Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR HX-950

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by vinaymieux, Feb 29, 2008.

1. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have the Sony RDR HX-950. I had a few questions regarding it:

1. How can i pause the TV from it. I know it has the option. There is a dedicated button also on the remote which says 'TV Pause' ; but when i press it a message comes on the screen saying 'cannot perform operation' :mad:. Anyone knows how to?
    2. Can i upgrade the software version of the player also? The version under-
    System Menu / Initial Setup / Audio Out / Dolby Digital Output / Dolby Digital / press key ‘9’ is 1.44. Is there a new one available?
    3. Where can i find a user manual online? I searched a lot but for this model there isn't any even on sony websites :(.
  2. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    1) on my 970b you have to put the box on the channel to be recorded ( say bbc1 digital ) , then you press the button for it to be recorded

so I assume you must place the box on the chosen channel and then press the button , if its not on the channel then you will get an error message
  3. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,570
    I don't know where you've been searching but is is on this Sony website.
  4. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @ ramjet

But that is for recording a program. I'm talking about pausing a TV program you are watching (not recording). What the function states is that while you are watching a program on TV and if you press the 'TV pause' button; the program pauses and the recorder starts recording the program from that point. Now you can just press play and the program starts playing from where you left it while the rest which is being broadcasted is being recorded. Simultaneous record and play!

@ JayCee

No English manual there.
  5. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    I was only talking about getting the program to actually record , not to watch it while it is already recording , perhaps your opening post wasnt clear about this ?

1. How can i pause the TV from it. I know it has the option. There is a dedicated button also on the remote which says 'TV Pause' ; but when i press it a message comes on the screen saying 'cannot perform operation' . Anyone knows how to?

this indicated to me you were having a problem initiating the recording , not playing it back afterwards

so lets say you have got it to record ok on the correct channel by pressing the TV PAUSE button

now what I do is press title list , and the top item will say it is recording , you just select it and it will play from the beginning of the recording , just as you would from any other previous recording on there , as any can be selected , even while it is recording

this is a chase/play function

an alternative is to press the rec button while you are on the correct channel on the recorder , and this will allow you to record as well , and you can press title list and watch anything in that list , including the one you are recording

as I say in my earlier post , this is on a 970b but it all sounds the same setup to me

as for the manual , it is definitely on that website given to you earlier by jaycee under dvd recorders , in 12 languages , under RDR-HX950

h**p://support.sony-europe.com/manuals/manuals.aspx?l=en#m=RDR-HX950

there is no firmware update listed on that site for the RDR-HX950
  6. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ramjet,

I guess you still didn't understand what my query was. What i wanted to say was that if you are watching a program on TV and you press the 'TV pause' button; the program pauses right there (the screen pauses) and the recorder starts recording the program from that point in the background. Now whenever you want, you can just press play and the program starts playing from where you left it (pause screen) while the rest which is being broadcasted is being recorded simultaneously. Something like pausing live TV in Windows media centre PC. Do you know about this option? I was told that these models with HDD have it. That explains the 'TV pause' button also. Otherwise if it was just about recording a program then you already have a record button. I hope this might clear things!:)

About the manual- You are right, there are 12 languages given; but none of them is English!
  7. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    ok , first point about the 950 is I dont think it is an english based product , which is why it possibly does not have an english manual on their european website , but the 960 or 970 manuals may suffice as they probably are similar but upgraded models , and you wont find one in any other language used in india that I know of

as for the chase/play scenario , I have just tested it both ways on your behalf

1) you can press the record now button and it will record your chosen channel , and you can then press the title list button and it will have the top file as "recording" , this can be played back and so chase tv works

2) you can do it your way by pressing the "tv pause" button on the chosen channel , this starts a recording and the picture on screen is frozen at the start point , now leave this a while , then press the PLAY button and it plays from the start point and says "chase tv" on screen , this can be stopped or started or paused using the normal playback buttons. pressing the "record stop" button stops this chase tv recording altogether.

while it is recording using chase tv , it can still be accessed through the title list as well

so various ways of doing it and various buttons to press too

but the recording method and watching what you are recording works from the title list

or "pause tv" works , freezing it at the start point , pressing play initiates the recording from the frozen point

if you press pause tv button and initiate the recording , pressing it again gives the error message as its already doing it

lastly , I could not find a firmware update for the 950 , just the 970
  8. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,570
    Sorry vinaymieux I didn't take the time to look thoroughly and just presumed one of those listed would be in English.
    This model doesn't appear to have been released in the UK as ramjet says and I notice from your profile you're in India.
    As ramjet says a manual for a similar model will probably suffice.
  9. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @ ramjet

Thats what i wanted to know. Thanks for all the info. It is working for you so it is clear that the function is there. But the problem I was facing is that when I press the 'TV pause' button it does not do anything (no pausing screen, no recording); it just gives an error message- 'cannot perform operation'. Are you using some special setting from recording formats or some other setting. Its not working for me. The recording functions work just fine though.

@ JayCee

Its ok JayCee, thanks for the help though.:)
  10. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    as I said in post 2 , I am using the digital version of say bbc1 or bbc2 to try this in my country , this is called freeview and is digital terrestrial tv in my country

so I am viewing the dtv channel ( bbc2 this morning ) and then did as I explained , no other buttons were pressed , just the pause tv button on the channel I was watching , which then paused the channel onscreen and started a hdd recording , then pressed play 5 minutes later and it started from the frozen point as chase tv

this function may not work on other inputs so I will try analogue , line 1 , line 2 later and see , but on by dtv it worked fine ( sony 970 , not 950 though )
  11. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But still i don't see why it would not do it if its not digital. The basic function is just to start recording the current program (which it does do if i press record) and then just play it from where i want. Its like a dvd you're watching and then you press pause whenever you wish. Only there the DVD is already recorded; but here it starts recording right then.
    Anyhow, please check with analogue (cable wire) and composite and let me know. I'm using direct cable wire at present.
  12. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,222
    Might there be a video mode conflict here? [ NTSC / PAL ] ... according to whether a disc is in the drive or a menu setting?

In other words is perhaps the received broadcast not the same as the current video mode of the machine ... producing the 'cannot perform operation' message.
  13. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    checked my 970 using digital tv and analogue pal I tv and both work fine using either method I outlined earlier

also checked mine using the line 1 in ( scart input ) and line 2 phono inputs and also works ok on those too

so all sources worked fine on the 970b using pause tv and play buttons etc
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well then i guess i'll just have to check with different settings again and again to see which one works. Will revert back.
    Thanks a lot guys for all the info.:thumbsup:
  15. RonBos

RonBos Member

Ratings:
    +6

Here is a link for the English manual for the RDR-HX750 (also valid for the RDR-HX950):

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2899893131.pdf

Ron
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. RonBos

RonBos Member

Ratings:
    +6

You will find a detailed description of the TV Pause settings and requirements on pages 67 and 127 of the manual:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2899893131.pdf

Two important requirements for TV Pause to work are:

1. Your TV must support "SMARTLINK"

2. Preset programme positions by downloading from your TV using "Download from TV" of "Auto Channel Setting" in the "Tuner" setup (page 111).

Ron
  17. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ron,

I'm not using the SCART cable, my TV does have the jack but most importantly- my DVD player does not have a SCART out. I use the simple Aerial connection or the AV composite cable with the set top box as my set top box also has only an AV out. Also i could not find where is the setting to switch between TV's Tuner and Recorder's Tuner (that is mentioned on page 127 of manual).

Thanks for the manual. This one also works for me!:)
  18. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,570
    The manual Ron linked to clearly shows the RDR-HX750 DVD Recorder has 2 scart sockets on page 14.
  19. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but I don't have a 750, i have a 950 and moreover SCART is only for Europe; whereas my DVD recorder is from Asia.
  20. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,570
    Apologies.
    RonBos was wrong when he stated "also valid for the RDR-HX950" then.
  21. RonBos

RonBos Member

Ratings:
    +6

I don't think the issue is: RDR-HX750 vs RDR-HX950, but rather European model vs Asian model.

Ron
  22. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's true! It was the manual which was "also valid for the RDR-HX950"; which is almost the same and works just fine :smashin:

Any other ways to do it?

@ Ron
    Where is the setting to switch between TV's Tuner and Recorder's Tuner (that is mentioned on page 127 of manual) in the DVD recorder?
  23. RonBos

RonBos Member

Ratings:
    +6

On the remote select "System Menu" and using the cursor buttons select:

• Initial Setup
      On the left of the screen you'll see the following options (without the numbers):
      (To see options #9, #10, and #11 you have to scroll down!)

1. Basic
      2. Tuner
      3. Video In/Out
      4. Audio In
      5. Audio Out
      6. Language
      7. Recording
      8. Playback
      9. HDMI Output
      10. Options
        [*] Options 2

1. USB
          [*] TV Pauze

1. TV's Tuner
          2. Recorder's Tuner

At least that's the way my European RDR-HX750 works. :)

Ron
  24. vinaymieux

vinaymieux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the reason i also couldn't find the option in the first place.

Under Options 2; i only have USB, only one option, no TV Pause!

Do you think my recorder does not support this feature??

I think it could be solved by a software upgrade. Anyone know how to and where from?? :lease: