1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound level issues with movies (Yamaha RX-V1700)

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by forza, Jul 21, 2008.

1. forza

forza Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have issues with the sound level when watching a movie. When people are just talking in the movie it all sounds very quiet but once the action kicks in I have to turn down the volume. I already increased the center speaker level but it doesnt help much. This occurs more often with DTS movies then with DD5.1 movies.

I currently own a Yamaha RX-v1700 receiver with a KEF speakerset, but i had the same issue with a pioneer set.

Any tips on how to solve this?

rgds, Steve
  2. DannyBoy1

DannyBoy1 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    have you tried night mode-it's for playing at night and is meant to make the booms quieter so as not to annoy the neighbors don't use it myself though:D
    i've yammy 1700 with aelites but don't really have the problem much
  3. DECKIE

DECKIE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi forza

ive just watched a film and had the same problem, im new to all this so dont know if theres any settings we can change or is it the way the films made.
    be grateful if anyone can help
  4. Cynar

Cynar Member

Ratings:
    +151
    I'm afraid this is the way the soundtrack is meant to be.
    It's to recreate the cinema experience with the wide dynamic range that involves.

As DannyBoy1 suggests, you should use the Night mode on the RX-V1700 which is designed to to solve the problem you describe by reducing the dynamic range.
  5. connon

connon Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hello,

I also have a RX-V1700

In the Manual page 53 explains the use of night mode.
    However i found that the night mode also seems to reduce the voice clarity from the center channel in some cases on most settings.

I found that the best compromise was to set the Dynamic range to standard on the amp. See Page 85 - Dynamic Range and set to STD

Another option is to check your dvd player settings for dynamic range settings and for voice enhancement options.

Try playing with the settings on both amp and source and repeat the same segment on a DVD which has a mix of load action and voices.

Good luck
  6. DECKIE

DECKIE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks sjc ,connon for your comments.
    i found the night mode/equivalent today and will put into practice.
    dont get me wrong i love it loud but you do get them moments when you just turn it down( bloody kids )
  7. HarryK

HarryK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    is this a problem with all speaker/amp combinations? or do you guys just keep the volume higher most times?