Sony KDL-W5500 SERIES *Part 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain why when film mode is off motion flow has basically no effect.

Auto1 and Auto2 should only really kick in when the set detects that a signal that didn't originate at 25Hz (such as a 24Hz film) is being displayed.

I think testing with a video game is a mistake as the frame rate might also be non-standard and so fool the set into thinking you're watching a film.

There's something in the manual which explains the difference between Auto1 and Auto2, but I don't have it to hand.

P.

Oh, PS, no sign of smearing blacks on my 46w5500

It's not specific to every sony set, but the W5500 has smearing on dark colours against light backgrounds.

I'm gutted, because everything else is perfect, no backlight bleed, no clouding and the deepest black levels I've seen on an lcd.

I would have thought that buying the top end 32" sony I wouldn't have to put up with it.

It really is distracting but Sony centre are refusing to see it as a fault and are saying it's normal behaviour.

Forgetting that this set can be had for cheaper online, this set has a rrp of £899 and I expect better.

Oh and to be honest I don't think you should give advice on sets that you have no experience of, seeing one in a shop or reading details online doesn't really qualify you, I've owned the set for nearly a month, and I've owned a large amounts of sets, (I change tv every few months). To be honest you've even said previous sony sets such as the lower end S series suffers no motion blur when people have asked, which is false, the S series and below suffer from motion blur, just because you can't notice something doesn't mean it's not there.

You go one further and say that no sony suffers from motion blur every time someone asks.

Let me tell you that every single lcd on the planet will suffer from motion blur, every single one from every make, but some handle motion better than others.

It's the same with viewing angles, every lcd will suffer from a loss of quality when viewed from extreme angles but some are better than others.

The thing is it's unfair to potential buyers, who buy on your advice because you will always recommend a sony over anything else, and when someone mentions a negative you always say it's not specific to Sony, or not all Sony sets suffer from it.

You've stated that you don't work for Sony, and aren't paid, so why are you so keen on defending Sony every time?

Blur is logical for a 50Hz set,I ve always stated that.Of cource if it is above a certain degree its not logical and not accepted.As for the W5500 specifically,if it had been 1 set what I saw I would simply not involve in taking part in this certain part of discussion,but the truth is that I ve seen more than 1 different,and all the different sizes,so I feel that I can participate in this.(owner experience is still the best experience you are right at this!).As for the blur on the V4000.I ve been a 32S4000 owner and even after careful check there was a very slight blur on football of SD feed.This is typical of 50Hz lcd's and also due to bad transmission.Nothing extra ordinary.

has anyone any information or news of when the 52"w5550 is to be released ??

it should be within a few days,first deliveries have started shipping in europe

My TV sees the AVCHD file on my USB stick but says playing the file isn't possible??
I've not tried many files. There may be limitations. Mine were standard def files converted from DVD.

After going through 2 Toshiba 42RV555s in the past 4 months I'm considering this model but Im really put off by the tales of clouding, smearing and backlight bleed I simply wont tolerate those kinds of faults. Are they really that common? or should I give up and just go for the Samsung B650 or is the game lag a real killer on that set?

After going through 2 Toshiba 42RV555s in the past 4 months I'm considering this model but Im really put off by the tales of clouding, smearing and backlight bleed I simply wont tolerate those kinds of faults. Are they really that common? or should I give up and just go for the Samsung B650 or is the game lag a real killer on that set?

Their is more poeple who find fault and want 100% perfection than who actually comment on how good the TV is and it is really annoying me now:mad:

I have the 32W5500 and yes I have a slight backlight bleed in the top right corner and yes it may smear a little bit but show me an LCD or Plasma in any size that is 100% prefect with no issues at all and I will gladly buy that person the TV:confused:

The answer is you will not as their will always be some issue that someone will find fault with wether it be clouding, bleeding, sound, colour etc etc

All I will say is it is an excellent TV in the 32" size and I take the bad with the good.

Hope you get sorted but don't be out off by all the people complaining and look at the reviews done by the professionals too.

Last edited:
Their is more poeple who find fault and want 100% perfection than who actually comment on how good the TV is and it is really annoying me now:mad:

I have the 32W5500 and yes I have a slight backlight bleed in the top right corner and yes it may smear a little bit but show me an LCD or Plasma in any size that is 100% prefect with no issues at all and I will gladly buy that person the TV:confused:

The answer is you will not as their will always be some issue that someone will find fault with wether it be clouding, bleeding, sound, colour etc etc

All I will say is it is an excellent TV in the 32" size and I take the bad with the good.

Hope you get sorted but don't be out off by all the people complaining and look at the reviews done by the professionals too.

eh up!

I've got the 40 incher - yes I've got backlight bleed when the set has been on for a prolonged period (say 3 hours) and the scene is dark and yes its down right annoying! there is nothing wrong with saying so.

However, the set has one the best SD and HD pictures of nearly all tvs around at the moment and it looks the dogs swingers. i've not noticed any other faults - at all.

if anyone is looking for calibration settings I've posted mine twice - check back on the thread!

Sasker - can't find many faults with a 9G Kuro - I'll take a 50" one when you get round to it.:thumbsup:

also recheck the reviews and thread on the samsung as its got bleed and in some cases combing!

One think I have noticed with my 46W5500 - it's an incredible dust magnet. Not just the screen, but the (cheap) plastic surrounding it.

My previous telly was a KDL-L32MRX1 (the one with the floating glass design), and it was nowhere hear as bad.

Can anyone recommended an anti-static treatment that they've used and which is effective?

P.

One think I have noticed with my 46W5500 - it's an incredible dust magnet. Not just the screen, but the (cheap) plastic surrounding it.

My previous telly was a KDL-L32MRX1 (the one with the floating glass design), and it was nowhere hear as bad.

Can anyone recommended an anti-static treatment that they've used and which is effective?

P.

Ah, the LCD WEGA days. Back when Sony's designers had more taste than to use gloss black :thumbsdow

Sasker - can't find many faults with a 9G Kuro - I'll take a 50" one when you get round to it.:thumbsup:

I can assure you that someone would find some sort of fault with it.:D

I was just making a point that a chunk of this is all about how bad it is with bleed / smearing etc.

If people find it annoying then just take it back and buy another one, but most LCD's it seems have some sort of bleed issue.

Like you have done and I have done lets have more posts on configuration throughout the entire range of settings.

People keep saying in terms of calibration each tv will require different settings dependant on the room it is in and what equipment is connected which is fair enough but I can't see it being that far off:confused:

A 32" w5500 connected a Sky HD box via HDMI in a room with the curtains drawn and an average viewing distance will be very similar in each household. If someone has calibrated using a DVD / Blueray disc then post you settings when viewing Sky SD / HD content.

Last edited:

P.

I have exactly the same problem with my 32W5500.

I'm about ready to take the plunge and order a 52w5500 next week - can anyone tell be the cheapest online retailer to order from or should I have a 120mile trek to my nearest John Lewis?

Also - as I'm in the process of creating a flase wall and ducting to hide the cables - can anyone give me some advice on the power cable that the TV uses? I'm hoping it's not a captive lead...

can anyone tell be the cheapest online retailer to order from

Dunno if they'll be the absolute cheapest on this set, but I'm very happy with both the price and the service that I got on my 46 incher from Robert Whyte in Glasgow. Website

At the time the set was out of stock, so they kept me updated with regular phone calls about an expected delivery date. And during that time they added a free BluRay player for new customers, and were happy to add it to my order too. Plus they give a 5 year warranty.

It's not often that you get good service like this, so I'm more than happy to shout about it when it happens.

P.

Dunno if they'll be the absolute cheapest on this set, but I'm very happy with both the price and the service that I got on my 46 incher from Robert Whyte in Glasgow. Website

At the time the set was out of stock, so they kept me updated with regular phone calls about an expected delivery date. And during that time they added a free BluRay player for new customers, and were happy to add it to my order too. Plus they give a 5 year warranty.

It's not often that you get good service like this, so I'm more than happy to shout about it when it happens.

P.

Play.com are advertising it at £1499 but currently out of stock until the end of the month - and also thats without the BR player, so that RW offer looks tempting - thanks.

Anyone with the 5500 regret choosing it over the 4500?

I think one possible advantage with play.com is you can get a couple of percent cashback from the likes of Quidco. But you certainly won't get the personal service that RW seems to give. Usually you seem to get low price and poor service or RRP and good service, but luckily there are a small number of exceptions to that rule!

But I'll shut up now else people will accuse me of working for RW! (Just for the record, my only connection is as a satisfied customer).

P.

can anyone give me some advice on the power cable that the TV uses? I'm hoping it's not a captive lead...

I've got the 46", assuming the 52" will have the same cable, it's not captive. It connects to the back of the TV with a plug almost identical to a 'jug kettle connector' - except for the fact it has no earth conductor. So if you need to ensure you have enough space to feed the lead through, just try feeding the lead from your kettle through it!

I'm fairly sure that you can plug a normal 3 pin IEC power cable into the 2 pin socket on the W5500 if you need to use a longer run. All that happens is nothing gets connected to the centre Earth connection.

It doesn't work the other way round, obviously. i.e. you can't use the Sony power cord with a device that expects an earth connection.

P.

I've not tried many files. There may be limitations. Mine were standard def files converted from DVD.

What do you need to convert the video files too in order for the TV to play them via a USB stick, I've tried almost everything and havent had any luck yet......

hi guys got mine today awesome still messing about with . 1 question how does the pip work the last lcd i had which was a samsung had pip and while say i was on my pc i could get pip up and check out the cable channel which is going trough scart lead cant seem to do it on this ?? is there some setting i need to change?

ive tried with antenna and it works but i need it to work on my cable box which basically has more channels and runs trough scart lead plz help guys

Last edited:
RIP LCD

I'm sorry to say that I have returned my set to the sony centre today.

The backlight bleed and input lag was just too much to put up with for a top of the range set.

Its a pity as I thought it had a cracking sd and hd picture.

FYI - the sony centre confirmed that if the backlight bleed is ok when you first turn the set on and becomes apparent once yu've been wathcing for a couple of hours it probably is a fault!

sorry if this is another bad post:(

RIP LCD

I'm sorry to say that I have returned my set to the sony centre today.

The backlight bleed and input lag was just too much to put up with for a top of the range set.

Its a pity as I thought it had a cracking sd and hd picture.

FYI - the sony centre confirmed that if the backlight bleed is ok when you first turn the set on and becomes apparent once yu've been wathcing for a couple of hours it probably is a fault!

sorry if this is another bad post:(

Interesting, does anyone else agree with this? Seems a strange thing to say, does that mean if you've got bad backlight bleeding as soon as you switch it on, it's not a fault!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom