Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PMB Export Sorting Renaming Options

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by vspete, Jun 7, 2010.

1. vspete

vspete Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone found a way to export a mixture of jpg and m2ts files from PMB in a "date taken" sort? I need the files to be renamed in sequence so that the video editor can import them in sort order.

If there are alternate methods to accomplish this result other than using Sony's PMB, I would appreciate any advice.:)

Many thanks - Pete
  2. fpaivinha

fpaivinha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need the same thing. Could you figure out how to do that?

Thanks.
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Use a batch file renaming utility to add the date in American order (mmddyyyy) to the beginning of all the .mts filenames and then repeat for the .jpg files.

Example

Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility
  4. fpaivinha

fpaivinha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, but I think it doesn't work for me. I already have in a folder pictures of just one day. In this folder there are pictures of 3 cameras and they have different names. The order by name doesn't work. I think just PMB recognize the data taken. So when I visualize the pictures there, I can see by data taken and in order. Doesn't matter the name of pictures... All softwares that I have tried to rename, they don't read this data taken. Because of that, I can not use a batch to rename.

I appreciate for the help.
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    The date is normally part of the file metadata, that's what the batch file rename recovers and adds it to the file name. If you use the mmddyyyy format an alpha sort will put all the shots in exact date order irrespective of the file extension.

You also don't need to use PMB. Other video editors can sort the files in alpha order. Adding a mmddyyyy prefix means they will be sorted with all shots with the same date metadata sorted by the initial date.

I will try it out on a folder of MTS files.

You were correct only PMB can recover the embedded file creation dates. My version of PMB can display files in a folder in date taken order but you can't display photos and video in the same folder at the same time so I don't think it's possible to create to create a list of mixed files in date order unless you can find out how to read the embedded date metadata using external software.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012