Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony's Flagship, Bravia HX923, 3D Local Dimming LED TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by snaithg, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
  2. Munkhee

Munkhee Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all, been following this forum with interest since I ordered my 55 inch back in early April from the local Sony Centre in Brighton. Finally took delivery last week (and for reference, also received the monolith stand).

So, for a bit of background, I have literally zero experience with the ins and outs of TV settings etc. In the past I've always bought reasonably top end TVs, but have always left at the factory default settings and never noticed any issues (just don't know what to look for I guess).

Anyway, just thought I'd weigh on this crease problem. I can confirm that my set also has these, about 1cm in, more noticeabe on the right hand side than the left hand. It's pretty faint to be honest and not really visible when watching movies or playing games, but is clearly there when ciewing a single colour background. BUT, I did notice something interesing last night...

I had some old B&W film on in the background, and the whites/greys really made the crease stand out. But then I noticed that the film wasn't playing in full screen - it was cropped by about a half inch on either side. Upon closer inspection (and from switching between TV and PS3 inputs) I could see that this crop was beyond where I usually see the crease i.e. the area that usually shows the crease was totally black (no picture), but the crease was now visible about 1cm in from where the picture actually started.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to indicate to me that the crease isn't due to a fault with the screen itself, but a 'feature' (I use that term loosely!) of this set? Of course, I may be barking up completely the wrong tree here given my noob status, but thought it was at least worth passing on, to see if any of you guys can replicate this behaviour (and double-check my sanity!).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. southernsmoggy

southernsmoggy Member

Ratings:
    +6
    interesting theory.....not sure if its accurate or not but either way its the kind of thing that sony could and should just clear up with a statement either on their own website or on here....if the crease is indeed related to something that is relevant to the format of picture on the display etc then come out and explain it. or admit its a defect...cmon Sony!!!

love them or hate them...this kind of things is something companies like Apple are very good at...mainly because if you point a finger at their products they come all out to explain why something is the way it is.
  4. clydebest

clydebest Active Member

Ratings:
    +856
    The usa hx 923 version is the hx929 which comes with full led backlighting as does hx925 sold in asia and australia.This maybe why no crease issue in usa seems once again we pay the highest prices when in return we get the lowest spec tvs its just a thought.
  5. DeanA

DeanA Member

Ratings:
    +11
    The HX923 over here is the equivalent of the HX920 in Europe, which is the equivalent of the HX929 in the US, and which is the equivalent of the HX925 in Australasia.

They're all fundamentally the same led backlit screens, and as such we're not getting stuffed when it comes to the specification. In addition the crease is reported as being present on HX929's, as can be seen from the AVS thread.

I don't know why you would think otherwise, given the posts here and on AVS.

Dean
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    I would like to see if those with the crease issue could put the display on 'full pixel' and show us all a pic. of the BBC HD test card from Freesat. I would like to see how the edge 'triangles' display on the screen, please.
    ie whether they go right to the edge or not, or stop at the crease, maybe ?
    ( Still waiting for someone to tell me the distance from the base of the monolith stand to the bottom of the visible screen - anyone, please, please ? )
    Ta
  7. garethmorgan

garethmorgan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I also have been following this thread like a hawk. I recieved my 55" today from my Sony centre, my serial ends 670 and has slight creases either side, (edit it was mnfctd june). I think the serial no. proves no link imo. It's not super dark yet, so I've only checked for light leaks with the curtains shut and the blacks look good. Side blooming is visable from about 70-80 degrees. Front on looks fab. I'll try that test after....
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  8. Palhil

Palhil Member

Ratings:
    +9
    70 to 80 degrees! That's way better than mine. Mine starts to become visible as soon as I'm off axis and is at it's worse by 45 degrees.
  9. norks27

norks27 Member

Ratings:
    +40
    The local Sony Centre contacted me regarding my order.

I'd already been in touch with the Sony Centre regarding quality issues of the set, so they where aware of my concerns.

The chap who I placed the order with said he'd been over to another store where they have just received one and arranged a demo for himself. He did mention the creases, but in his opinion the screen had to be viewed off angle, say around 45 to 50 degrees in order for the creases to become visible. He talked a little of blooming but felt it was more down to finding the optimal settings for your particular room.

However, and here is the nice bit, he is arranging for me to demo the TV at the Sony Centre, (not in the store itself but a seperate room), so that I can see the screen in action and decide whether or not it's acceptable, if it is they'll repackage the TV and get that one delivered to me.

Reading this thread it is beginning to feel like the creases are a kind of a characteristic of this model, (granted not a desirable one), but most seem to report having to view off angle to see the crease, so in the real world with a blu-ray and the surround system kicked in does it spoil the movie. The flashlighting in the corner, now that would bug me for sure.

If, like me, you're concerned that your TV could be dodgy, see if they will do a pre view at the shop to make sure your getting a good TV.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  10. marmion

marmion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's up to you but I changed mine into Custom and ensured local dimming was enabled (its off by default) and just had a little play around with the settings.

Vivid doesn't look good in my room environment (dark) but if you've got a bright room and it looks good to your eyes then go with it (but have a play around with other modes and settings before you decide :))
  11. clydebest

clydebest Active Member

Ratings:
    +856
    So your saying that the hx929 and hx 925 are not full led backlit i think your the one thats wrong as for what they say on avs forum i would not know i do not read it i was only putting forwoard it as a possible reason for less creasing in usa but as you say i must be wrong.
  12. Jasonjo

Jasonjo Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    They sound really helpful, let us know how you get on!
  13. Julie

Julie Active Member

Ratings:
    +709
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.