1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vaio FW series vs Acer Aspire 6930 series

Discussion in 'Laptops & Netbooks' started by jamiedeluc, Oct 28, 2008.

1. jamiedeluc

jamiedeluc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Im looking to buy an all round entertainment laptop with Blu Ray.. Ive narrowed it down to Sony Vaio FW series and the Acer Aspire Gemstone blue 6930 series.. Can anyone give any feedback to either of these, with regards to performance, abilities and build quality. Or could anyone recommend an equivalent alternative... thanks:)
  2. james.miller

james.miller Member

Ratings:
    +157
    well, the 6930 has only recently been annouced while the fw11 series is due an upgrade very soon (fw21). that aside, they are aimed at different markets. the 6930 has a very capable mobile gpu (nvidia 9600m) while the fw's are lackluster in comparison (ati hd3470 mobility). the fw's have better cpu's, not that theres much in it, 4gb of ram instead of 3gb on the acer and for the same price you can most probably get an fw with a bluray reader.

To choose from the specs alone you'd need to decide whether you want a gaming laptop or a more media-orientated one. as far as build quality goes, unless its been improved on the acer, the fw series really walks away with it with their magnesium bodies and the keyboard which as far as im concerned is unrivaled - better than the macbooks which copy them (not the other way around!) and better than my dinovo even. next to the acers ive seen, the fw's are far ahead with build quality.
  3. jamiedeluc

jamiedeluc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, I think I'm going to go for the Sony, as gaming is not a priority, have ps3 for that. I'm looking at the Fw21m. Which is available from Sony style.
  4. bamturbo

bamturbo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i would def recommend the sony fw11 series, as i have an fw11s myself and i cant fault it, its also very beutifully made. i usually find the acers look a bit cheap, and not as nice
  5. Xstyle

Xstyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +138
  6. Xstyle

Xstyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +138
    I was hoping for a discussion... comments and feedback...
    Still need to get a decent laptop
  7. sinistro

sinistro Member

Ratings:
    +50
    seems that here is the discusion atm :)

I am looking also though I do think the Sony VAIO NW11 S/S is more interesting then the fw series. That the fw got a case that is from magnesium is nice though I prefere the faster procesor and better graphics on the nw.

Play.com (UK) : Sony VAIO NW11 S/S / Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1GHz / 4GB / 320GB / DVD-SM / 15.5" / Vista Home Premium / Laptop / Notebook / Silver : Computing - Free Delivery

This price is a bit high though as I seen it cheaper:

Sony VAIO NW11S/S - VGNNW11S/S.ES2 - Core 2 Duo T6500 / 4GB / 320GB / 15,5" - Sony  | redcoon España
  8. sinistro

sinistro Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Forgot all about this one:

Asus N61VG

ASUS N61Vg / N61Vn specs - gdgt

I seen it in one of the shops here in spain for sale 699 with the intel duo p7450 processor and the gt220 m 1gb graphic
  9. sinistro

sinistro Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I went to check the asus today and as it was next to a sony nw11s the sony looked way better. The asus had all fingers on it from every one who touched it and it was a mess as the sony did not leave any marks at all.

Now in that shop that nw11s was 799 euro I think I will go for the fw41 that is on offer in another shop for 799 also.

The sony's just looked way better finished the the other makes there.
  10. Xstyle

Xstyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +138
    I think the FW series Viao is the one to get... (still trying to figure out which specific model and price point). The Magesium body and pearl finish is fantastic, and still very good specs. Will order one next week with Windows 7 pre-loaded!
  11. Fspiders

Fspiders Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can't really compare but I can state the aspire 6930 is a superb laptop.. Great for games having 1gig dedicated video and I can't fault it having tried wxp x64 Vista x64 and now windows 7 x64.

This laptop rocks in every aspect I've tried from games to movies.

I think the fact that the display acer was full of fingerprints means it's one that has had the most interest.

Only thing I can fault it with is that it picks up fingerprints and greasy marks on the outside real easy... And takes a bit of thorough cleansing..

10 out of 10 for me. Absolutely love my 6930

Regards.
  12. andyp

andyp Member

Ratings:
    +7
    My opinion for what it's worth...

A few months back I had decided to replace my current ageing NR series Sony laptop for a more powerful media based machine. I'm a complete die hard Sony fan, so only Sony would do, and after a bit of research narrowed it down to the FW31.... The spec was awesome for the price, even inc a blu-ray writer, although for me £850+ was still a lot of cash.... But, when I went to my local Sony shop to have a look in the flesh, I was bitterly disappointed.... I thought the build quality and finish were terrible (I am very picky!), it felt flimsy and cheap, and the silver coloured plastic looked bland. Has anyone from the Sony design dept. actually looked at a Mac Book Pro?! So, I shelved the idea completely….

However, now looking again :rolleyes: and currently considering the AW series, specifically the new VGN-AW41ZF/B…. Would really rather not spend so much on a laptop, but the spec does everything I 'need' :)
  13. james.miller

james.miller Member

Ratings:
    +157
    that bland plastic is actually magnesium lol
  14. FLINTOFF

FLINTOFF Member

Ratings:
    +5
    i'm looking at the fw 51 only thing stopping me is i've not a clue about graphics it has the ati graphics in them .