Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony str-dg520 dead? need help.

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by shagvirus, Sep 28, 2008.

1. shagvirus

shagvirus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nephew was playing some music for a few hours with his str-dg520.Speakers he was using (cerwin vega vs-15). Music shut off, went upstairs to see what problem was. Receiver smelled kind of funny. Now will not turn on at all. No power display on unit.

Had a small desk fan ontop of unit blowing into it to cool it. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mOwdq61AL._SS500_.jpg

Possible blown fuse? or is it dead?

Thanks for your time
  2. Helicon

Helicon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +269
    The amp will be blown.

Budget AV receivers are built to a price point. They're made cheaply, built cheaply, and aren't as well specced as more expensive ones. AV amps/receivers are already at a power disadvantage compared to hi-fi amps as it is, but having to drive 5 or 7 channels as well as everything else it has to do for £200/300, something's got to give. In this case, the amp is not man enough to drive your speakers. Your next step up is about £500, and if they can't do it, you're looking more towards £1k, especially if your speakers are 4 ohms.

I've mentioned many times before - an AV amp/receiver should be chosen on suitability, not price. There will be many disappointed owners of these new Sony's.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. shagvirus

shagvirus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    update ::

went over to his house.

The recv when plugged in, you press power button you hear a click but no power to display or anything? is there a fuse to replace?
  4. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2 Member

Ratings:
    +166
    Using speakers that hefty on an amplifier like this is just silly - especially at high volume which he obviously has been doing if he was downstairs when he was listening to it, having a fan blowing on it gives this away too.

The warranty will be void I should imagine - I know I wouldn't accept a return on an amplifier through mis-use like this at my store anyway.

Now - get him to buy a second hand more powerful stereo two channel amplifier off of eBay or somewhere similar, this will be much, much more suitable for what he wants. The poster above will agree, and I agree with him too, buy a receiver or amp for the purpose you require, not the cost.

The amp will be shot mate, no fuse will fix this if it smells funny - something will have burnt inside.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. shagvirus

shagvirus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can you suggest me an amp for these speakers? also can it be hooked up to an Xbox360 / TV combo...that was another reason for him getting that recv.

thanks for your time
  6. Helicon

Helicon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +269
    Any link to the spec of the speakers? Any spec details you can give?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2 Member

Ratings:
    +166
    If your friend likes Sony gear - tell him to check out the older "QS" Amps on eBay, I can't recall any models at the moment but they will be a sufficient upgrade from the 520 for stereo sound, if he wants multichannel audio, again, look for QS stuff, it'll be relatively cheap.

If he's going to play music very loud, due to the size of his speakers, i'd recommend something along the lines of Denon or Rotel - these again can be bought pretty cheaply on eBay and so forth.

Indication would be helpful :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. shagvirus

shagvirus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Main reason for his setup is music thru Xbox360, 360games. General tv watching. Not so much multi chan.

cerwin vega VE-15 15" 3-Way Towers
    requency Response: 26 Hz - 20 kHz
    # Peak Power: 400 watts
    # Sensitivity (1w/1m): 95 dB# 5 1/4" Midrange with Fiber Impregnated Cone
    # 1 1/4" Treated Silver Mylar Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
    # 15" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofer
    # Protection: Self-Reseting, PTC (tweeter), Fuse (woofer)
    # Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure
    # Dimensions (HxWxD): 16.6 " x 20.8 " x 36"
    # Weight: 80 lbs.

thanks
  9. shagvirus

shagvirus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone reccomend an amp to power these speakers? possible to hookup an amp to the sony str-dg520?
  10. shagvirus

shagvirus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BUMP.

looking for what kind of receiver to power these speakers.

thanks