Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NAV-U51 Map Update Question

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Nav & Dash Cam Forum' started by ianonline, Jun 23, 2007.

1. ianonline

ianonline Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok im a new here so hello to all.
    I recently purchased a NAV-U51 and am very pleased with it in general, but I have one small map issue I do not understand.
    Some streets and road modifications are not on the system, my road for example is fairly new its not there and some of the POI are showing petrol stations where houses are now going up!
    How is this information updated on the sat nav? I did the software update off sonys site, that didnt help, are there map updates available as well?
    Sorry if its a stupid question, but surely as the unit gets older and more road modification occur then the maps should improve, like a road atlas renewed each year
    Thanks in advance
  2. daveb975

daveb975 Active Member

Ratings:
    +159
    It should improve, but it unfortunately does not always work like that.

I have a TomTom, and even with the latest maps it still does not recognie some road systems that have changed 5-6 years ago.
  3. xmb

xmb Member

Ratings:
    +75
    No map update for your unit yet as it is too new.

The map update for the older U50 costs £90 from Sony (but includes all Europe).

Sometimes it is cheaper to just buy a new unit when the maps are old!