Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soundbars - Yamaha YAS-101 and YHT-S401 owners opinions (and possibly others)

Discussion in 'Soundbars' started by lovelldr, Nov 2, 2011.

1. DG25

DG25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Anyone tried the headphone output? It's the only soundbar with headphone output, afaik, and also comes with virtual surround. How good is the headphone surround sound in games?
  2. Mr Fujisawa

Mr Fujisawa Member

Ratings:
    +22
    FYI I have bought 2 speakers to connect to the rear ouputs as I find the 'movie' surround mode creates a sort of echo/flange effect. I got 2 old creative gigaworks s700 speakers for £8 each off ebay, theyare rated at 70w rms so will be pretty decent and are relatively small
  3. hyper2002

hyper2002 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, please tell me whether YHT-S401 starts together with your TV remote when you turn tv on ??

I am goin to order Yamaha soundbar , which will be working in pair with PS3 & Sony Bravia KDL-HX800 . As I know my tv have control over HDMI .. f.e when I start PS3 my TV turns on automatically . Will be the same with Yamaha soundbar ? How does it look like with yours receivers ?

Thanx for help.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  4. wastedyuthe

wastedyuthe Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Looking to buy either a YAS-101 or YHT-S401 myself.

I own a Samsung sound bar at the moment, which typically sounds great- but it doesn't throw sound to the left or right very well, and the only mode that uses pseudo surround sound is Cinema, which unfortunately loses dialog with loud scenes- sometimes u can't hear what's being said at all in an action or music scene.

The 101 has two Optical inputs which would suit me fine, as that is what I use now. But I am concerned with it only being 2.1 audio, as that is the same as my Samsung bar which has the dialog issue.

Then there's the 401, which is more expensive, but has the extra centre speaker in the bar for dialog, but also a separate sub-woofer which isn't really needed for me (I have a separate sub woofer with my Samsung bar, and it is on it's lowest setting as it is too powerful for my small lounge). The 401 also only has one Optical, so that would mean connecting via HDMI, then one HDMI to the tv- which means one set of picture settings for all devices.

So I'm wondering if I should go for the cheaper 101 as I'm sure the built-in SW would be powerful enough, but I'm concerned with how clear the dialog would be.

Also, regarding both models, I'm wondering how good the pseudo surround effect is, and how well it throws out the left and right channels. Can u hear when something is on the left or right, or does it all sound like it's coming from the front?

Any advice or answers regarding the above?
    Cheers.
  5. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Had a mad moment last night and ordered the 401 from Bennetts Online for £399. A bargain compared to everywhere else. Spoke to them on the phone this morning too and they seem very friendly and helpful. Delivery tomorrow :)
  6. jhiker

jhiker Member

Ratings:
    +3
  7. HenrikL

HenrikL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wastedyuthe!
    I have been thinking of ordering an YHT-S401 for some time.
    You (and someone else recently) mentioned that Bennetts sells it for £399 - at that price I decided to go for it, but a quick check on Bennetts website shows that their price is £499????

Do you know whether they had a special offer on this that ended yesterday?
  8. DG25

DG25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have any headphone to test the headphone surround, please?
  9. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Wow! Looks like they increased the price this morning! I contacted them first thing to confirm delivery tomorrow etc. Perhaps someone checked the price then and though "ey up! This is too cheap!" Sorry, looks like they've caught on to what others are selling at.
  10. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    I only have some Apple in-ear headphones (not the cheap ones) which are superb for music. Will test them out with it tomorrow.
  11. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Bloody Yodel courier service! Bennetts have chosen them to deliver my sound bar, and according to the Yodel website it left their Hatfield depot just before midnight. Waited all morning and this afternoon, and made a call to them. Now I've been told it won't come straight to me, but instead to another depo, before coming to me tomorrow! I contacted Bennetts to let them know, but I'm very disappointed its not arriving today. Imagine if I'd booked a day off work and had it sent home! :mad:
  12. Mr Fujisawa

Mr Fujisawa Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Let me know how you get on with it wasted.

You will probably want to use 'MOVIE' surround mode. If you have an issue with dialogue you can enable 'clear voice' which I think just boosts the centre chanel to make dialogue more audable, or may be certain frequencies for vocals.

My issue was that, with some content, it seemed to introduce an echo like effect which I didn't like, which is why I bought 2 rear speakers which enables the 'STANDARD' surround mode, which is dolby pro logic (or can be changed to dts neo)

As for the surround, you definitely need to find a sweet spot, but when in it there is a decent amount of positioning.

Theres plenty of setup options as well, each speaker can have the volume altered individually, univolume is a decent dynamic range equivelent and as mentioned, clearvoice has been useful for movies/night time etc.
  13. Mr Fujisawa

Mr Fujisawa Member

Ratings:
    +22
    You can enable hdmi control. I don't know if it turns ON the TV, but the TV remote will then control the volume of the amp and also turn it OFF in unison.
  14. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Thanks, I will let u know. But I am absolutely fuming with the courier company Bennetts used. I contacted "Yodel" again this morning after they told me yesterday it needs to go to another depo before coming to me today. Now they tell me it won't be with me till tomorrow! :mad: They said it was because of a backlog at the Lichfield depo where it is now. Heck it's only half an hour away! I'd go and collect but 1) I'm at work 2) Why should I be the one doing the work? I told Bennetts and they are seeing what they can do for me, but I wouldn't know what. Not happy, considering I should've had this yesterday!
  15. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Ok, update.

I managed to drive to the depo and collect the sound bar myself instead of waiting for them to pull their finger out. Set it up with all my devices connecting via HDMI and then one HDMI to the tv. My Logitech remote needs a major re-program now as it only needs to stay on HDMI Input 1 instead of swapping inputs per device.
    Having previously used a Samsung C-450 sound bar, the difference so far is immense! I will be testing more on blu-rays later this evening, and trying out the various settings, but even just watching adverts I noticed plenty more punch in the mid-range and therefore the sound overall is a lot more "full". The Samsung had great bass thanks to it's sub woofer and great treble detail, but the mid-range is clearly lacking- I didn't realise how much more "complete" the Yamaha makes things sound. All this, and the Samsung bar is actually wider than the Yamaha.

So far so good. More reporting later :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

16. golly99

golly99 Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Sounds great Barry! Trying to convince myself im happy with the d6900's built in sound as I've had an expensive month!
  17. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    There's no doubt the D6900 has good enough speakers for normal tv show viewing mate. But it must be lacking with movies compared to a good sound bar or surround set-up. I wouldn't say they're "essential" but if u like your movies u really ought to consider at least a cheap sound bar. Even the Yamaha YAS-101 would be far better than the tv speakers, and is a good price. I would love to test that bar compared to my S401 though. Loving the full range this bar easily throws out- dialog has been perfectly clean and fully of body, music during tv shows and adverts is suitably loud and full without drowning out dialog at all, and surround effects have been very decent so far especially after upping volume of virtual surround speakers in the settings (something I was unable to do with the Samsung). Literally can't fault the Yamaha bar so far with tv show viewing. Will put in a couple of blu's for testing before going to bed after a very long day :)

I'll add that one thing I like about the Yamaha is it being hard to tell what the bar is throwing out and what the subwoofer is throwing out. On the Samsung, because of the poor mid-range performance, it was clearer what the bar and subwoofer were throwing out, so the Yamaha definitely has a more natural body to the audio overall.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  18. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Just watched some of A-Team and Superman Returns on blu, and have been extremely impressed with the separation and virtual surround. Left and right channels can actually be distinguishable from each other unlike the Samsung bar. The implosion of the Krypton star and explosion of the planet were great tests for the bass and surround effects, to which the Yamaha passed with flying colours. When the wave from the star and parts of Krypton flew past the camera the "whoosh" sound actually flew past behind me! I swear this is the closest I'm ever going to get to surround sound without having rear speakers. Superb.

From my tests so far, it was well worth the money and I'm glad I went for the more expensive model. I'm sure the separate subwoofer and extra centre speaker are helping with bass and clear dialog respectively as well as helping separate the left and right channels. I love it almost as much as my D6900 tv :thumbsup:
  19. DG25

DG25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have some games to test it? And...headphones? :D

In my case, headphones will be used 70-80% of the time, because at night i can't use speakers...
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  20. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    I only have games on my iPad that I can AirPlay to my AppleTV, so not sure what the audio quality will be like but I'll try them later after work. I have a couple of good FPS and racers to try. Also only have in-ear headphones but will try them later too :)
  21. DG25

DG25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No point in using ipad games, as they don't have any surround sound. :) I thought you maybe had a console...But blu-ray movies should work fine, as they have Dolby surround sound, though i don't know how suitable in ear headphones are for that. Maybe just see what difference is between the TV headphone out and the soundbar headphone out (in surround headphone mode).
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  22. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Ok mate, I'll check that for u later :)
  23. Mr Fujisawa

Mr Fujisawa Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Glad to 'hear' it's doing well for you ;)

Re headphones, I believe it actually does virtualisation over the headphones as well, but I've not tested it.
  24. DG25

DG25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the quality of headphone sound virtualization is what i'm interested in. I wonder if it's the same used in yamaha's receivers, which is quite good.
  25. mag01

mag01 Member

Ratings:
    +81
    It's now £399.99 at Bennetts - Tempted myself. I have a YSP1000, but it is really bulky compared to these new ones and has no HDMI.
  26. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Cheers :)

If it does this then I'd be very interested in hearing this for myself later too. I will be investing in a decent set of headphones next year so I hope it'll be good.

The only thing you'll find bulky is the receiver/subwoofer- just about managed to fit on my shelf as u can see on my photo in an earlier post. The bar itself is surprisingly small- they always look like they're going to be massive looking at online pics :D

Going to try "2012" on blu with it when I get home, with and without headphones ;)
  27. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Tested headphones with various modes including Movie. Quality is superb as expected- all the bass and detail u could ask for. There isn't much else to it other than that though- I wasn't sure how a virtual surround effect could be created with a speaker directly in each ear, and I was right. Sounds either come from the left, right, or both. There is no clever trickery to make sounds appear to come from your front or rear. Aside from that, there is certainly no complaints regarding actual quality of headphones audio.
  28. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Just posted on the D6900 thread regarding watching "2012" on blu last night. Here is what I said regarding the Yamaha sound bar:

"The new Yamaha sound bar was equally impressive- the sound stage is much more dynamic compared to my old Sammy one- various effects such as creaking, vehicles, explosions etc moving or coming from the left or right sides of the tv, and some noises sounding like they're coming from the sides of the room. Various other effects seemed to fill the room entirely such as crowds and helicopters. Occasionally I'd also get sounds coming from behind me such as wind (just realised how funny that sounds).

Overall, a superb experience
    "

The only thing I did last night halfway through the movie was enable Clear Voice as the dialog seemed just seemed a little drowned out by all the other effects. Once I'd done that, it was much better- the sound was just as dynamic but the vocals were definitely easier to hear at the same time :)

Loving this sound bar, and it has easily met my expectations regarding quality and even surpassed them regarding it's virtual surround ability.
  29. Mr Fujisawa

Mr Fujisawa Member

Ratings:
    +22
    speaking of dynamic remember you can change the dynamic range in the setup. I think it defaults to auto.
  30. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Mate I haven't even read the manual yet :laugh: I've brought it to work to read :D