Sony's Flagship, Bravia HX923, 3D Local Dimming LED TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Palhil - also, have you tried the Skype camera, I assume that is in the Skype box you showed?

Well I honestly do hope you all enjoy this TV, see some of you next year when sony release their next flagship, hopefully with these issues resolved, either that or the new nano tech LG..

The 923 is however the sexiest looking TV I have seen

Last edited:
Hmm just read the German report about these TVs being incorrectly put together and that sony know about it, will be interesting if its true, as I suspect the Tv could be great and very odd of digital versus to get it so wrong unless their TV was a good one. might be tempted in six months if this turns out to be true.

Well guys this is the reply i have received from Sony UK

Thank you for your recent e-mail received on 17/06/2011 09.46 AM.

I have viewed the sites you sent me and this is not a common problem, LCD panel failures exhibit similar symptoms and so it is not limited to just the HX9xx range or Sony products.

If a fault were to occur with your television whilst you were under guarantee Sony would happily book you in to an Authorised Sony Centre to have the television repaired free of charge.

I hope this information is of some assistance. Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Helen Regan
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM

Mhhh So Helen Regan would you happily pay out £3000 on a tv to then send it away a week later to be repaired???
Oh well if we are all not happy lets bombard Ann Robinson on watchdog and get her to get a Sony rep on the show.

@Palhil - also, have you tried the Skype camera, I assume that is in the Skype box you showed?
I've not tried the Skype camera. I don't use Skype that often anyway. Maybe that will change with this set.

I just tried iPlayer which seemed very good quality. I also popped out and bought a cheapish HDMI cable and tried a little bit of Super Stardust on the PS3 in 3D. It seemed very good. I saw a little bit of cross talk when I paused it but strangely this was just on a couple of the sprites. It may have been that the game software wasn't quite generating the two images correctly. I'm going to watch Disney's Tangled in 3D tomorrow. One thing I was pleased with was that I couldn't see the glasses flickering at all. Whenever I've looked at glasses in the shop I could always detect the flicker out of the corner of my eye. Perhaps that was caused by the lighting in the shop. I don't know. I can confirm there is a bit of discolouration if you tilt your head. But you shouldn't be tilting your head while watching 3D anyway. I never understand people who complain that they can't lie down to watch it. 3D technology simply can't work like that.

SAMBA VAN MAN said:
Well guys this is the reply i have received from Sony UK

Thank you for your recent e-mail received on 17/06/2011 09.46 AM.

I have viewed the sites you sent me and this is not a common problem, LCD panel failures exhibit similar symptoms and so it is not limited to just the HX9xx range or Sony products.

If a fault were to occur with your television whilst you were under guarantee Sony would happily book you in to an Authorised Sony Centre to have the television repaired free of charge.

I hope this information is of some assistance. Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Helen Regan
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM

Mhhh So Helen Regan would you happily pay out £3000 on a tv to then send it away a week later to be repaired???
Oh well if we are all not happy lets bombard Ann Robinson on watchdog and get her to get a Sony rep on the show.

Would be interested in her email address if you have the time to pm me samba; as contrary to her mail I've got a repair case open with a Sony Authorised Repair Centre who confirmed I had a problem, but still after 3 weeks they haven't had a response from Sony!

The replacement panel is showing as a 'No ETA' and they haven't had any joy in getting a date for it, they have also asked for a new set to be sent out but haven't had a response to that either!!

Last edited:
Right, after spending all day just pressing different buttons on the remote and then staring obsessively at the screen I've finally decided to have a go at calibrating the TV. I was going to use settings found on the US forum. But for the life of me I can't find the correct picture mode. They mention putting it into Cinema 1. However, all I have listed under picture mode is Standard, Vivid and Custom.

Am I being really stupid here?

Help.

Palhil said:
Right, after spending all day just pressing different buttons on the remote and then staring obsessively at the screen I've finally decided to have a go at calibrating the TV. I was going to use settings found on the US forum. But for the life of me I can't find the correct picture mode. They mention putting it into Cinema 1. However, all I have listed under picture mode is Standard, Vivid and Custom.

Am I being really stupid here?

Help.

Change 'Scene' to 'Cinema' by pressing the scene button on the remote ;)

Change 'Scene' to 'Cinema' by pressing the scene button on the remote ;)

Thanks Dids. I am an idiot. I'm not used to modern televisions and their ways. I'm still not sure why they don't just put everything under picture mode. I suppose they have their reasons.

Just played Killzone 3 in 3D. Lots of crosstalk on it. Mainly when there is something light next to dark areas. This may also account for the crosstalk I saw on Super Stardust as the two sprites were bright.

Palhil said:
Just played Killzone 3 in 3D. Lots of crosstalk on it. Mainly when there is something light next to dark areas. This may also account for the crosstalk I saw on Super Stardust as the two sprites were bright.

So how do you feel about the TV in general now?

Very concerned and disappointed by the early user reports of this TV. I guess that's the risk you guys who pre-order it take, but there certainly should not be visible creasing and unacceptable blooming on a flag-ship set like this. Recently saw a 46" X4500 full array RGB back lit for £900 and that doesn't sound too bad now seeing the problems with this year's model. Also considering Panasonic's VT30 now this doesn't seem to be the set I had hoped.

Last edited:
I'm happy with it in general at the moment. The creases really aren't a big issue. There is blooming when you view from an angle but I will mostly be viewing it from head on. As I said there is a bit of cross talk on 3D games. I haven't watched a 3D movie yet so I'll have to see how that goes. I also have a slight issue with flashlighting in the bottom two corners. This is probably the most noticeable issue but only really shows up with dark menu screens.

The problem I have is that I'm coming from a standard definition CRT so I'm not entirely sure what a really good LCD HD screen should look like.

I think I have to just live with it for a bit and use it normally without trying to pick it apart.

Hey all - long time lurker, following both avf and avs threads for the HX923/5/9 for some time now.

My set finally arrived - all 55" of monolithic beauty. So far impressed with the PQ out of the box, no creases but will need to sort out some settings tomorrow.

Anyway - pics :)

DSC00630.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

And if the last pic doesn't give it away - I'm in Auckland, New Zealand :)

@marmion Looking good, can't wait to get my 55HX923

Watched My first BD last night used setting from AVS fourms and I'm delighted with my 923. Yes I have the crease but it's so close to the edge it's NOT an issue for me or the wife. I have no blooming a good test is the disclaimer at the start of a disc you know the one " any views expressed" was pin sharp on a black background I watch straight on and the wife at a bit of an angle. So much better than my Sony KDL40W4500 which I'll be placing in the classifies today.

So far impressed with the PQ out of the box, no creases but will need to sort out some settings tomorrow.
It will be interesting if there really is no crease as it will show that there is definitely a difference between sets. As I said before the crease is most obvious on a dark scene from an extreme angle around the corners.

@Jasonjo, Tried sending you a message but your mail box is full.

Watched My first BD last night used setting from AVS fourms and I'm delighted with my 923. Yes I have the crease but it's so close to the edge it's NOT an issue for me or the wife. I have no blooming a good test is the disclaimer at the start of a disc you know the one " any views expressed" was pin sharp on a black background I watch straight on and the wife at a bit of an angle. So much better than my Sony KDL40W4500 which I'll be placing in the classifies today.

amazing you have no blooming there really must be a difference between sets, returning mine but am quite gutted as the picture on this set is pin sharp and the motionflow amazing, but at £2500 I cant justify two issues which will bug me.

Do you have the link to the setting page on AVforums?

Hey all - long time lurker, following both avf and avs threads for the HX923/5/9 for some time now.

My set finally arrived - all 55" of monolithic beauty. So far impressed with the PQ out of the box, no creases but will need to sort out some settings tomorrow.

Anyway - pics :)

And if the last pic doesn't give it away - I'm in Auckland, New Zealand :)

Since this is the Asia-Pacific version of the tv, maybe the reason there is no crease is that the tv is manufactured somewhere else than the EU-model. If so, that might support the German theory of an initial, faulty batch over here in Europe.

Hi everyone,

I own the Nordic version of HX923 (HX920 in Sweden) and unfortunately I can report the very same issue. The TV has a faint vertical line near the right side of the bezel!

This crease is not really that visible during daytime viewings but for people planning to watch in dim or pitch black environments, it is totally unacceptable and very distracting as your eyes will subconsciously wander over to the crease. However, unlike dids, there is no line on the left side, with the exception of minor flashlightning at the upper left corners which is more than acceptable in comparison. It is definitely a defect as it is present on all sources and even full color jpgs like dids tested.

I contacted Sony and they referred to their authorized service repair centres which came and took (!!) the TV away for repair, which is absolutely absurd as this TV has been in use for less than a week and god knows what they might mess up when they poke around in there.

The customer support representative had no idea this TV was already out and actually thought it was slated for mid-October. The two people I spoke to over the phone had no previous complains on this TV due to it being recently released.

I'm going to opt for a replacement regardless of whether repair shop fixes it or not, there's no telling what they might have messed up while probing inside a -less than a week old- TV with no prior experience of this model.

A few notes on blooming, I have not tested it with proper Blu-ray material yet due to this annoying crease issue, but when switching on a no-source blank HDMI 1 screen with only white text and lines, there is quite a lot of blooming to be seen, especially off-axis. In fact, I can still see minor blooming while viewing the white text while on-axis. This is probably an extreme case and how much it translates into real world viewing is uncertain but hopefully more experienced owners here can chime in.

Note that all of the above was tested with Dynamic LED Control set to STANDARD.

I did not test this TV for horizontal or vertical panning yet but will do so when I receive a crease-free replacement.

Also, for all you current owners out there, when the energy switch on the back of the TV is switched on, and you put the TV in standby mode via the remote, do you hear faint clicking sounds coming from the back top-right side of the panel? It goes away after ~5 mins in standby mode and completely if you turn off the energy switch. Just wondering if its normal electronic relay clicking or another one of those things that slipped past QA.

Frankly, after coming from a Hitachi CRT from around the 1990s, my first impressions are not very positive.

Here's to hoping that you people get a crease free, proper functioning set to enjoy your summer with!

Which Sony Repair Service collected the tv? Inside Service in Stockholm?

Considering how common the crease problem seems to be, I'd opt for a serviced tv so I'd know for sure the problem had been taken care of. With a replacement you obviously risk having to do the procedure all over again...

I currently have a 52HX903 and a 46X4500 which are both great TV's with their own pro's and con's. I have been following the HX923 for a while as I had been considering replacing the X4500. I certainly would not purchase any TV that had any type of crease in the picture. I would not expect this on a budget model never mind a premium brand.

There seems be be very little talk of the crease problem outside europe which would tend to indicate a manufacturing problem at the european facility. The question is do Sony care enough to fix the problem or will they just keep churning them out. large corporates like Sony tend to be incredibly arrogant unless you can get the press involved to damage their reputation.

As far as blooming goes I would ask everyone to remember that lighting and angle can both play a huge part in mitigating blooming problems. My HX903 has more noticeable blooming than my X4500 but the 903 has much better blacks which make it more noticeable. But this problem only rears its head in the dark or off angle. I am lucky that my viewing is head on and I have a small light source behind the TV which makes blooming much less of a problem.

I personally will continue to follow the thread to see if Sony can sort out these initial problems with the european model. If they can sort out the crease problem I will likely pick up the 46" for the bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom