Sony W4500 Series 100Hz,50.000:1 Dynamic contrast,DLNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone has their 40W4500 mounted on a corner stand, or on a pedestal stand in the corner of a room, can they post pictures?
I cannot abide wall mounting, I want it in the corner of a room.
But I need to judge what it'll look like, or recommendations for corner-suitable stands to suit.
Ta:smashin:

What's the average waiting time for a 52W4500 as I ordered mine 4 weeks ago and it has still not arrived.

If anyone has their 40W4500 mounted on a corner stand, or on a pedestal stand in the corner of a room, can they post pictures?
But I need to judge what it'll look like, or recommendations for corner-suitable stands to suit.

This is my corner furniture with 46"

Attachments

• P1000357-1.jpg
    P1000357-1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 204
I sent my 46W4500 back to 1staudiovisual due to clouding getting worse over time in the lower left hand corner. Now some people may find clouding a non-issue and talking about it boring, but when I shell out £1200 of my hard earned it's not something I am willing to accept and I personally find it crazy that others can but that's their choice and that's fine.

Also for me Sony's attitude on this has been very poor imo and for them to say this is normal for LCD tech is plain wrong, when my almost 3 year old Sony 40 inch S LCD has none at all. I have decided on a Samsung LE46A786, which 1staudiovisual are dispatching today (great company btw) so hopefully will be happy with this one.

Last edited:
What HiFi has got an official reaction from Sony after they brought the clouding issue under their attention.

What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision - Blogs

To be honest ... I thought it laughable!

Yep it is laughable, this isn't going to fix or improve the ugly clouding issue, damn they are big losers.

Im glad i waited so long at least i know im not going to buy a Sony TV, this is not accaptable.

I sent my 46W4500 back to 1staudiovisual due to clouding getting worse over time in the lower left hand corner. Now some people may find clouding a non issue and talking about it boring, but when I shell out £1200 of my hard earned it's not something I am willing to accept and I personally find it crazy that others can but that's their choice and that's fine.

Also for me Sony's attitude on this has been very poor imo and for them to say this is normal for LCD tech is pain wrong when my almost 3 year Sony 40 inch S LCD has none at all. I have decided on a Samsung LE46A786, which 1staudiovisual are dispatching today (great company btw) so hopefully will be happy with this one.

I agree with all of that

I just can't understand why a company spends so much on design and software and all the other things that go into these sets and then seems willing to ignore those that end up with something that should be rejected at the quality control stage

You have to feel sorry for the retailers because this sort of carry on must remove most if not all of the margin on these sets and no doubt they then have to argue their corner with the manufacturer if they do right by their customer

just got mine delivered from john lewis this morning and so far very happy. Couple of questions, I watch a lot of sport, football, cricket and nhl and was wondering whether which mode of motionflow will be best (if any). Looking through the manual (quickly) i didn't find anything about 100Hz. Is it on from the start or do you need to enable it.

Many thanks.

Ive just ordered a 52W4500 to replace my Panasonic PZ42 (which will move to my bedroom).

Its a long long thread and finding opinions is tricky, are people generally happy with these sets, i watch almost exclusively HD material now.

I just ordered the same one last night:smashin:I've done a fair bit of research and feel that the majority of buyers are delighted.I'm certain that our sets will be fab.All flatscreens need time for the electronics to bed in and the bulk of problems seem to disappear quickly.I've seen this set in a few showrooms and it whips anything else in sight ...lcd or plasma and I currently have a lovely 42PX60 Pana.plasma. but the razor sharp detail on the Sony is unbeatable.I just can't wait for it to arrive.BTW read any thread about any flatscreen and it's a litany of complaints from start to finish.:DJust look forward to the wonderful experience ahead of us.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I sent my 46W4500 back to 1staudiovisual due to clouding getting worse over time in the lower left hand corner. Now some people may find clouding a non-issue and talking about it boring, but when I shell out £1200 of my hard earned it's not something I am willing to accept and I personally find it crazy that others can but that's their choice and that's fine.

Also for me Sony's attitude on this has been very poor imo and for them to say this is normal for LCD tech is plain wrong, when my almost 3 year old Sony 40 inch S LCD has none at all. I have decided on a Samsung LE46A786, which 1staudiovisual are dispatching today (great company btw) so hopefully will be happy with this one.

I have seen many samsungs with clouding so good luck with that and also the green horizontal lines, cheap reflective screens, poor sound, faulty HDMI's and terrible input lag for PS3

Last edited:
Motionflow set to standard works fine for the football. Football on Sky HD is awsome. No blur, no comet trail on the ball, just a crystal clear image.

Has anyone managed to get JL to pricematch on the 40W4500 (or 4710 as they call it)?

Appartantly the only difference is the lower bit of trim on the front. Chap in Cheadle branch said they wouldn't pricematch as no one else does the 4710. Although their sign next to the tv said "Sony 40W4500 / 4710".

I got one of these 10 days ago for my 40w4500 setup:

zar321445/bk clear glass black border tv stand | Glass Stands for 10-37inch TV

It is only rated upto 37" LCD and Plasma screens but (I gather) that Plasma screens are heavier. I don't really understand the size limits mentioned for TV stands, surely it really comes down to how much weight the stand can take. The stand is rated upto 80kg on the top shelf which is 4 times as much as it needs to be for this TV. They must only be recommendations for aesthetic reasons.

I went for this one because it fitted well into the corner I wanted to use. It is a good size and I like the slight overhang of the TV over the left and right edges of the stand, it really makes the TV feel bigger!

The build quality of the stand is good and the built-in cable management works well too. Two thumbs up from me.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone managed to get JL to pricematch on the 40W4500 (or 4710 as they call it)?

Appartantly the only difference is the lower bit of trim on the front. Chap in Cheadle branch said they wouldn't pricematch as no one else does the 4710. Although their sign next to the tv said "Sony 40W4500 / 4710".

I got them to price match for my W4710 the guy you spoke to at Cheadle dosnt know what hes on about by the sounds of it.

If you look at their website you can see it isnt labelled as just the W4710 anymore like it was when it was new, they renamed it to the Sony Bravia KDL40W4500/4710 so they have to price match it under their "never knowingly undersold" policy

Buy Sony Bravia KDL40W4500/4710 LCD HD Ready 1080p Digital Television, 40 Inch with DVD/HDD Digital Box online at JohnLewis.com

When it was the W4710 only you could not price match it, thats the whole point in them having that model, but they changed the model name to allow for pricematching I got mine for £950 down from £1100 at Cheadle and thought I was buying a W4500 but on delivery turned out to be a W4710 which was a bonus as I think this model is inteded for European market with better QC, you even get 6 or 7 different languaged manuals

Last edited:
I'm curious about your decision to move away from Panasonic plasma to Sony LCD. I've just decided to go the other way because of the potential clouding issue.

I've tried the Sony 46" and the couldn't get a clouding free set. As I'm running out of annual leave for deliveries, I thought I'd jump camp and go over to a Panasonic plasma.

Is there anything specific that made you consider the move from plasma to LCD?

The panasonic set is absolutely fantastic, i have no complaints with it. The only downside to it is its size, i really want something to hang on the wall, and im worried about the weight of the plasma, it would also be a bit too far back for my liking if it was wall mounted.

I dont know if my wall would take a 50" plasma, the weight of it is really heavy. For SD the panny is superb, so it will do a job in my bedroom, but for the living room, i fancy something bigger and brasher. If i have clouding (bad clouding, dont mind a little bit), ill send it back and keep looking for something else, ive got 7 days to test it out.

Sorry, more advice needed.
I have sky and most channels are widescreen but for some reason, some are 4:3. not really a problem as i can use the remote to change the size to wide but it is a bit of a pain. Is there anyway to change the screen size and save the current settings?

Thanks.

I have seen many samsungs with clouding so good luck with that and also the green horizontal lines, cheap reflective screens, poor sound, faulty HDMI's and terrible input lag for PS3

IS that only for A786 line or for other Samsungs as well? I am considering Samsung 40' A656 instead 40W4500 because of clouding but I am completely lost. did 40w4000 have same problem as w4500?

I am not for plasma because of weight, burn issues

the samsung's can have clouding as well(same as all lcd's anyway).the A786 cant though because of LED local dimming technology.but there have been clouding reports about A656 too

Sorry, more advice needed.
I have sky and most channels are widescreen but for some reason, some are 4:3. not really a problem as i can use the remote to change the size to wide but it is a bit of a pain. Is there anyway to change the screen size and save the current settings?

Thanks.

The reason is that the set is displaying the picture in its true size to maintain the proper aspect ratio

Many channels show programmes originally filmed in 4 x 3. When shown in 16 x 9 widescreen the picture is stretched to fill the screen

However if you go into the picture settings you can alter them so that 4 x 3 pictures are shown in widescreen mode as a matter of course

Full details in the Bravia handbook

the samsung's can have clouding as well(same as all lcd's anyway).the A786 cant though because of LED local dimming technology.but there have been clouding reports about A656 too

So basically it seems I need to go for one of those and just make sure there is no technical problem with that.

So preferably local shop so I can easily return TV, doesnt seem like ordering from Amazon now.

Hi

Well I've had my 46" W4710 for a just under two weeks now and as already posted, I have a small amount of backlight bleed in the top corners and, with reference to clouding, I'm not really sure about that because when other users upload pictures of their clouding issues, they all seem be be on a light blue display and so the clouding shows up quite well. How are they getting the light blue display? When I switch inputs to one with no video output, my display is a sort of dark grey.

Anyway, I have around a couple of weeks left before my 28 days from Jl runs out, so I'm going to connect all my other devices to it and see what it's like then. I've read that some users who have a PS3 and play dvd's from it, get random white lines on the display. My present tv is the 40" V3000 and I have no clouding, backlight bleed or random white lines when I play dvd's from my PS3 and, if after connecting the W4710 to the PS3, I try playing a dvd and then get these 'random white lines', I will not be messing around calling Sony and will instead just call JL to say I'm bringing it back for refund.

BTW, what are most recent manufacture dates of the W4710's coming out from JL (should definitely be 10/09 and possibly some 11/09), and has anyone bought one which is issue free?

Regards

Last edited:
So basically it seems I need to go for one of those and just make sure there is no technical problem with that.

So preferably local shop so I can easily return TV, doesnt seem like ordering from Amazon now.

yeah you d better buy from a sure shop so as to be easier to exchange if its cloudy

If you order from a local shop such as Currys/Comet etc you do not get the benefit of distance selling regs and they may well send an engineer from the manufacturer to examine the set rather than let you return it

Does this engineer work for you or the maker?

If you order from John Lewis or 1st Audio reports on this thread say they will help their customer. That's the route to go down

Haven't been on this thread for a few weeks now, but if you're still on about the clouding, I can tell you that my initial (though it was invisible with normal input on - just barely visible in dark scenes) clouding seems to have pretty much cleared up now. Didn't spot any on an input-free screen, though I didn't look thoroughly. It sure doesn't bother me in any way whatsoever. Just thought I'd mention.

Here on my second 40w4500 in 6 weeks with clouding, I just want to post that the clouding has gone smaller after 5 days use with the new set, and that it helps even some more to put light sensor on, as sony says in their official letter/answer about clouding. It will ruin the picture too much for my taste to put power saving on, as sony also surgest. So lot of use, good calibration, backlight on 2, light sensor on, may help some people my self included I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom