Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony kdl**w905A owners thread part 3

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Curly99, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,193
    Ha ha knew you would love it.
    Get prepared to do the fastest calibration of your life. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. panman40

panman40 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,345
    Cabin boy, I've noticed that gains and bias overlap quite a lot at the low and high end, just to clarify, gains are for 80% ire and bias for 20% ? :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Didee

Didee Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Gain: blackpoint fixed, adjust only whitepoint (linear spread, starting at blackpoint)
    Bias: apply constant offset equally to all values

Simplified on a 0-255 scale:
    gain +10 ==> 0 [+0]> 0 , 127 [+5] > 132, 255 [+10] > 265
    bias +10 ==> 0 [+10] > 10 , 127 [+10] > 137, 255 [+10] > 265)
  4. BRAKKUS1

BRAKKUS1 Member

Ratings:
    +52
    I can only assume because of the native double refresh rate, compared to the W8 the lack of double imaging has to be because it's refreshing at a much higher rate, even though it's adding black frames it's still operating at the panels high refresh rate, thus reducing/removing the double imaging, with the reality creation stuff on games, reviewers only say to turn it all off because of added input lag it would probably create.It wouldn't affect how well black frame insertion works, it's not something they would have any bearing on it
  5. Didee

Didee Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I don't know how exactly impulse looks on a W805. But sure enough, impulse on a W905 does create double-imaging. That's simply how it works.

On 50Hz or 60Hz content, each image is pulsed 2 times (image/dark/image/dark). On 24/25/30 Hz content, each image is pulsed 4 times, hence "quadruple" imaging.
    This is trivially easy to track down, using a constant-speed scrolling picture.
  6. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Got an English translation for that lol?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,193
    You won't need to touch the bottom end I don't think.
    Spoke to Vincent the hdtvtest cal is only adjustments made at the top end. What I did was take my first greyscale reading then tweak 70 ire then have a look at the greyscale. Reset and then tweak at 80ire.
    Which ever gave the better results is the one I stuck too.
    When I did 3D the rules were a little different and after tweaking the top end the lower end needed doing.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. panman40

Ratings:
    +2,345
    Watching The Voice, what a stunning PQ :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jacksdad999

Jacksdad999 Active Member

Ratings:
    +434
    I know. Kylie looks amazing!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Send us a picture
  11. mentsugi

mentsugi Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Agreed, stunning. Also watched Bluestone 42 earlier on iplayer in HD and that was stunning picture too. This tv keeps amazing me.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BRAKKUS1

BRAKKUS1 Member

Ratings:
    +52
    On most content you can't see it on the W9, in regards to gaming, with the W8 it was easily viewable on any 60hz game, either a 3D type game (fps), or a 2D side scrolling one, but the W9 eliminates it on the majority of games, so while it may work the same way, the refresh rate of the W9 is the reason why you barely get any trailing (double imaging). Makes sense given it's twice that of the W8.
    It was a big issue for me, and have tested it on many 60hz games, Rayman legends was a big offender on the W8, and now it's perfect.
  13. aygo1989

aygo1989 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Looks like I finally have keeper of a set. No banding what so ever when watching football, and trust me i'm OCD when it comes to banding/DSE. No black bars(pillars) when booting up the xbox. I'm very happy! Only thing I've noticed is when watching soccer Saturday, on the white score updates the middle is not white but more grey...funnily enough I had this not only on my 1st w905 but also the F8000.

Can anyone tell me if they see slight background movements of colour when say your on the radio channels with sky and then go to change the channel using the number pad and have a complete blue screen?

And lastly I don't know if its my imagination/OCD but the top of my tv looks like its hanging forward, the back stand that is screwed to tv has a slight gap in the middle even though its tightly screwed?

I'd be very grateful if someone would let me know
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  14. Didee

Didee Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I'll try with graphs instead, perhaps that is better english. BTW, the example with gain=[plus] wasn't very clever, since Sony allows only negative gains, not positive. (Different story on e.g. Samsung TVs.)

Red gain -10:
    red_gain_minus.png
    Red bias -10:
    red_bias_minus.png

However, as Insanity202 already noted, there (usually) is hardly any need to touch the bias values. Mostly +1 or -1 on red or blue bias, if at all.
  15. doug56hl

doug56hl Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Same with mine on both counts. Sticking a spirit level up to the television shows 1-2mm lean in forwards from bottom to top of the screen. About 2mm gap between stand and television on the back. Two stands tried. Noted and ignored (as well as the wibbly wobbly television on the stand with 1/2 inch forwards/backwards play).
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  16. ozbrit

ozbrit Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Andrew, I've read some posts where people want to know how to disable the light at the base near the SONY logo. I'm intrigued to see this in action, so how do I switch it on - the TV came with It off and would like to know what I'm missing.
  17. panman40

Ratings:
    +2,345
    Your not missing anything really, it might have been nice to have had the letters lit up rather than just a light shining down underneath, mine came with the light on, from memory its something like Home > setup > general settings > light sensor then you can choose a few options including off, if I've told you wrong the setting is called Light Sensor and is in there somewhere !.

Edit, the above is wrong, see post below.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  18. imnotrich

imnotrich Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I thought it was Home, Settings, System Settings, general Set-Up, Illumination LED, then you have various options.

Or is that something different?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. panman40

Ratings:
    +2,345
    Ahh yes that's it, sorry I forgot as I've only changed it once to off and I'm still in bed lol. Thanks for clarifying :)
  20. imnotrich

imnotrich Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I wish I could stay in bed but alas the body clock is off! So no probs for me to check whilst enjoying the TV downstairs, I was also thinking about turning mine off last night but didn't get round to it, so gave me an excuse also!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. imnotrich

imnotrich Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I watched Wolverine in 3D last night, a lot of depth, great blacks, enjoyed watching it very much! No regrets with this TV at all, think its time to claim my price match back from JL!
    • Like Like x 1
  22. panman40

Ratings:
    +2,345
    Im a big 3D fan, having come from a slightly larger plasma at 59" with fantastic 3D I'm just a tad dissapointed, I've spent quite a bit of time with settings, infact every combination! But Xtalk pops up quite regular although I knew this would be the case but its corner clouding in very dark scenes that spoil the depth and immersiveness, its a compromise I can live with as its a great set overall and I'm very pleased with it.

What size do you have and did you get a good price match ?.
  23. imnotrich

imnotrich Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I got the 46" for £999.95, I'm mo expert with 3D, it's my first 3D tv so have Nothing to compare to, although a friend of mine had a Samsung 3D telly a while back and it seems better than that for crosstalk issues. I have around 20 3D titles so will be giving it a good test over the next few weeks. I did enjoy Despeciable Me 2 last weekend and the 3D was excellent but then animation is a lot easier on the eye me thinks but I liked the bubbles coming out at you in the menu.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Hang on Martin did you just use the word 'compromise' , you're getting soft in your old age :rotfl: Shame you can't get 3D exactly how you'd like it but yes I agree when the rest is so good it's a price worth paying :smashin:
    • Like Like x 1
  25. panman40

Ratings:
    +2,345
    Lol Andy, there's time yet to get to grips with 3D maybe, I just need to relax a few days then try again!, I'm liking it more and more tbh, I think its excellent. If I was you I wouldn't spend twice what this cost you for another 55" screen, if you really need 4K I would wait a bit then go bigger ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. inbox4

inbox4 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Just thought I would let everyone know that I have had my new w9 professionally calibrated and I can't believe the results. It has been completely transformational.

I was lucky enough to have it done by Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest. I would say it has given me a bigger performance boost than previous TV upgrades I’ve made.

Prior to pro calibration I’d tried every set of calibrated and recommended settings I’d found on the web with mixed but generally uninspiring results. This has convinced me how bespoke calibration is to individual sets.

I will now get every set I buy in the future professionally calibrated as I’ve seen the difference it makes.

If you want to be completely blown away by your w9, get in touch with Vincent, you wont regret it.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. snooper

snooper Member

Ratings:
    +68
    How much was it mate (i understand if you don't want to tell us though)
  28. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,193
    Vincent a good bloke gave me a few pointers prior to me getting my meter.
    Have you got before and after charts? Love a good chart lol.
    Thought I do understand if you don't want to share any info to satisfy my nosey ways lol.
  29. inbox4

inbox4 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    In fairness to Vincent I'd prefer not to discuss his prices as he quotes based on location and calbration type i.e. whether 3d is included etc. I suggest you contact him directly.

I will say that I consider it to be great value and it maybe cheaper than you expect.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. inbox4

inbox4 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, unfortunately not. With all my questions, chatting and interruptions, Vincent forget to save the 'before' charts. I told him not to bother recreating them as they didn't mean much to me. This is a shame as they mean more to me now having spent 2.5 hours with him.
    • Like Like x 1