Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPH-1272Q rgb/comp input jump

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by treeguy, Mar 21, 2007.

1. treeguy

treeguy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I realized at the end of registration that I had signed up for a European forum though I live in the U.S. but since I don't think my problem relates to any ntsc/pal issues but only my own ignorance I thought I might as well see if someone might be able to help me.
    I recently acquired a Sony VPH-1272q and hung it in my living room. I have installed several projectors in the past but none in the past 12 years and have no manuals so I'm probably just missing something obvious here.
    Sources are an older cable box feeding the composite video input directly and an xbox360 with component output set at 720p running through a vga/rgbhv converter to rgb input A.
    Video is consistent on composite feed from cable box and looks great on rgb input from xbox at 720p however if both sources are left continuously active and you switch input from rgb to composite and then back to rgb again, the rgb size, shift, and blanking have to be re-adjusted each time.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank You
  2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4 Member

Ratings:
    +39
    It;s been a while since I've played with one of these but it sound like a memeory block issue have yoy saved each setting.
    Try going via a blank input to clear out any settings
  3. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi fella!
    Instead of running the 360 via component to a component-RGBHV transcoder why not pick up the xbox vga lead (RGBHV native) and plug in a HD15 (VGA) to 5BNC cable like this one.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SVGA-to-5-BNC...ryZ41999QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    (used as an example only. Pick a lead that suits your quality).

This will eliminate the need for the transcoding process and let the xbox output RGBHV directly to the screen. A lot of people say that some (cheaper) transcoder units crush blacks and remove detail at the darker end of the spectrum. You might also wish to set the xbox to output 1080i via component before you do this as (depending on the calibration of your unit and phosphor ware etc.) the 1272q may be able to project a sharper picture at this resolution (only 540 lines projected at once) than at 720p.

If you prefer the picture at 720p then get the vga cable for the xbox but if 1080i is better for you overall then you've got yourself a nice upgrade and all for free.

Let us know what you think of the two resolutions on the PJ as I've got to set up a Sony shortly with a 360 and need to decide which way to go (720p via vga or 1080i via compoenent and transcoder).

G'luck :thumbsup:

Rob
  4. treeguy

treeguy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Roland I think you are pointing me in the right direction regarding the loss of rgb size, shift, and blanking when switching inputs. So far I just haven't figured out how to save the settings. Any further ideas on this anybody?

Bobby, thanks for the info on the xbox vga cable. I didn't realize they had that available. I already have the vga to bnc breakout cable since the transcoder output is vga so I will try it and see how it compares.

I got lucky and bought the projector government surplus on the cheap and then discovered it had only two total hours and is in new condition. I did try both 1080i and 720p outputs from the xbox and I thought the image was superior in 720p. Both looked excellent but the 720 image just looked more solid.

Slightly off topic. Sunny Cardiff. Reading. Do you guys realize how cool the place names sound over there? Makes me jealous.

Thanks
    Ken
  5. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

720p looks better does it? Well, with just two hours on them, your tubes will be nice and minty so I guess that's not a problem. Thanks for the info, I've just ordered an extron RGBHV switching system off the bay and will use this to switch between the computer and the 360 VGA lead. If 1080i looked better then I'd have used the switcher to switch YcRcB devices instead.

Cheers!

Rob

Edit: If you are going to use the xbox to view high def movies such as HDDVD then the best setting for this for your projector will probably be 1080i and you may have to stick with transcoded component anyway as the 360 will not output 1080i over VGA. A criminal oversight as far as people enjoying high def material on older equipment goes.