Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HXD860 dvd drive has gone faulty?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by couchsucks, Jun 17, 2010.

1. couchsucks

couchsucks Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

Recently I haven't been able to burn anything to dvd from the hard drive of my HXD860. When I stick the disc in it formats it fine, then I go to dub the selected videos in 'fast' mode and it sits there for about 2 minutes then says that the disc is 'Dirty' and stops dead in its tracks.
    I take the dvd out and it has burned a tiny ring of data, presumably the proprietary code for having an un-closed disc but it means that the disc is wasted as I can't use it on anything else. This is with Verbatim 16x media, also tried it with some ridata discs and the same result.
    If I try to do an 'Original' speed burn, i.e. an hour of video takes an hour to burn, it doesn't complain the disc is dirty but the timer to finish recording never goes down and the machine needs to be turned off at the wall to snap it out of it. :facepalm:

It seems then that the dvd drive has become faulty while everything else about the machine is totally fine. I tried using a dvd lens cleaner and it hasn't had any effect. Is there any way to get a spare drive and replace it? Sony are absolutely ridiculously priced when getting anything repaired, at this point I think they will probably charge twice what the machine is now worth.
  2. ravingdave

ravingdave Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I had a similar problem with an 870 model a few months ago. Started off failing on 'fastdub' whilst real-time continued to work OK.
    After asking the same question on this forum it transpired that the DVD drive is not a standard PC style DVD re-writer, and spares are not readily available.
    I gave up on the fix-it approach and bought an entire replacement unit on eBay.
    The faulty unit is now connected to a second TV for freeview recording/playback, and back in action with full fast-dub facilities on the replacement unit.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1 New Member

Ratings:
    +551
    If you are sure its the drive you can buy a new one from here

The bad news is its £204.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana Active Member

Ratings:
    +222
  5. couchsucks

couchsucks Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your help everyone. I was worried that I would just have to buy another one and use this one as a large and unwieldy freeview/watch-and-delete combo. I saw the same model entire unit go on ebay for £60, I should have gone for it if the drive alone is a 'bargain' at nearly £90! I was just very worried that the exact same thing would happen to it soon.
  6. ravingdave

ravingdave Member

Ratings:
    +19
    When I bought my replacement off of eBay I asked the potential sellers how much the DVD had been used for burning disks before bidding. Most of those I contacted said that they had very rarely used the machine for burning disks, and in some cases never. Typical useage seemed to be simple hard disk record/delete and playing commercial DVDs. They could have been telling fibs of course, but look at feedback to make your own judgement. Touch Wood no issues with my replacement so far.
  7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana Active Member

Ratings:
    +222
    I don't know much about the 60' range but the later 70' range has the main dvd recorder electronics as part of the dvd drive hence its going to be expensive. The main pcb below it is the input/output and dual tuner pcb for the uk or european market. So hopes of a £40-50 replacement drive is unrealistic. They're reliable but sadly very expensive to fix when they do go wrong, however Panasonic are no better.
  8. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1 New Member

Ratings:
    +551
    Well I have to admit I have never used mine to burn to DVD, so perhaps its the case with some Ebay sellers too