Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony launch their UK TV line-up for 2014

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 21, 2014.

1. sammy20v

sammy20v Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Well lets all get our hopes up again to be let down again :) Still I can feel my excitement building.
  2. Loopthrough

Loopthrough Active Member

Ratings:
    +277
    I don't know what's going on here, but it looks like the happy W9 owners touched a nerve or something!! I wasn't aware of deceiving anyone??! :confused:

No batch of TVs is going to be identical, you get tolerances good and bad within panels which explains why some W9s have worse "pillars" than others, but on the whole Sony's QC is pretty damn good. Actually I think (and I'm in a good position to say this) Sony and Philips have probably got the best uniformity of all the LCDs out there on the whole.

And the W9 won the EISA award which is hardly given lightly.
  3. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    That's the backlight module. LCD panels can be purchased with or without a backlight. I would imagine that's because Sony are using a custom backlight with the Quantum Dots, so that's why.
  4. Yappa

Yappa Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I had three W905 and all of them had uniformity issues. The shadows which plague every set are already hard to stomach but the pink viewing angle was too much for me.
    So yeah, if the W955 can get rid of those problems due to different Triluminos quantum dots, then it might be the right TV for me.
    Regarding the panels Samsung vs. AUO, I would be surprised if the new models had worse black levels than last year's. See the test results for the Sony W685.
  5. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
  6. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
  7. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    haha yeah i noticed that, assume it is the 55W955 though albeit with the wrong description
  8. fluxo

fluxo Active Member

Ratings:
    +605
    I think Sony were thinking along the right lines with the HX853, except that it was let down somewhat by poor execution. That is:

1) The base speaker design should have been better.
    2) The tilt angle could have been adjustable.
    3) The TV could have slotted onto the base without having to attach an extra bit to the TV first.
    4) Electrical contacts on the bottom of the TV and top of the base would have eliminated the need for a connecting cable.
    5) A conventional stand option for those that preferred it could have been offered.
  9. fluxo

fluxo Active Member

Ratings:
    +605
    The situation may be improved with the direct-lit backlit models Sony is introducing this year. That is the good news. The bad news is that only the top 2 UHD series get this type of lighting and only one of those series will be made available in the UK. Unfortunately, the 955 will not benefit from this improvement.
  10. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    There was a conventional stand available. You could order it directly from Sony. Although I agree about the tilt option.
  11. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    I've ordered the 50" W829 anyway so I will soon be able to see what this year's AUO panels are like... and if it has any Motionflow options (which it probably will, being a W8 series).
  12. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    When are you expecting it to arrive? It will be interesting to see how this years models compare to last years with them coming in so much cheaper from the off, either Sony were overcharging for last years models because they could (no downwards pressure on prices from e.g. 4k) or they've made some significant cost savings somewhere with this years models which can't bode well, time will tell I guess..
  13. rr373

rr373 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Loopthrough, where did you order 50" W829 and how much did it cost? Currys is having for 999. Did they give an ETA on when you will receive it?
  14. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    I preordered it for £780.00 including delivery, but there's no delivery date as yet (I would imagine the end of February). Ideally wanted the 55" version, but that's not coming out until June, so I'll see what the range is like first and then upgrade to the 55" W8 if it's worth it.
  15. rr373

rr373 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    £780 for KDL50w829BBU is a great deal, where did you pre-order, if you dont mind sharing the info?
  16. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    Here (same model exactly, ships to UK, same 30 day returns policy if you buy from Amazon not a third party seller). You have to keep an eye on it as the price fluctuates - was cheaper this morning when I bought it.
  17. GhostRider17

GhostRider17 Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Excellent stuff! You know what youre on about with tvs so hopefully you can give us the run down when youve had time to play.

I see JL have near enough sold out of most of last years models so hopefully theyll have the new ones in stock soon after release,im after the 42" but not sure when itll come out. Any ideas?
  18. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    Ha, thanks, well, let's hope so, at least! I'm still awaiting my 55" W9 (Richer are apparently chasing stock... and have been for weeks). I don't really know why I'm ordering two TVs at once, but that's what happens when they give more credit cards to people like me! I'm quite excited to see the new interface for 2014!
  19. andrew fisher

andrew fisher New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    be careful if buying from currys /pcworld and taking out "what ever happens policy" .. I brought kdl46hx823tv plus 4 pair active glasses inc free bluray player 2012.the screen accidently scratched xmas2013it bugged me so rang for repair said yes was covered send it in to knowhow , so 6 days later they said couldn't be repaired and a voucher has been issued and suggested item kdl47w805 passive 3d , I said my tv was active 3d and ask about only other sony active 3d set stocked kdl46w905a , refused this option told Samsung(pick a model theres loads) were equivalent spec tv and brands do not count in t&c's ,asked if could have old set back as just a scratch 35mm they refused as had been broken down for parts , as yet trying my hardest to geta solution even asked for money refund as could buy kdl46w905a online £200 cheaper than their store .
    hope this gives I bit of info into their policy and customer service .
  20. Lukeymac

Lukeymac Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Loopthrough, you are a braver man than me going abroad! Anyway, weird thing today, I went in to my local Sony centre and enquired about the 50" W8 and he gave me 2 product codes that were slightly different and said they would be available next week. One was the KDL50w829BBU but the other one I didn't recognise. Anyone got any ideas - maybe he/I was mistaken?
  21. GhostRider17

GhostRider17 Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Well you only live once. I sure as hell dont want to die rich lol.

I really hope this years sonys are as good as they look. I was impressed with last yers they just had too many uniformity issues imo.
  22. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    Afaik, W829 just denotes the UK variant, W800 in the US and W805 in the EU. I don't think there are any other models. The W8 55" is due in June and the W7 version possibly later (in 50").

I've ordered and returned from German Amazon before, surprisingly painless. Shipped it back to them by courier through work (don't tell em!) last time.
  23. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    I wish I was rich, lol!
  24. doug56hl

doug56hl Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Broken up for parts?!!
    Did you sign over your property rights to them? I'd demand my TV back as it was given to them or cash equivalent backed up with a threat of court action.
  25. Craig02

Craig02 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Don't know if this helps anybody but I was reading on another site that some Sony Centers are meant to be getting the W7 in stock this week for public demos.

If anyone sees one please post back, Also if possible ask to see if it has a controllable Motionflow setting in the menu.

Sadly I don't have a Sony Center that close to me.
  26. Loopthrough

Ratings:
    +277
    I started an owners thread for the W7 and W8 series here
  27. Wayne Beetison

Wayne Beetison Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Where do we think this will stack up against a Samsung f6670, will be returning one on sat/sun and this is an option for replacement along with a LG 47la860w.
  28. rr373

rr373 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Good news, just got a call from my local Sony dealer. He has 2 models (one for display) of KDL50W829BBU and i booked one (gave £100 deposit). comes with 5 yr warranty. Going there to see the display model and if i like it, will have one by Monday :D
    • Useful Useful x 1
  29. AndySee

AndySee Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I seem to be getting interested in your TV chase and getting interested in the 2014 42 W8 .. but meanwhile
    I've just reserved a 46w905 from JL with a PM of 999. Hopefully, this will give me time to check it out and then maybe switch and save money later. I think the 46 is a bit too big for me but 40W905s were out of stock.
    Thanks for all your feedback and I hope you get a TV to watch soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. GhostRider17

GhostRider17 Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Excellent for you mate. Would you let us all know how you get on with it? Youre sure to get a flood load of questions being one of the first on here to have the new model lol.