Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker cable to extend Sony surround system?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by opbyrne, May 27, 2010.

1. opbyrne

opbyrne Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have searched the forums and not found anything on this question..I have even emailed Sony Tech Support and they were less than useless, but I'm sure AVF can help!

I have a Sony HTSS1100 surround sound system with 5.1 speakers. It comes with the usual crappy speaker cable with two wire ends that fit into red and black connections in the speaker (the type where you push down on a plastic catch and insert the wire, then release).

I emailed Sony Tech Support and asked what this cable was so I could buy some more (the current wire is too short for the rear speakers) and also what speaker cable would be compatible if I wanted to upgrade the cable.

I got a reply saying the cable was 'standard speaker cable' (helpful) and it was available from all audio stores. No rating, type or anything technical. They also said they didn't know if I could upgrade it.

My question to AVF then, is what is this cable and what is it called if I want to buy some in an electrical shop?

Many thanks

OB
  2. gurpswoo1

gurpswoo1 Member

Ratings:
    +53
    The speaker cable Sony provide with the HTSS1100 is the basic of basic, it gets the job done. The reason it is so thin is that the sat speakers don't give out Bass or even some mid range so require very little Amps. Any speaker cable from ebay that is 1mm is considerbly better than the cable sony provide. don't go for the 2.5mm or more as these will not fit well with those types of connection.

Whats is your budget and lenght requirements?

These are not badly priced:
    Speaker Loudspeaker OFC Cable Wire 2X 0.40 MM² 25Mtr on eBay (end time 23-Jun-10 14:12:01 BST)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. opbyrne

opbyrne Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gurps - budget is not an issue, and length is about 8-10metres. that said, its not an expensive system so spending hundreds on cabling wouldn't make too much sense.

I was pretty sure the cable is c**p just didn't know what to replace it with. Sounds like i should replace all of it because the cables that go to sub and front speakers looks the same. That said, as i live in a flat I can never really crank up the volume on my system so the weakness of the cabling doesn't really manifest itself - gaming, movies, tv, all sound pretty good.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010