Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spartacus: Vengeance - Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by raigraphixs, Apr 29, 2011.

1. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,007
    I have not watched it yet but I think people should give the new guy a chance before writing him off, also the first episode of Blood & Sand was terrible and cheesy it was not until you watched a few episodes it started to fall into place. People said this about Gods of the Arena also.
    Give the show a chance and the new guy.
    You wont be able to replace Andy but atleast we do get more Spartacus and I am going to give it a chance, no doubt it will deliver soon enough. By Jupitors Male Chicken I have Faith in Spartacus :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Lalonde

Lalonde Member

Ratings:
    +195
    I think most will Tones, but for me it will be a struggle to accept this new guy as Spartacus, not just because of no more Andy but because I didn't think he was very good. Also going to miss John Hannahs Batiatus.

Loved Gods of the Arena straight from the off, which leads me to question why this didn't grab me. There was just something very flat about the first episode
  3. Chox1988

Chox1988 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,966
    I think batiatus is a huge loss, gods of the arena was so much better than blood and sand imo. But that said I agree with tones, I cant think of a single person that liked spartacus straight away, took a few episodes then it was great
  4. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,486
    Yeah but are we not past the "getting into it" stage.

For me, I actually enjoyed it generally, it wasn't the content.

It was the lack of the key characters that screwed it for me.
  5. Chox1988

Ratings:
    +6,966
    I think the change of characters and huge change of story means the getting into it period has probably started all over again, theres all the chance it could turn out to be dire but Im going to give it 3 or 4 episodes before I make up my mind
  6. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,486
    I don't think it's dire at all, I enjoyed a lot of it, I just don't buy into Spartacus at all.

Which is a bit of a problem, he seems to totally lack the intensity, something isn't there.

We may just adjust , but I think it will be a downward adjustment.
  7. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,007
    I think thats why I am going to save a few up as I am sure like other I wont like the new guy in place of Andy and hopefully watching a few back to back will help.
    I agree about Batiatus, he will be a huge loss but hopefully some other characters emerge. He did have some classic lines. No doubt John Hannah is gutted too with all the lady scenes he had :laugh:
    I also enjoyed Gods Of The Arena from the off but I think that was more to do with knowing how good Spartacus was and knowing this would be great also. Took me time to warm up to Ganacus (think that was the main dude) though.

I might watch it and agree with everyone but thats why I am saving them up. Am sure its still alot better than most shows. Boobs and blood is always a winner for me :D
  8. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    i just couldnt help but think every time i saw him... that isnt spartacus :D.
    however i take back what i said about giving up on it and i will give it a few more episodes. time will tell.
  9. muffins

muffins Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    He just isn't as ripped as AW was...
  10. richp007

richp007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,214
    It will miss John Hannah greatly. Pity they didn't find a way to keep him alive, but that wouldn't have worked I guess.

Gonna watch the 1st episode tonight :thumbsup:
  11. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,817
    Episode 2: A Place in This World

Good episode. The first few minutes were pretty violent, just seemed more so as i was eating at the time and it put me off.

Good to see
    Ashur
    again.

Best was Oenomaus' story.

I was not sure what Lucretia was up to with the ritual, but she's got the look back in her eyes when she saw
    Ashur
    , can't wait for her to get back to her normal cruel self.

Illythia naked always a highlight, and any other female slave
  12. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +409
    It all seems abit dull for me so far with to many new face just appearing on screen. The new Spartacus i can't get used to either.
  13. stument

stument Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,080
    i waas thinking the same!

first episode was pretty decent when i saw the orignal cast appearing, but all the new people... gaaaaa going to take a few episodes to get use to :(
  14. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,486
    Annamais (spelling) backstory was great, and slowly pulling Lucretia back in and the storyline with the note was great, loved that.

In fact any time it focussed on the old characters it was solid.

I still can't buy into Spartacus, he lacks intensity for lack of a better word.

I miss Andy and nobody is close to replacing Battiatus yet, without those two it's still floundering for me.
  15. Chox1988

Ratings:
    +6,966
    I'd agree with all of that, not sure if its just the nature of the storyline but they havent given spartacus much air time, whether its for the better or worse remains to be seen
  16. richp007

richp007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Just watched the first 2 episodes and I think its great stuff.

I like the new Spartacus - nobody can replace Andy - but I think this lad will grow into the role as the series progresses. Sadly John Hannah will be missed, regardless of how good the series turns out, but that can't be helped :(

I thought the back story with Oenamus was great, and it was good to see Asha back. Just 1 more big character to welcome back now, and business will have well and truly picked up :thumbsup:
  17. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +321
    I got all confused with the Oenamus back story as I had become accustomed to him being called Doctori (spelling). Even when Batiatus Dad appeared on the screen I thought “I recognise him” but I couldn’t place him until I realised it was a back story and then it fell in to place.
    Maybe some more back stories featuring John Hannah as Batiatus would be a good way of bringing him back without bringing him back, if you know what I mean.

Overall the 2nd episode was ok but there are too many new characters on screen at the moment and it’s all a little confusing
  18. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge Member

Ratings:
    +229
    Sky+ FAILED !!!!

So will watch on Sunday - even my wife was Jupiter's Chicken when we sat down and it showed it failed to record!
  19. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Too much style over substance. There seems even more slow mo action scenes instead of letting the fighting happen in real time.

It's annoying me.
  20. hits76

hits76 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Glad I'm not the only one! The slo mo was way over done... so annoying.
  21. Doctor Smirnoff

Doctor Smirnoff Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Watched Eps 1 &2 back to back last night and it left me a little underwhelmed.

I can see how it may become more interesting over time and the more that we get original characters back the more reassured I am. But agree that there's too much 'new stuff' going on and with passing reference to things that happened a few years ago now... tough to keep up.

As for Spartacus himself... nope. It's interesting to see the 'skinny Steve' special effect used in Captain America used here also - but it's just distracting. He just isn't inspiring, tough, ripped or even natural... bad choice. I'd have rather seen Crixus lead.

Aside from that, the sets look cheap and the whole thing is overlit... You used to get a feel for the hot sun beating down in the arena, now you get a feeling that the grip is stood about two yards away with a mega wattage s studio light.

But it has boobs n blood and Lucy Lawless is still amazing in every regard... so I'll watch and hope. At least it's only 12 eps.
  22. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +409
    Crixus is the main reason for me to keep watching it at the moment.
  23. Nobbler

Nobbler Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Hope this doesn't make me sound nasty - none intended but with the event of the prequel series in between the two Spartacus led stories, I kinda forgot all about Andy and it's as if this new guy has been playing him all along. I've only ever watched as they've been shown over here and never re-visited them on disc but for me, this series seemes to be just right.
    I read a lot about the Roman empire (I'm by no means an expert but have read all of Simon Scarrows and Ben Kanes books - except Spartacus funny enough but it's on my Kindle) and they seem to have the setting just right.
  24. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +319
    +1
  25. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +409
    Me and my big mouth. It was a good episode this week though it made up for the first two.
  26. Lalonde

Lalonde Member

Ratings:
    +195
    Much better episode - although that may be due to more Crixus and less Spartacus.

Series is improving but the new guy is still crap, and a few too many Shortland Street extras. The Kiwi accent is sooo distracting.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  27. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,817
    Episode 3: The Greater Good - 8.5/10

Very good episode, high on action, Ashur steals it for me.
    How many rescues do our rebels have to perform, one saved, another caught.

Poor Oenomaus, the whole Melitta and Gannicus actions laid out for him
  28. AML

AML Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    Very good ep indeed! Started a bit slow for me, this season did, but now getting back in shape.

I also don't particularly like the new sparty, but what choice do we have?

I'm sure he will grow on us in time. He just doesn't have the same screen presence as Andy! And he's physically not big enough. He really needs to start bulking up.

I can sort of see what direction it's going in with crixus/ashur/oenomaus

Hope to see Ganicus in this show!
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  29. Chox1988

Ratings:
    +6,966
    This, im sure he looks stacked next to normal people but next to the herculean cast he looks very small, doesnt look or feel like a leader
  30. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,416
    They haven't killed off
    Crixus
    surely? He was one of my favourite along with Lucy Lawless.

Did the actress who plays Navia change? It doesn't look like her...