1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony W4500 Series 100Hz,50.000:1 Dynamic contrast,DLNA

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ChrisGgr, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyform

skyform Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Finally someone that agrees with my on the rainbow / backlight strobe. Im so annoyed by it that im going to return the TV tommorow and order Samsung LE-40A756 for 1070€.

The rainbow is not the only thing i dislike on the TV, the other very annoying thing is the forced sharpness, it's really not nice after owning a TV with no forced sharpness, you can clearly see halos around text even when sharpness is down to 0, this is especially noticable on PS3 dasboard, PC desktop or even when playing games. The clouding when watching from angle is horrible aswell actually a disaster, i have never seen something like this on any other TV.

This TV would be stunning whitout this problems but for me they are so annoying that im disliking the picture and not able to enjoy the TV.

I know that many people will be offended by my post but this is my opinion and if Sony is not going to fix this in the future then i will never again buy their TV.

Btw i agree with you on the Kuro and rest of plasma, imo they are unwatchable, rainbows everywhere.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. slamdunk

slamdunk Member

Ratings:
    +1

why do some people say every 4500 has a problem because theirs has ? i can see the rainbow effect on your video but not on my set at home ,so my set has not got this problem.
    i think there are many more satisfied 4500 owners than not
    if you have a problem you go to a forum site to try to solve said problem
    if you are happy with your tv you sit in your living room and enjoy ,which is what i am doing
    got a sony bluray 350 from amazon £160 ,great price ,even better picture
    2 months down the line still no problems ,still very impressed ,freeview sd, sky sd ,dvd ,bluray ,great .9.9 out of 10 to sony ,
    i will admit the picture viewing angle is not great ,but this is not a problem for me ,if i watch any tv i like to sit right infront to get the best view :thumbsup:
  3. skyform

skyform Member

Ratings:
    +112
    It's not my video, its from some other guy and the rainbow is not the only thing that i dislike on this TV.
  4. Aragornuk

Aragornuk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I finally picked up my 40w4500 from Sony today. I bought a sony DG820 amp too and got a bargain (both for £1150.. so the w4500 came down to £900 with five years warranty). I paid for it over the phone and picked it up half an hour later! First results are stunning, its like having a window in your living room! :thumbsup:
  5. Tequila Sunset

Tequila Sunset Member

Ratings:
    +359
    can anyone tell me how sky+ SD is like on it??

Is it best running it through scart RGB?
  6. gizmo1990

gizmo1990 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Going to be picking my set up next week. However, can someone just confirm that the sets standard picture is good when using tweaked settings?

My girlfriend will cut my balls off if we spend all this money and her desperate housewives etc is a pixelated mess!! :suicide:
  7. BrianPK

BrianPK Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Stop worrying!You won't loose your round essentials:DSD quality from a half decent channel can be very good and improves greatly IMO after a few weeks of tweaking and the electronics settling in.:thumbsup:I have never seen a "pixelated mess" on any of the channels I watch:)
  8. aidan

aidan Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I play PS3 everyday and bought it mainly for that so either I cant see this rainbow effect or I have not got it, I know strobes dont have any effect on me so prob I just cant see it

SD is the best quality I have seen on an LCD even poor bandwidth channels like Dave are watchable but decent channels are superb.
  9. metalfossil

metalfossil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that; I guess i should've checked the manual first.:oops:
  10. metalfossil

metalfossil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very much appreciated. Thanks for your help.
  11. metalfossil

metalfossil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I watched 300 on my new 46inch W4500. It honestly just blew me away. This is one wicked machine and I couldn't stop turning around to my poor long suffering wife and saying 'how good does it look...'
  12. Restorer

Restorer Member

Ratings:
    +122
    With [Film Mode] set to either "Auto 1" or "Auto 2", the Sony KDL40W3000 detected 3:2 cadence very quickly over 480i, but locking was not steadfast so the television would drift between video and film mode deinterlacing for film-based content, resulting in intermittent moire and twitter. The same phenomenon was witnessed on PAL movies over 576i (2:2 pulldown).

Erm, can anyone translate this :confused:
  13. Tequila Sunset

Tequila Sunset Member

Ratings:
    +359
    is that through sky+?
  14. YellowSphere

YellowSphere Active Member

Ratings:
    +487
    It means that if you send "source direct" to the panel (i.e. don't use an upscaling DVD player or whatever) the television loses detail when watching movies (I believe that the W4500 is actually worse than the W3000 in this regard). It's probably not hugely noticeable for most people though, and becomes a non-issue with a decent upscaling DVD player.
  15. reckless

reckless Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Just thought I'd provide an update - I received my 52w4500 yesterday after having spent the last week whilst waiting for it worrying if I'd made the right choice, particularly in respect of SD programs.

I have to say that it's absolutely superb. My daughter came in from school, sat down and just blurted out "that's a great picture" and bear in mind she's very non commital about most things (she's 15) and she's used to seeing the pic on our Pio 435. My wife came home and said without prompting that the pic was almost 3-D like - "it looks like we're there" was the comment when I put on the intro to the latest Indiana Jones film. I put on excerpts from Iron Man and the level of detail there was stunning.

Is it perfect? - No. The viewing angle is, IMHO, poor, particularly after coming from a plasma screen. The picture on the Pio is far more "natural" and I can well understand the purists prefering that screen.

However, it's horses for courses and I have to say that I much prefer the pic on this screen to that on my Pio. I've finally got rid of the "noise" on the pixels that I could always see, I'm seeing detail that I couldn't see before, the less glossy screen means that I don't see reflections in the glass of the table lamps etc. Little things all in all but which together add up to a very pleasing purchase indeed.

I've got no blocking, dead pixels and have yet to see clouding. The backlight bleed is not 100% but it's certainly not an issue. DVD, Sky HD & SD and Blu Ray from the PS3 are all excellent. Even Goldenballs and Emmerdale on ITV for my wife looked good :)

All in all, totally delighted. Just about to order a BDPS550 Blu Ray player to go with it (my PS3 is a US machine so won't play UK discs or R2 DVDs).

I've no idea if the Z4500 or X4500 are better but frankly, for this price and with a 5 year guarantee, I couldn't be happier.
  16. spinnaker99

spinnaker99 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, my sentiments exactly. I love my TV. It is an excellent TV with excellent features. I don't really like that it appears to get a hard time because of the vocal few who do have problems with it. The many happy customers with this TV are off enjoying it!
  17. Disco_Stu360

Disco_Stu360 Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Glad to hear your positive thoughts as this is the one I'm looking at. :thumbsup: If you dont mind me asking can you let me know where and how much you paid?

Cheers
  18. Restorer

Restorer Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks for that. I think I see :).
  19. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.