Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony W6 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Naaktgeboren, May 17, 2013.

1. Vaolis

Vaolis Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I just got my 4th (Dear [insert preferred deity], why is this necessary?) set delivered yesterday. It's another 9/2013 from Amazon.de. Gladly it has no black spots anywhere at the edges and no dead pixels either but the usual banding/dse, who would've thought :( Haven't checked clouding yet.

Yesterday, it was very bright and sunny outside and even at the max backlight setting the TV was looking pale. Noticed that while in the stores as well. Compared to other models from other manufacturers the W6 is rather dim, even at max backlight.

I'm curious about the new firmware people are talking about. What's the general consent here? Install it or not? Brighter screen sounds good at first, but especially the edges are brighter puts me off.

I'm really interested in the Panasonic E6. Has anyone used a PS3/X360 with the 42 inch model? hdtvtest says the input lag is 33 ms, which isn't too bad, but they have no seperate paragraph about gaming so I don't even know in what picture mode/with what settings this was achieved. If that's with full 10p white balance calibration in place, 33 ms would be amazing. I don't know any other TV with 10p WB available in game/pc mode.
  2. Cristian Radu

Cristian Radu Member

Ratings:
    +6
    So here's the 1st report on my 50W685, viewing angles.
    I've took a series of photos, perpendicular on the TV's surface and 30, 45, 80 degrees off the perpendicular axis. You can check the colour loss in the reds I think. The results are typical for a VA panel in my opinion.
    For comparison, we have this recent review of the Sony 4K set here.

Attached Files:

3. OliOConnor

OliOConnor Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thought I'd give a little feedback on a few features of the KDL-50W685 - in particular the satellite tuner and the PVR recording functionality to external HD. The same will apply to the 50W653 model, which I believe also contains a freesat tuner.

Firstly the satellite tuner setup was very similar to freeview - although it tuned in way too many channels. All regional variants were tuned, resulting in about 800 channels or so. The EPG is very similar to freeview.

The downside is you loose your freeview channels - I had hoped (perhaps naively!) that would somehow be able to have both satellite and freeview channels tuned in and switch between the EPGs. But no, you need to re-tune each time you want to switch between the two.

I didn't feel the channel navigation was particularly slow or unresponsive - certainly not noticeably so.

Now onto recording. This quite frankly, is poop.

Setup is a breeze. Plug in a USB HD, go into setup and that's it - within 30 seconds you're able to record.

Recording a program is easy - hit record, select whether you want to record a single program or record a series (yes, you can series link) and that's it. Watching a program back is also easy - navigate to your recordings and hit play. That's about where things finish.

Playback is okay. However, through a 30 minute recording a message stating Subtitles:On flashed up about 15 times. Annoying. Not sure if this was due to poor signal, but I didn't notice any other issues with picture quality. Couldn't work out how to prevent it.

I had hoped I might be able to do a bit more with the tv whilst recording a freeview channel - Sony support confirmed to me you would be able to 'tune' into another channel using a separate tuner - ie the freesat tuner whilst recording on the freeview tuner, but this is not the case. If you are recording a channel, it essentially bricks the tv, only allowing you to watch what you are recording - although this is a little sketchy.

You also can't watch something else you have recorded previously to your plugged in HD. What shocked me most was you can't watch any Sony Entertainment Network channels - Netflix for example. You simply get a message stating it can't be watched whilst recording.

So in a nutshell the recording facilities are equivalent to a video setup of the 80's...
  4. kriskroz

kriskroz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys ,anyone have an idea whats going on with the SEN apps ,loading is extremely slow last few days.Youtube,Facebook,etc...Can I blame SONY servers?Could it be the root cause .After hitting the youtube icon,I get the loading bar for 5-6 seconds then black screen for another 20secs,so after almost 30secs youtube screen appears ,it really gets me frustrated.On another forum few more people were complaining that SEN apps were disappearing from the SEN folder ,slow loading as well,this is the last week.. Really noone else noticed it here ? I am with 42w6 .
  5. Cristian Radu

Cristian Radu Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Youtube loads pretty fast for me, 7-8sec total..
    I have the latest firmware.
  6. rchads89

rchads89 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +269
    Banding has got worse on my set and one of those pixels I can see from my seating position. I will ring john lewis I think to get like the 5th one sent to me. Seems a joke to be honest. Each one has a dead pixel without fail can't work it out...........
  7. SwiftRyu

SwiftRyu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference between the 50" W655 model and W656 model? I've seen the former available at Argos and the latter at most other retail outlets.
  8. Ryko1000

Ryko1000 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Quick question, W6 is 50/60 hz native, right?

What is native refresh rate of Samsung f6400? (I'm torn between those two)

Stories about lack of motion flow on Sony scare me a bit...I really wanted it for watching football :(
  9. Mark91

Mark91 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    dead pixels, banding, motion blur when gaming...........is this tv really the best low input lag tv around? sounds far from it by the looks of this thread :\
  10. Yappa

Yappa Member

Ratings:
    +47
    It sure is, considering that Sony itself uses it to run its demo stations.
    And how many times do we have to repeat that the motion blur isn't better or worse than any other LED TV without motion compensation? I don't know who came up with that rumour.
  11. Vaolis

Vaolis Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I feel your pain. I'm on my 4th set right now and only the 3rd one had dead pixels but the 1st one had a piece of dust in the panel coating which looked exactly the same. All of them had banding/dse. Haven't checked for clouding/backlight bleed on the 4th yet, but the other 3 had at least a bit, mostly in the bottom left corner.

I'm surprised that a 50W655 exist, but the difference is the color of the bezel. W655 has a black bezel and W656 has a silver bezel. There shouldn't be any other differences.

Yes, the W6 is 50/60 Hz native. According to Sony Motion Flow is tied to the LED Motion Plus mode, which also activates backlight scanning to boost it to 200 Hz. This reduces light output drastically and introduces flickering (at least for me), though.

As for the F6400, I read in the "LCD matrices" thread on here, that it's supposed to be a native 100 Hz panel.

Look here: LCD -matrices,differences and what models are placed *Part 2* | Page 10 | AVForums Specifically post #271 - #274

The F6400 does have MCFI though, so you can use Samsung's Motion Plus for watching sports, you can configure the blur and judder reduction individually or use presets like clear, soft etc. Should work very well with sports.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  12. rchads89

rchads89 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +269
    The tv is awesome for gaming infact I would go as far to say one of the best.... motion blur? They really is not much motion blur what so ever.... only problem I have is dead pixels really..... I've had a few on this model with next to no banding just all been pixel problems for some reason
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Vaolis

Vaolis Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Please drop the motion blur madness. Like Yappa and rachads89 say, it has the same amount of motion blur as any other LCD TV without MCFI. I wrote that a couple of pages ago as well. The 42 inch also doesn't suffer from ghosting (smearing) in dark areas like many VA type panels do. Can't comment on the 50 inch, but I would take Yappa's word for it.
  14. Ryko1000

Ryko1000 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I get it, but is it good enough without it?
  15. Mark91

Mark91 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im no expert but 60hz will cause more motion blur than 120hz, right?

i guess i need to go to a tv store and check it out myself
  16. Ryko1000

Ryko1000 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanx a lot...my heart is closer to Sony, but if samsug has interpolation mode that WORKS, it could really be better for sports...

Does panel being 100hz native help even without interpolation?
  17. Vaolis

Vaolis Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I don't think so. This shouldn't affect a normal broadcasting signal. Without the frame interpolation the TV should return to its basic 300 lines of motion resolution. That's the case with every LCD out there.

The only thing I would like to know is, if you hook up a PC to the TV are you able to set the resolution to 1920x1080 @ 100/120 Hz? Should be possible with a 100 Hz panel, right? Or maybe it doesn't work that way. o_O

Edit: Did some googling and it seems like TVs don't accept anything above 60 Hz. So there goes that plan :facepalm: Will try it though when I get the chance... I wonder what a native 100 Hz panel is good for then. Maybe it has something to do with the 3D.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  18. Cristian Radu

Cristian Radu Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I thought that only Display Port supports 120Hz anyway, or are the newest HDMI available in these sets able to support it?

Calibration for 50W685.

Last night I've worked on calibrating the set and the results are pretty good, I'll stick with them because I like how the picture looks so far. I must warn you that these settings are coming from a old spyder2 device and I cannot say that I'm an expert in the field.
    The only thing I don't lilke in the results is that at 10IRE (near dark) the device seems to not correctly detect the colors so I have bigger errors that I would have liked; as the panel lights up for the next 9 measurements, I have near perfect grey results.. this is why I'll take these values as valid for the time being.
    I will probably take a 2nd set of readings, increasing the readout time as I also want to check other things. Another thing that seems off with my measurements is the reported contrast ratio; either I'm not interpreting well the result or I'm doing something completely wrong and I must find out what.

When I've started the calibration I've left almost all settings to the factory defaults with the exception of the back-light which I've turned completely off. Almost all processing features of the set were on Off as far as I could tell.

So, first interesting find was that setting color temperature to Warm2 was the closest I could get to a correct picture without going into any further calibration. I've left the setting on Warm 2 for the rest of the process.

With the back-light shut off, the panel had a luminance of 0.05cd/m2 at 0IRE witch is typical for a VA panel, so we have this confirmation again if it was needed anymore. After the calibration I've turned on the back-light towards 3-4 and I've also messed with the gamma value (+2) as the one that resulted from the calibration still was too low for my liking. I'll take another round of readings tonight to see what happened to the contrast ratio.

Values I have right now:
    Contrast: 76
    Brightness 37
    Gamma +2
    Back-light 4
    Color Temp: Warm2

White Balance settings:
    R Gain -9
    G Gain -6
    B Gain 0
    R Bias +4
    G Bias +1
    B Bias - 3

I can confirm that switching tuners will erase memored channels (digital tuners at least). I've learned this the hard way, after 1 hour of sorting my channels I've switched to the satellite tuner and all was lost..

Does anyone know if we can group channels on themes (Sports/Movies/News for example) and assign these to some buttons on the remote (the colored ones for example?). I remember stumbling in the menus on some channel theme setting but I can't find it anymore.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  19. Vaolis

Vaolis Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Well, HDMI should support 1080p@120Hz but apparently TVs don't accept any signal over 60Hz so it's irrelevant. Would have to try that myself though to get confirmation.

Contrast ratios of 611:1 and 455:1 rather look like a IPS panel. What colorimeter are you using? o_O

Is Contrast 76, Brightness 37 and Gamma +2 really necessary? In what picture mode did you take the measurements? At default settings you're getting gamma 2.10, after calibration 2.12. This should at least be at 2.2 or even 2.4. If your gamma is very low, e.g. below 2.2, the picture will look washed out. This does also effect contrast.

I would try movie mode (if you aren't using it already) and set Contrast to 90, Gamma to -1 or -2 and set Brightness accordingly so that you don't crush the blacks.

And remember, dialing out Green Gain that much always means you will lose peak brightness and therefore contrast. Green Gain/Offset is the most important when it comes to contrast and should always be left alone if possible.
  20. Cristian Radu

Cristian Radu Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the input, I'll rework the calibration tonight. I'm using a Spyder2 that I had for several years (not great but this is what I have).
    I'll start from the Cinema 2 settings (Movie mode I presume).
  21. Vaolis

Vaolis Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Of course, it's called cinema. My mistake :facepalm:

If it's several years old already, don't expect the readings to be too accurate. I have a i1 Display 2 which is about 2 years old. Apparently the organic light filters (or something like that) in those devices degrade with time. So you either need it to be recalibrated or buy a new one :(

If it looks better to you after calibration, it's fine though, I'd say. :thumbsup:
  22. tnk

tnk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of buying a matching Skype camera, but then realised that if I connect it to the single USB slot, I will lose the pausing etc. features as USB Hub connectivity is not supported and there will be nowhere to put a USB stick/drive, right ?
  23. Yappa

Yappa Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Can't you use an USB hub?
  24. tnk

tnk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently not
    But I hoped it might support Skype camera + USB flash drive somehow.
    Can stream via wifi, but would be good to have the ability to pause as well.
  25. Cristian Radu

Cristian Radu Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I've calibrated the 50W685 the 2nd time but I'm still getting awful contrast readings, I think my probe is broken or something is wrong with the settings I'm using: Backlight 5, Cinema 2, Contrast and Brightness set to not clip white or black, Gamma -2..
    Sensor reports 350:1 contrast (for a 3000:1 native rated panel).

As a side note, when I'm playing the mp4 video files for the calibration, even when I'm displaying 0IRE, there's visible backlight showing; when I'm browsing the menus to get to the White Balance the screen lights-up even further, the bigger the menu is. There seems to be an dynamic lighting option in effect but I don't know which is it.
    When I'm browsing the "Home" TV menus however, the screen is much more dark then displaying the 0IRE mp4..
  26. Vaolis

Vaolis Member

Ratings:
    +28
    It's probably just the old Spyder 2. Even the worst TN panel wouldn't get a contrast as low as 350:1. lol

The TV automatically dims the backlight when there's no content on screen. In cinema mode all the "enhancements" should be turned off by default anyway. Maybe there's something going on with the mp4 playback?

When I finally get a new TV that I'm going to keep I will get the i1 Display Pro
  27. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,228
    How you playing the files?
    I used the avs709 disc for my W9. On that the brightness never went below 50.
  28. MrFamicom

MrFamicom Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm going to buy the sony KDL24W605 for the bedroom, does It support a 1080p signal from a games console or a blu ray player?

29. Vincible

Vincible Member

Ratings:
    +1
  30. richard plumb

richard plumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +884