Sony launch their UK TV line-up for 2014 - article discussion

@Craig02 What's wrong with the panel in the 50" W8 in 2014? It will be very similar to last year's W6, but with (surely) better motion and you get more HDMI inputs. The W7 will also be similar to last year's W6, again, hopefully with better motion.

The 2014 W6 seems to be using backlit LED (not with local dimming) as they are very thick. Looks like the 50Hz panel trick again, too. They must be Samsung panels - but won't be the highest grade ones - expect similar or slightly better performance to last year's R4 series (I wouldn't recommend those R4 sets as they are like LCD TVs from 2008 and had laughable performance, in spite of what the punters on Amazon say, although you can see they are mostly people buying it as a second TV!).

Do the feet on the W955 move inwards then as reports at CES suggested cos I'm surprised there's no mention of that (or pictures) on the Sony site if they do and they look pretty fixed to me. If they don't it would be a PITA to be honest, gotta say I don't really like the look of them either, look a bit naff IMO
I can't find any info other than a few reports from jurnos at CES to support that. Even if they do, it can't be by much. I think those feet will look laughably dated in a few years time! Anyway they're just ripping off Samsung's design from last year!

Do the feet on the W955 move inwards then as reports at CES suggested cos I'm surprised there's no mention of that (or pictures) on the Sony site if they do and they look pretty fixed to me. If they don't it would be a PITA to be honest, gotta say I don't really like the look of them either, look a bit naff IMO
Someone posted a photoshop photo here: CES2014 -- Sonys TV-Modelle 2014, Sony - HIFI-FORUM (Seite 10) and someone else who went to the Sony roadshow in Frankfurt confirmed that the photo is a pretty good representation of what it looks like. You don't move the feet inwards, it's actually a 2nd possible installation position. So either all the way outwards or that 2nd position.

Does anyone have any idea when John Lewis normally start stocking the new years range of tvs?

@Craig02 What's wrong with the panel in the 50" W8 in 2014? It will be very similar to last year's W6, but with (surely) better motion and you get more HDMI inputs. The W7 will also be similar to last year's W6, again, hopefully with better motion.

The 2014 W6 seems to be using backlit LED (not with local dimming) as they are very thick. Looks like the 50Hz panel trick again, too. They must be Samsung panels - but won't be the highest grade ones - expect similar or slightly better performance to last year's R4 series (I wouldn't recommend those R4 sets as they are like LCD TVs from 2008 and had laughable performance, in spite of what the punters on Amazon say, although you can see they are mostly people buying it as a second TV!).

Thanks for the reply, In my original post I was referring to the panel found in the 2013 W8 model

This years W7 is at the top of my list at the moment, I hope you are right, If its similar to last years W6 with better motion then I think I would be pretty happy. I guess we will need to wait for some reviews to see if it actually has Motionflow.

There is no reason why this years models should not have the same low input lag like last years right?

Do you think the price difference of this years W7 vs say the W6 is justified, ie is it worth the extra money?

I agree and I would never consider an R4 :)

Thanks Craig

Thanks for the reply, In my original post I was referring to the panel found in the 2013 W8 model

This years W7 is at the top of my list at the moment, I hope you are right, If its similar to last years W6 with better motion then I think I would be pretty happy. I guess we will need to wait for some reviews to see if it actually has Motionflow.

There is no reason why this years models should not have the same low input lag like last years right?

Do you think the price difference of this years W7 vs say the W6 is justified, ie is it worth the extra money?

I agree and I would never consider an R4 :)

Thanks Craig
Sorry, didn't realise that. I wouldn't bother with the 2013 W8 unless you intend to use it in a bright room.

Yes, it's definitely justified. You get more HDMI inputs (you can never have enough with 2 HDMIs, even if you think you will!). They should have - it would be a step backwards if the lag increased. Specs are very similar, so no reason to think otherwise. W7 could end up being a solid midrange set based on what we know atm.

Sorry, didn't realise that. I wouldn't bother with the 2013 W8 unless you intend to use it in a bright room.

Yes, it's definitely justified. You get more HDMI inputs (you can never have enough with 2 HDMIs, even if you think you will!). They should have - it would be a step backwards if the lag increased. Specs are very similar, so no reason to think otherwise. W7 could end up being a solid midrange set based on what we know atm.

No problem, I did not realize this years W6 still only has 2 HDMI, Will definitely be avoiding that then as its one of the main reasons I returned my 2013 W6.

Based on what I have read I agree the W7 seems to be shaping up nicely, Sony have it in right now, So tempted to hit the buy button but I may hold out a bit longer for some reviews to make an appearance.

The W7 has the new updated UI right?

No problem, I did not realize this years W6 still only has 2 HDMI, Will definitely be avoiding that then as its one of the main reasons I returned my 2013 W6.

Based on what I have read I agree the W7 seems to be shaping up nicely, Sony have it in right now, So tempted to hit the buy button but I may hold out a bit longer for some reviews to make an appearance.

The W7 has the new updated UI right?
No. I didn't neab that! I don't think the W6 this year only has 2HDMI. But the W7 is a micj closer set to how the W6 last year should have been. I would be looking at that if I were you.

Yes the new interface is on all the W series. And it looks like a winner. I think it pulls the metadata from what's connected to it eg sky like how Samsung do.

No. I didn't neab that! I don't think the W6 this year only has 2HDMI. But the W7 is a micj closer set to how the W6 last year should have been. I would be looking at that if I were you.

Yes the new interface is on all the W series. And it looks like a winner. I think it pulls the metadata from what's connected to it eg sky like how Samsung do.

Ah ok sorry I misunderstood you, Iv not seen much info on this years W6.

Yeah I think I will be going for the W7, I have seen the 2014 W8 42" for only slightly more but I am not that interested in the 3D that it brings

My first post in this forum, was looking for a telly in the last couple of months (to replace my 6yr old LG). Finalised on 47 inch W8 model but it was out of stock last week in my local currys. That's actually a good thing cos am now keen on 50 inch W8 (kdl50w829bbu). Called sony customer service but they are not sure when the 50inch will be released (btw, 42 inch can be ordered online in their website). Looking to get one in the first batch. Fingers crossed

My first post in this forum, was looking for a telly in the last couple of months (to replace my 6yr old LG). Finalised on 47 inch W8 model but it was out of stock last week in my local currys. That's actually a good thing cos am now keen on 50 inch W8 (kdl50w829bbu). Called sony customer service but they are not sure when the 50inch will be released (btw, 42 inch can be ordered online in their website). Looking to get one in the first batch. Fingers crossed
50inch W829 is available from February 24th. Preorder up now on Amazon. Price will probably fall to around £780 in November and settle around £800-850

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Someone enlighten me please as to the main difference between the W829 and W955 , what do you get for the extra £600?
Edit: just realised the W829 is 50" so that explains some of the extra cost but apart from that?

Ta

I sent Sony a message to ask about the Motionflow in the W7 and if the person who replied is correct they are once again claiming that it has it however it is controlled automatically and has no setting in the menu. :cool:

Craig

50inch W829 is available from February 24th. Preorder up now on Amazon. Price will probably fall to around £780 in November and settle around £800-850
Thanks Loopthrough. Currys have it for £999 (hope this price stays) though it says despatched in 2to4 weeks. With world cup in summer, dont want to miss any of the action in HD goodness (my 6 yr old tv is hd ready). Still feel, 50inch W829 is a good buy considering 800 Hz motion flow. Just want to make sure the inputlag is low as in last year's W8 and W9 model, as i own a PS3 and looking fwd to play Last of Us in a high end tv.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Someone enlighten me please as to the main difference between the W829 and W955 , what do you get for the extra £600?
Edit: just realised the W829 is 50" so that explains some of the extra cost but apart from that?

Ta
Hi zAndy1, its not just the size. W955 is the high end model (non-4K) similiarto last year's W9 series while W829 is their second best model (like last year's W8 series). Hope this helps.

Hi zAndy1, its not just the size. W955 is the high end model (non-4K) similiarto last year's W9 series while W829 is their second best model (like last year's W8 series). Hope this helps.

Yeah , personally I think the extra 5", triluminous display and dynamic led dimming are worth paying £500 extra for so I'll be after the W955 unless it turns out to be worse than the W905 which is a distinct possibility if the panel manufacturer rumours turn out to be true...

Ah ok sorry I misunderstood you, Iv not seen much info on this years W6.

Yeah I think I will be going for the W7, I have seen the 2014 W8 42" for only slightly more but I am not that interested in the 3D that it brings

Can i ask where you saw the 42" w8 mate? A link would be great if possible.

I sent Sony a message to ask about the Motionflow in the W7 and if the person who replied is correct they are once again claiming that it has it however it is controlled automatically and has no setting in the menu. :cool:

Craig
If you can't actually turn the Motionflow on or off then it's the usual smoke and mirrors job from Sony; it's a 50Hz TV, no more, no less.

Can i ask where you saw the 42" w8 mate? A link would be great if possible.

Of course, I am actually considering it myself what with the news I got from Sony that the W7 has no control when it comes to Motionflow.

I actually came across the 2014 W8 for £699 by chance, The link is below its from a company called Simply Electricals, I believe John Lewis will price match them whenever they have them Link:

If you can't actually turn the Motionflow on or off then it's the usual smoke and mirrors job from Sony; it's a 50Hz TV, no more, no less.

Thats my thought exactly, Im kind of hoping the person is wrong. Will wait for a review / when they come in store so I can check. Iv sent a message back asking the same about this years W8

@GhostRider17 I am not 100% sure if the 2nd remote is included. They might mean the GUI for One Flick Entertainment. Don't know for certain, so don't quote me on that! I'm in the same situation about the TV swapping game. At first it was fun, then after a few sets back and forward, it leaves you so exhausted and in such a dilemma. I just want something I'm 100% happy with and can be "my TV" for years, too! The TV I will look back on and say "that was a great TV I had for xx years"!

@Har-One Yeah that's strange when it's such a good system, but saying that Edge LED is coming on in leaps and bounds with every generation and panel native contrast is getting lower and lower every year too because of better light blocking techniques, so it might not really be needed in the long term. Saying that direct full array local dimming sets behave like plasma when it comes to viewing angles. What they were calling Frame Dimming (e.g. global edge dimming) is on these W7/W8 sets and is now called Dynamic Backlight or something. What was called Dynamic Edge LED seems to be X-Tended Dynamic Range now!

Just seen that the one click remote is defo NOT included. How tight lol. Least it will keep the price of the w7 and 8 down though.

wow the 55W955 is cheaper than the 55W905 on sonys own website?

Why is the newer TV cheaper? sounds like a bargain right?

Of course, I am actually considering it myself what with the news I got from Sony that the W7 has no control when it comes to Motionflow.

I actually came across the 2014 W8 for £699 by chance, The link is below its from a company called Simply Electricals, I believe John Lewis will price match them whenever they have them Link:

Thats my thought exactly, Im kind of hoping the person is wrong. Will wait for a review / when they come in store so I can check. Iv sent a message back asking the same about this years W8

Nice,thanks for that. Thats a brilliant price if John Lewis can match them. I also notice thats the rrp according to the site,if thats true thats a great price.

Ive never asked JL to price match though,can you do it over the phone if need be or does it have to be in store?

Oh and i read on the sony site that the w7 is the same as w8 except for 3d,so my guess is itll be a 120hz panel with 400hz motionflow like last years w8. I could be wrong though.

wow the 55W955 is cheaper than the 55W905 on sonys own website?

Why is the newer TV cheaper? sounds like a bargain right?

On the face of it yes but will it be as good that's the million dollar question. It's certainly making my decision whether to buy the W905 no easier though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom