1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDL-W5500 SERIES *Part 2*

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Curly99, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Dan_C

Big_Dan_C Member

Ratings:
    +40

The panasonic is in a different class altogether than the sony - no backlight bleed - excellent colours, faster response and no input lag.

I did a quick vs post on another thread here post 63

yes the panasonic does have 24 fps and also it has smooth film which is 96hz (each frame 3 times with no interpolation) BUT the V10 has the THX setting which when turned on turns off all the interferring settings and lets you see the picture with an almost perfect grey scale standard.

there's a good review on here and HDTV test by vincent.

check it out - even the wife says it's a far better set - when I let her out from behind the stove:D
  2. Aporkalypse Now

Aporkalypse Now Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that mate. I saw your picture in another thread of your clouding on your 40W5500 and it's exactly the same as my first set (4 corners and the outer edges). I got a new set yesterday and the left side is perfect but I have larger clouds on the top and bottom right corners.

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow so I won't be much good for a few days, but I'll call them later in the week to discuss trading up to the Panasonic.

Surely such massive clouding in a different spot could be considered a fault under most shop terms? When I took the set back yesterday I had to explain what clouding was (they weren't familiar with the term) and they plugged it in in the middle of the store which I told them wasn't going to produce the same result given there are 80,000 fluros in there. I just think it's a bit of song and dance to make you feel like they're checking it because they really didn't seem like they could give a rats.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  3. marklee55

marklee55 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    the problem is thats how the 360 looks, you need a PS3 for the best images
  4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    Depends where you're seeing the jaggies. A lot of PS3 versions of games are more jaggy than their 360 equivalents (see Mirror's Edge for an example).
  5. Big_Dan_C

Big_Dan_C Member

Ratings:
    +40

I didn't think the PS3 outputted its games at 1080p?
  6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    Both consoles render almost every game at 720p. They might scale it for output, though.
  7. j3000

j3000 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on the game. Most are 720 but some are 1080P (including Gran Turismo).
  8. Vox

Vox Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There are 3 solutions to that:

1) Get an official Microsoft Premium HD Cable that has both HDMI and optical out.

2) Get an unofficial third party cable for the same purpose.

3) Do it yourself: Xbox 360 Premium - HDMI Cable / Digital Optical Adapter Hack

And regarding the jaggies on the Xbox 360 dashboard: the user interface has been designed to work also on SD displays and for higher resolutions it is simply scaled (and not too well at that). For a true 1080p test, try some HD videos or games that support 1080p output. Currently there are 35 of those:
    List of Xbox 360 1080p games » Make You Go Hmm

On PS3, the selection is smaller, with 26 titles supporting 1080p output:
    List of PS3 1080p games » Make You Go Hmm
  9. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Those lists are pretty out of date (and pretty wrong too) - the PS3 list doesnt even include GT5P or Wipeout HD, both confirmed as 1080p, and I'm pretty sure both lists contain games that are not native 1080p (the Darkness & BioShock for example). IIRC the 360 has around half a dozen native 1080p titles and the PS3 not much more than that - the majority of them being XBLA or PSN titles to boot.
  10. Vox

Vox Member

Ratings:
    +1
    True, both lists are out of date and definitely not definitive. Still, they should give a better starting point for testing 1080p output than just the dashboard. :)
  11. Ringo1

Ringo1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
  12. abdus

abdus Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Just bought a 52W5500 today, But it will be delivered next tuesday being out of stock.

Upgraded from a 40V2500 which was also very good and served me well during the 2 years I've owned it.

Look forward to the 52" one :cool:
  13. An-D-D

An-D-D Member

Ratings:
    +1
    52 inch now on it's way to me! Play.com must have had a delivery but didn't even show up as in stock so they must have a fairly large backlog of orders.

Showing as posted today, can't wait! What's the procedure for deivery? I don't have a tracking number or anything yet so I assume it's just a case of waiting for a phone call from the delivery company?

Any info much appreciated.
  14. mini_collector

mini_collector Member

Ratings:
    +15
    That's right - I had my 46" from Play. A day or two after it showed as 'dispatched' I received a phone call from HDN to arrange a delivery date. I think they like to ensure you are going to be in when they turn up.

A word of warning - mine took several days. I think the phone call was on a Friday and delivery arranged for the following Tuesday (from memory). Not what you really want to hear when you've waited so long already!

I wish you all the best for a speedy delivery and a cloud-free set!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. An-D-D

An-D-D Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that. Like you say it is a bit frustrating after waiting so long, still haven't had a phone call yet. I'm sure I can survive a few more days though! :)
  16. teapot1971

teapot1971 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    aup mate ive just got back from hols and was glad to hear your tv is on the way :clap:if it helps with mine the home del firm picked mine up from play.com on mon and i recieved it on the friday, have you had a email with a tracking number if not ring play.com up thats what i did , the tracking number tells you where the tv is the time it leaves the depot ,half way through the week i rung the deliverly firm up and they gave me 4 hour slot on friday , on the friday morning i could track tv leaving depot with time ,and then i got a phone call they were in my town would it be ok to deliver ,hope this helps fingers crossed you get a winner like mine no bleed or clouding ,i only had week to enjoy mine before i went on hols but let me tell you its worth waiting for they are fab ,dont be shocked to find the stand is already attached to tv ,they are on the 52" so far ive not read any bad reports with the 52" so you should be ok :D
  17. An-D-D

An-D-D Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mate,

Hope you had a good holiday! Go anywhere nice?

I haven't received a tracking number. Just got an e-mail saying it had been posted. I will give them a ring and try and get a tracking number.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
    Andy
  18. teapot1971

teapot1971 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    malta it was nice and hot , ring play.com in morning get a tracking number ,it will be delivered via home delivery network log onto there website and track the tv when you see it in a depot ,google the home delivery network depot and get a phone number ring them and they will tell the day and give you a four hour slot ,makes life easy my wife was on front window duty for two days until i did this,and let me know as soon as you have any news :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. SquireC

SquireC Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My son just got a 46w5500. Easy to set up. Just a few tweaks on backlight (set it to 6), took off black corrector(?), etc. ....

and it's excellent. Watched a bit of Nemo on HD ..... awesome picture ...King Kong and Planet earth in Blu Ray ...... clunk (sound of jaw dropping) ...can't see any backlight bleed.

Top set. Very much agree with the Trusted review of the 40W5500.

Goy my eye on the 52". Watching the prices.:hiya:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. An-D-D

An-D-D Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I rang Play.com earlier and they told me they didn't know which courier it was sent with, it just depends on which warehouse the TV came from. Didn't get any sort of tracking information. Was told the courier would have my contact details and probably ring me to confirm a delivery slot.

Not very helpful! :confused:
  21. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just ordered the KDL52W5500 from cheapelectricals.co.uk..

Firstly I received a response via email that if I ordered before 3:00 It will be with me by tomorrow.. After ordering it and sending back an email that I have made the order.. "Please note ONLY our dispatch department can confirm exact delivery days. They WILL EMAIL you 24 hours before dispatch. Please DO NOT arrange to be in for a delivery until you have received this confirmation ".:rolleyes:

Fingers crossed..hope there is no backlight or clouding issues.
  22. GADGE1961

GADGE1961 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Calling all 37W5500 owners HELP !!. Just purchased my TV from Amazon and after a plea on one of the other threads some of my issues have been resolved. However I still have a problem with lip sync. I am set up with Sky + ( HD arriving tomorrow ) but I have noticed that when I change from one channel to another the lip sync can be out !!!. This seems to improve if you leave the channel on without switching over. Today my wife phoned me in work to say that the TV had just put itself into standby!!!!!. Has anyone else had these probs or have I been V unlucky. Cant believe my luck as I was after the Samsung LE37 B650 but Richersounds could not gaurantee stock . Has my second choice let me down !!!.
  23. abdus

abdus Member

Ratings:
    +139
    bought mine from Comet 2 days ago. They said that they will back in stock thic coming Tuesday. The salesman also said that all the otehr shops were also waiting for their stocks. it's the same delivery
  24. DaBoosh

DaBoosh Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I got my 52 from Play as well and it was delivered by Home Delivery Network but unfortunately Play didn't give them a contact number for me so I had to wait until HDN sent me a letter and then I phoned them, then received my set the day after. I also called play for a tracking number but to be honest the tracking seemed a bit misleading and worryingly left the set miles away for days! Even after delivery it doesn't show any up dates!?
    Anyway make sure Play has passed on a number for you to keep the process moving!!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. martin@wolfy

martin@wolfy Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Not had the Standby problem at all, only thing i can suggest is check the eco settings as one of them i believe can be set to auto turn the set to stand by after a specified amount of time.
    Regarding lip sync i have had this via my amp from Sky hd but not when i have the sound through the TV. I just set the delay in the amp to offset.

wolfy!!!
  26. GADGE1961

GADGE1961 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Wolfy just finished the instruction manual and I think you could be spot about the Eco setting. The lip sync problem appears to have righted itself 2 nite no issues whatsoever. Like you though its really poor through my amp. Luckily got my HD install tomorrow and I believe the optical delay can sort this. My HD is an upgrade from Sky+. Will I need a new card for the upgrade as I have not received one. If this is the case will the install go ahead ??
  27. mcvpjd3

mcvpjd3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  28. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Got mine today, hope it is not an ex-return or something.. Need some help with settings, any good place to look or threads on here?
  29. Big_Dan_C

Big_Dan_C Member

Ratings:
    +40
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.