Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DA2400ES Owners Thread - *Part 3*

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by dwhite, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ithorne

ithorne Member

Ratings:
    +70
    :suicide: My mistake I am using composite (Red/Whit/Yellow)

That said I can't see why you can't use component video into one of the three sets of Component inputs (Labelled Compo1-Compo3) - of course then you would need to put the audio into the Audio inputs on Video 1 - and then assign the Compo sockets to the Video 1 button via the menu - see page 88 or so of the manual. In GUI mode, from the Options Menu, Select Video 1, and Input Assign, then Component 1.

Hope this helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. johnincov

johnincov Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've posted about my Sony 2400 here before

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1163784-possible-crossover-problem.html

but have now identified the distortion problem as being limited to the digital decoding of the amp.

I recently bought a Cambridge Audio amp and JBL speakers to go in my office, plugged in my mobile phone and nearly fell off my chair when it sounded better than on my setup in the living room. After much tweaking I got a cheap phono to phono cable and connected it from the analogue outs on my BD player to the analogue ins for BD on the 2400ES. The difference in sound between running 2 ch stereo from the HDMI and analogue direct is enough to bring tears of frustration to my eyes. Not only is the hideous distortion that I have previously written about gone but musically its in a different league. All the richness, depth and immediacy that music can bring is suddenly there. At a stroke I have stopped looking for power amps and replacement speakers. Everything from Eva Cassidy to Muse suddenly sounds completely different.

I would very much like to know if anyone else has any thoughts about this. I’m convinced that the DAC is shot and is clipping with the bass, although I can get round this when playing a CD, the bass notes on movies still distorts so it’s going back to the shop. However I’d appreciate knowing whether people prefer the sound of a CD from a digital or analogue input.

Best wishes

John
  3. ciarantpower

ciarantpower Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi John,

I have used my 2400 with a Marantz DV7001 on both the analog and HDMI connections with CD's and really there is a very small difference, with the analog being better, so what you are describing sounds like a problem with the receiver, out of interest have you tried reseting the receiver and the sound fields (pages 36 and 64 in the manual), Hope this helps and hope you get your receiver sorted.

Ciaran
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. johnincov

johnincov Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ciaran,

thanks for the reply. I did a complete system reset and problem apparently solved! :clap: I haven't used the auto setup mic as I can work through speaker volume levels and distances myself but the amp has been transformed. Avatar sounds as it should in DTS-MA and the music sounds great. There is a still noticable difference between HDMI CD audio and analog direct but its not night and day as it was before. Very confusing but I now have an amp that is worth every penny that I paid for it. Not a hint of bass note confusion.

Many apols to those that read this forum and have helped in the past, the amp and speakers are vindicated and some awful setting is to blame (not to mention my muppetry). It wasn't dynamic range compression as that was definitly off.

For the record this is my best to worst music sound.

Analogue Direct CD via Phono
    Analogue Direct MP3 (340kbs encoding) from a PC via Phono
    2 Ch Stereo from CD via HDMI
    Analogue Direct Spotify (not premium) from a PC via Phono
    2 Ch Stereo MP3 (340kbs encoding) from a PC via digital coax
    2 Ch Stereo Spotify (not premium) via digital coax

Happy listening all,

John
  5. ciarantpower

ciarantpower Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi John,

That's great you got it sorted! and if you want to calibrate the speaker levels I would highly recommend using an SPL meter, there are some great threads on the forum on how to do this, anyway glad to have helped and happy listening.

Ciaran.
  6. mr.black79

mr.black79 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi all,

I’ll soon be upgrading from a HTS-S360 to my first proper separate system. Can any owners confirm if the STR passes the 1080p signal from BD player/PS3 to display unaltered? It mentions 1080p up-scaling via HDMI on the official site, while the manual refers to up-scaling analogue sources. All I need is for the AVR to handle HD audio decoding, while any video is sent via HDMI to my display untouched.
  7. ciarantpower

ciarantpower Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Mate,

Can confirm the 2400 only upscales analogue video and does not interfere with digital video, hope you enjoy your new receiver I have had mine for over a year and it's a great receiver.

Ciaran.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. mr.black79

mr.black79 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Glad to hear it, I was tempted by the Onkyo TX608 but mention of stuttering HDMI video and internal fans failing for some people put me off. Even if you set the Onkyo to let digital sources through unaltered, it still does with colour space affecting play back.

I'm not keen on taking chances with my luck. The STR has been out for a while now and has lots of feedback online, so I'll go for that instead with a set of Q acoustics. The set-up I have now is fine but with a decent avr and speakers I'll get more out of my BD.
  9. INXS

INXS Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I can indeed confirm that the STRADA is the bees' knees, the mutts' nuts and more often than not ... the big bad dogs' ********!

Enjoy.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sunnykhan

sunnykhan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone point out how the speaker levels can be adjusted manually on the Sony 2400es. I have an analogue meter.
    The instruction manual is poor in this respect.
    When I go onto the speaker level screen (gui mode) and highlight level, there is no tone, so how can I adjust it.

cheers
  11. ithorne

ithorne Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Page 65 of the manual (which can be downlaoded from the sony website) in thesection entitled:

"making Settings with the manual setup menu" ;)
  12. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1 New Member

Ratings:
    +551
    As you are manually adjusting settings why do you expect a tone?

I personally use an SPL meter, note any discrepancies and then just + or - the Db settings for each speaker accordingly.

My only advice would be to believe the inbuilt calibration for the subwoofer, or use your own ears, as any SPL meter (IMHO) is woefully inadequate at low frequencies and requires much correction for accurate results.
  13. sunnykhan

sunnykhan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. I expected this answer, but not what I was hoping for.
    I have read the manual. This is what procedure i follow.
    I go to settings-speaker-manual setup.
    Then I highlight the speaker I wish to adjust. Then using the arrows on the remote, i highlight the bar showing LEVEL.
    Lets just say it shows 0dB for the center channel.

Now, I have the sound meter in hand. I want to adjust the level on the amp so that my sound meter shows 75dB. But there is no sound from the Amp, there is no TONE. Therefore, no reading on the sound meter.

That Is what I am trying to ask. Simple question, asked in a more detailed fashion now. Hope there is a very simple answer, and I have just missed something.

cheers
  14. ithorne

ithorne Member

Ratings:
    +70
    I haven't done this myself but you can generate a tone from each speaker in turn (which I have done for testing purposes) select the tone setting as on page 69. I suspect you then increase or decrease the volume as per step 6 until the SPL meter reads the same in each location. This is likely to be a trail and error process. (Only because setting up sound always is...)
  15. sunnykhan

sunnykhan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As I haven't received any suitable replies, I am posting my query again.
    There must be some one who can answer my simple query.

I have read the manual. This is what procedure i follow.
    I go to settings-speaker-manual setup.
    Then I highlight the speaker I wish to adjust. Then using the arrows on the remote, i highlight the bar showing LEVEL.
    Lets just say it shows 0dB for the center channel.

Now, I have the sound meter in hand. I want to adjust the level on the amp so that my sound meter shows 75dB. But there is no sound from the Amp, there is no TONE. Therefore, no reading on the sound meter.

That Is what I am trying to ask. Simple question, asked in a more detailed fashion now. Hope there is a very simple answer, and I have just missed something.

cheers
  16. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,609
    Engage the test tone prior to entering the speaker levels. The amp allows you to navigate within the LEVELS settings even when the test tone is playing. You can adjust the levels with the tone playing.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. ciarantpower

ciarantpower Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Mate,

Just to elaborate a bit more on Dante's post, if you go into the test tone menu and then select "Test Tone" and pressing the down button you can manually select any speaker to play the test tone and then press the centre button and you can then adjust the Db on the speaker, this is the way I calibrated my system, Hope this helps.

Ciaran.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. sunnykhan

sunnykhan Member

Ratings:
    +0

I'll try this out.

Thanks guys.
  19. StuR6

StuR6 Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I can see lots of people adjusting single speaker outputs, but can't see my query; and I've read the manual cover to cover; so very quickly:

I have used the Auto calibration of my 5.0 system - yes, missing the sub. I have the TV connected via Hdmi to the amp, and also use an optical. I use the 2nd optical port for the PS3 (ps3 picture goes directly to tv - no need for upscale). In the GUI onscreen menu, I've been into settings and seen that the Amp is looking at all 5 speakers (later confirmed when I play on PS3).

The sound through the ps3 is great; I can now hear the rear speakerss working away; more bass than i realised they had. Its taking some getting used to.

When I play stuff on the PS3 it comes out as all 5 speakers chiming away. However, when I turn the nob to pick up the TV sound instead (and flick the PS3 off, and turn to a regular Freeview channel), then only the two front speakers work.

I personally would like the Centre speaker to be on too. This is how I had my Yamaha amp setup previously; it helps define muddy vioces lost in background noise (and my floor standers are not perfect). ie - why is it choosing to only give out Stereo sound; even if the broadcast is in steroe, I want the option to use the Centre too. The Yamaha coped fine; I am sure the Sony can do it - jsut the manual is unclear. Its as if the amp can detect the output from tv is stereo, and thus will only use 2 speakers - I want to over-ride this.

Is this possible?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  20. ciarantpower

ciarantpower Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Mate,

What you need to do is a apply a sound field, the easiest way to do this is when you are in the TV input press the A.F.D. button on the front of the receiver and this will toggle through the available sound modes, do this and select "Esurround" this should give you sound through all your speakers, hope this helps.

Ciaran.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. The 8 Ball

The 8 Ball Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Had my system sety up for about 10 months now, had no problems at all until a couple of days ago.

Normally if I turn my TV on the amp will turn on and if I turn the TV off the amp will turn off. However the amp will no longer turn on when I turn on my TV, I have to use the amps remote to turn it on (although it still turns off ok).

Ok, not a big problem, however, this is not the only problem which has occured. The amp will now turn 'mutting' on 5-10 seconds after the amp turns on, which I have to manually turn off. If I turn to a HD channel, I get no sound at all (and no blue light) and I am no longer able to turn the volume up and down using the TV remote.

I have tride several things to rectify the problem, resetting the amp, different HDMI cables etc but this has had no effect.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem or has any other ideas?

Your help would be much appriciated.:(
  22. INXS

INXS Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Here's a query for the boffins out there.

I'm connecting the CD to the Strada with (decent gold-plated) analog red-n-white cables.

Common sense dictates a better quality sound will transmit via an optical cable.

I tried that, sounds lush ... BUT, there's always the first split second of music that's lost whilst the STRADA decodes the music (I presume it's decoding or sumink!)

I know in the Audio Settings part of the manual (last para on page 56) this is mentioned, but I would've appreciated a fuller explanation and (possibly) a way around it. Anyone?

Digital is the way, but not when you miss the beginning of a track! gggrrrrrr!
  23. Anastie

Anastie Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Hello all

Does this receiver act as an HDMI pass through when its off/ in standby?

At present I have to use an HDMI switcher and would hope that this receiver would do it all for me and change to the desired HDMI output if I selected SkyHD, Bluray or WDTV.

Thanks in advance
  24. William YZF-R1

Ratings:
    +551
    No not when in standby or off but it does change HDMI inputs, SkyHD, Bluray etc when turned on.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. Anastie

Anastie Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Thanks for the reply. So if I select blu ray etc the amp will auto switch?
  26. William YZF-R1

Ratings:
    +551
    Yes it will auto switch, you can even change the default input names that come up in the display, ie change "SAT" to "Sky+HD", "BDP" to Blu-Ray" etc if you want.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Anastie

Anastie Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Hi
    Just picked up one of these from Richersounds. A few issues more to do with my setting up I am sure so can anyone help?

My first issue is the dreaded error 33. I have checked and rechecked connections. Yes I did have my rear speakers connected to surround back at first for my 5.1 setup:blush:

However I still get error 33. My fronts are bi-wired and I have tried bi wire set to on and off.As my cables run under the carpet and one of the rears is not colour coded I did worry that neg and pos terminals were the wrong way round. I swapped but either way I got sound during a test tone. But still despite all the above error 33 on auto calibration

Any ideas?

Second point relates to connection advice.

I have a Sony BluRay, WDTV and SkyHD (plus a harmony remote)

I have not set these up correctly yet. Should the out from the receiver go into HDMI 1 on my TV? I want to work Sky HD separately to the amp for normal viewing. I presume to the get 5.1 from the HD box I use an optical connection as the HD HDMI does not recognise 5.1 is that correct?

Thanks in advance. all help always appreciated and yes I have searched:D
  28. William YZF-R1

Ratings:
    +551
    The causes of error "E33" are fully explained in the manual (page 49), have you eliminated all causes?

For optical sound to override HDMI sound you will need to press the "input"" button until "optical" (might be digital I don't look) in the display.

The 2400ES only has one HDMI output (& 4 inputs) you can plug the output into any of your TV's HDMI inputs, it should make no difference.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  29. Anastie

Anastie Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. This is what is confusing me. I have checked all of the causes in the manual and all are fine.
  30. William YZF-R1

Ratings:
    +551
    The only time I have had an "E33" error was when I wasn't forceful enough when inserting the calibration microphone.

If you have truly eliminated all the causes I would disconnect the surround sound speakers temporarily and retry.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.