1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony W5500 (32/37/40/46/52-inch)

Discussion in 'News' started by Tejstar, Feb 16, 2009.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
  2. anpe008

anpe008 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    JOakey, try to set up the laptop resolution to 1920*1080, and use wide.

I am planning to buy a 46 or a 52w5500 Bravia, connecting it to my HP 8510p laptop via HDMI, playing all of my pic/music/HD mkv files, using the XBMC on my XP32. So basically, I will have the same config as yours.

I have some question then:
    1) If you use 1920*1080 resulotion in your laptop and you connect it to the 46w5500 via HDMI, what do you experience in connection with delay/audio and video quality?

2) Do I need to have a "DLNA enabled" software on my laptop to stream media to the TV from my laptop via HDMI? I do not thinks so, but please confirm it.

3) I have a WD my book world NAS (DLNA enabled) connected to a Linksys - wireless-g - WRT54GL v1.1 router (do not know if it is (DLNA enabled), but has UPnP support) on an ethernet port. If I connect the w5500 (DLNA enabled) to the router via ethernet, can I play my shared media from NAS, using the TV interface and remote control? Does the router have to be "DLNA enabled" as well to be able to do it?

Thanks the answers in advance.

anpe008
  3. anpe008

anpe008 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    OK, that is what I have found on the manual...

Attached Files:

4. cablec

cablec Member

Ratings:
    +13

Thanks - look forward to any info you can get.
  5. LaundroMat

LaundroMat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just received my 37W5500 and I'm well pleased :) Great picture quality, even for SD source material.

I seem to have the same audio lag problem too: video from XBMC to TV and optical audio to amp seems to generate about a fraction of a second of lag (esp. speech). I'll try and see whether I can run it through the TV to mend this problem.
  6. GloopyJon

GloopyJon Active Member

Ratings:
    +625
    Sorry for the late response! Did you already get your TV?

I have found that if I just plug the portable in via HDMI and let it do its thing, it detects the TV and outputs in the right resolution. However, I'm going to buy a blu-ray player this weekend, so the problem will be resolved.

In response to your questions:

1) Video quality seems perfectly good; the limitation, of course, is the sound which just goes through the TV. That's one of the main reasons why I am getting a separate blu-ray player, so that I can feed it through an amp (currently have an old 5.1 AV amp but I'm going to buy a decent stereo amp, and will try using that instead - but that's a subject for another forum!). No noticeable issue with audio but I suppose the TV delays the audio to sync with the picture - the problem comes more when you have separate devices handling audio and video.

2) No you don't. You only need DLNA software if you want the TV to connect to a media server via ethernet. I have my TV plugged into my home network and that works perfectly well, but the TV has a very limited number of video codecs, so you're better off using something that streams to the TV. I subsequently bought an Xbox 360, which is brilliant at doing that (I can stream files that are saved on my PC or network storage via the Xbox, and it converts them very well into full-screen streams).

3) No, the router does not need to be DLNA-enabled. It should work pretty much out of the box. If you want to use a PC as a DLNA server, the simplest thing (I found) is to use Windows Media Player as a media server. To do this, select Options from the Tools menu, and click on the Library tab. Then click on the button marked "Configure Sharing..." and fiddle around in there - if your TV is connected to the network, it may already be detected as a potential client, but you need to give it permission to access media files.

I hope this is helpful. I'm very happy with my TV, particularly connected to the Xbox in full HD. Looking forward to having a proper blu-ray player from this weekend - I will probably get a Sony S350 or S550.

Happy to answer any other questions to the best of my ability and knowledge (I'm not a TV expert but I do at least have one of these beasts and am fairly techno-literate!:))
  7. JohnnyPlant

JohnnyPlant Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. I've had the W5500 (40") now since it first came out in March and am having a small problem which seems to be one that others have heard of with other Sony models - anyone had this with the W5500 and has anyone found a solution please?

Basically the screen goes blank for a few seconds, then returns to normal, at regular intervals (in my case about once each hour) when connected through the Sky HD box - it only does this if you've been watching it for an hour without turning channel e.g. when watching a film. I've read various comments about it being to do with the HDMI connection and have tried recabling and other suggestions but no luck yet. Any thoughts would be great.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. abdus

abdus Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Try another HDMI cable. I had that problem some time back, though it was the TV's hdmi port but turned out to be the hdmi cable. Replaced it and working fine since then :thumbsup:
  9. JohnnyPlant

JohnnyPlant Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that. I've got a spare HDMI cable and will put it on today. Will post in a few days to say whether it worked or not - in case anyone else is having the same problem. Thanks again.
  10. JohnnyPlant

JohnnyPlant Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. Still having problems with my KDL5500 blanking out briefly after about an hour of viewing - appears to be a problem with the SKY HD HDMI connection but not sure. Tried a swap with a good quality HDMI cable but its still doing it. Any other suggestions as to what I could try from anyone would be great.
  11. abdus

abdus Member

Ratings:
    +139
    is it on power saving mode or something? since you say it does it after an hour or so
  12. JohnnyPlant

JohnnyPlant Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No - have gone through all the settings to make sure there's nothing in there which might be turning it off momentarily or anything like that. Power saving is off but still does it. Though it is strange that it only does it if the TV has been on for an hour without changing channels etc. If you change channels fairly regularly you can watch it forever without it doing it. Annoying though when it happens in the middle of a film and on a brand new LCD. Have emailed Sony's support line but had no response as yet. Bit of a mystery.
  13. Powerslider

Powerslider Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all!

Yesterday, me and my brother bought our brand new Bravia 40W5500 and we were enthusiastic as hell to set it up. Awesome looking tv! But I have a problem...

We hooked up our PlayStation3 on via HDMI and immediately got it working in full quality (1080p) with fine audio thru the onboard tv speakers. Then we hooked up the digital tv decoder via scart and that worked fine too. Both devices only needed 1 cable to get both audio and video.

But then we ran into a very annoying problem... In order to be able to hook up my brothers Apple MacBook to the tv, we needed a Mini-DVI to HDMI converter and another HDMI Cable to connect it, so we bought those cables and suspected to be ready to go. The picture instantly appeared on HDMI channel 2 (in fine quality) and playing a youtube video in fullscreen was a piece of cake aswell. Getting the audio to work on the other hand... :thumbsdow

Basicly from what I've read so far is that MacBooks doesn't output audio and video on the Mini-DVI port, only video. So I figured to use the headphones output on the MacBook and send that signal into the tv. I plugged a 'mini-jack to 2 tulip' cable into the mac and plugged the 2 'left and right signal' tulip jacks into the Bravia tv in the component channel. (Maybe I'm using the wrong name for this cable, but it looks like this: Mini-jack to 2 x tulip cable picture

Then I checked if both signals were functioning: they were. On HDMI2, I had the MacBook video image and youtube was playing flawlessly. On the component channel, I was hearing the headphones out sound of the MacBook. Both fine. Now I only need to combine them and I'm done.

Here's the bottom line: The TV doesn't allow me to combine the video of 'channel HDMI 2' with the audio of 'channel component'. We've looked thru the manual, the web, every tv menu and pressed every button but nothing makes me combine both channels... :suicide::lease:

Anyone got a clue how this can be done?
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    You shouldn't plug the audio into the component channel. IIRC on most TVs, the HDMI input that supports separate analogue audio input is usually HDMI1. If I had the TV here I could tell you how to do it exactly, but hopefully this'll push you in the right direction.
  15. Phunky

Phunky Member

Ratings:
    +146
    The cheapest and simplest way is to a VGA connection on your TV if they have one as they will allow you to pass in audio. Other wise you need to buy a £100+ converter that allows you to pass audio into the HDMI.

It's really annoying and has put me off buying a iMac 27" for the same reason.