasn't covered was a slightly different shade from the part that was covered.

I had to declare this when I sold them and so from now on, if I ever own speakers from new with a half-grill, I won't put them on in case light sun-bleaching occurs again. Fwiw, I don't think they were ever exposed to direct sunlight, but my living room does get a lot of sun in general.
  10. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +170
    Can't hear any difference myself, try it and see, they're your ears.
  11. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Too much time spent at Hydrogena. They've made a cynic of you. ;)
  12. coffeeaddict68

coffeeaddict68 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Def off for me!!

Sat here listening now on my Mission 752 freedom floorstanders with old school Quad amps - love it !!

Chris S
  13. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +170
    I can't hear any difference. I keep them off purely because they look nicer without :)

And if HA teaches people to question stuff instead of just believing what someone writes on the t'internet I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing.
  14. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Well, as said above it depends on the listener and the speaker. Each to their own. There are reasons why even speaker manufacturers (and I bow to their wisdom) recommend taking them off.

As for HA, that's the point, they don't encourage debate. They state 'this is right because we say so' and then if anyone questions it they are treated pretty much as a heretic to be publicly burned. Or in this case flamed. This is bad science, not good.

This is why the Hoffers are better. Yes they are totally nuts, but at least you can pick out some sense and points of interest rather than just 'I'm right you're wrong' based on pseudo science.

You've guessed it, they get on my **** at Hydro.
  15. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +170
    So asking for proof that when you say something is better than something else is bad then? How is having a set of TOS that specifically requires people to provide evidence and proof of what they're saying 'bad science'?

I'll go tell all the scientists they no longer need to submit any proof of anything they create, just post it on the internet because that makes it true.
  16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Mine have always been on but I admit they do look better without. I haven't heard any difference with my B&W 601's and 602's. The grills can get dusty so I at least they stop the dust getting down the air hole.

The grills on my B&W 2002 were part of the speaker and couldn't be removed.
  17. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Which, despite the fact you consistently ignore it because it cuts across your view of Hydro, is what they do. They slam anyone who disagrees with their accepted views despite the fact they apply 'Cod science' Ie made up on the cuff, to prove their point. No-one on there is a scientist, none of what the publish as 'fact' is proven via the scientific method; hypothesis, experiment, results, then repeatable. Some if it is laughable, in particular as if you do try and repeat it (which is a proof of scientific analysis) you can't.

Yet you you take their word for it and claim they are scientific! :facepalm:

I totally agree with the view that science should be applied where possible, but a bunch of guys on the internet who can put up whatever they like and claim it's Science, and deride anyone who disagrees with, frankly isn't being scientific. Which, I thought was one of your complaints?
  18. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +590
    Couldn't agree more, I've tried back to back blind listening and I really can't hear any difference, I will say that most customers I have in though like the Grills to be removed, so that seems more the norm I guess.
  19. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Really depends on the speakers. Plus the manufacturers generally say take 'em off, so we used to go with their request. Some I could hear a clear difference, some, if it's well designed, you can't. I think it may also be a cultural thing, something you could check?

In my day, the grille was much more of an 'afterthought' badly designed and just there to keep little fingers (and pets claws) out of fragile drivers. They vibrated badly, and caused a break up in sound. By the mid 90's though, we noticed they were much better designed. Now, I should think they are in a different league.

You might find then, that older customers, used to crap grilles of old, want them off, while younger customers, used to new speakers, aren't bothered.

Just a thought. It may be *******, but you never know. ;)