Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDL-W5500 SERIES *Part 2*

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Curly99, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    but the key is that the 40" is the sales record!the other sizes have not sold as much as the 40",and thats the reason there are more comments on the 40"
  2. Poffertjesporem

Poffertjesporem Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That's good to know :). But if I remember correctly you just returned it for a refund, and didn't get a new one, right? If not, did your new sample do better? I did a calibration on this TV connected to my pc with a Lacie Blue Eye Pro. Its rendering capabilities and Delte E values are amazing :). Will post them later for the colorophiles among us if I can find the time ;)...
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  3. Kingy82

Kingy82 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Better offer, or cheaper?

I ordered the 52W5500/BDPS550 combo for an extra £20, which is worth an extra £30 saving over seperate prices, but changed my order for the 52W5500/HTP-B350IS combo at £1839.

The HTPB350IS is the BDPS350 plus the HT-IS100 which is sold at £369, representing a further £110 saving...
  4. Big_Dan_C

Big_Dan_C Member

Ratings:
    +40

Yeah, I just got a refund as I had a couple of issues with the set - I agree with you the set aced every test on the DVE BD disc - the picture was clinical. I didn't like sony's attitude to backlight bleed and the input lag was high. other than that it was a mint set!
  5. McBain

McBain Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just taken delivery of the 52 inch monster from Robert Whyte (with BDPS550) to replace a 40D3000. 1st impressions:

- HUGE
    - Not so keen on the reflective surround - especially on a sunny day like this. Why do they do it...
    - Out of the box SKY HD pic is ok. I was fully prepared to see every little artifcact as its so much bigger, but the D3000 had a superb pic from SKY. Hopefully with some tweaking it will improve.
    - PS3 /w Bluray - not bad - crisp as anything, but seems to be some strange motion enhancement going on - I'll peruse the manual (and the 900 odd posts here) to find out whats going on and have a play.

Is there a settings thread anywhere?

Anyone in the market for a 40D3000? ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah - its far too sunny to see for sure, but backlight looks fine so far..
  6. ralph225

ralph225 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    got my replacment 46w5710 yesterday after the first had clouding and guess wot this ones even worse a lot worse:mad:as i set it up i new it would have problems as the time and date were all ready set unlike the first set so someone else must have sent it back.this is so disapointing even with the backlight on 0 and a huge lamp on all i can see is clouds,bottom right is worse as was the first set.so now another phone call to john lewis to try one more set if thats no good it looks like another 6months of reading forums to find another set:suicide:
  7. An-D-D

An-D-D Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just rang Play.com to ask when I can expect to receive my 52W5500. Not a very helpful response. They said they can't give any timescales other than they expect to receive new stock for out of stock items within 3-28 days. The wait goes on... :(

Have you got yours yet teapot?
  8. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Mc Bain,
    What were your dealings with Robert Whyte like and did you get the 5 Year warranty on the TV?
    If so have you had a chance to take a look at the warranty small print? Is it a two year insurance on top of the Sony 3 year warranty? Do you have to send it back to Robert Whyte if it goes wrong or is their a national chain of repairers etc.

I have e-mailed RW for full details of the warranty but heard nothing back yet.
    I am itching to buy both items even at £10 more than Play.com because of the extended warranty:thumbsup:

Fozzie
  9. Big_Dan_C

Big_Dan_C Member

Ratings:
    +40
    try a panasonic V10
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
  10. paulockenden

paulockenden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno about Mc Bain's dealings with them, but I found them great.

I checked the warranty before I bought my set. It's 3 years Sony and then 2 years RW. Oh, and it's not underwritten, which means it vanishes if RW goes titsup, but the people I dealt with assured me that they'd been around for ages and intended to stay around, but these days who can tell. So that's a slight risk.

The service is in-home, using Sony accredited engineers. I was told that the chances are it would exactly the same people who'd fix the set during the initial 3 years.
  11. McBain

McBain Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I got my invoice a few days before the set was delivered. It included some bumpf on the warranty as well as the SONY warranty information. If I understand it correctly, you get the SONY warranty for 3 years and RW extend it to 5. The small print looks fairly standard - I think the following bit is what you are looking for?:

RW LTD will arrange negotiate and settle all repairs carri"d out under warranty. The client undertakes to return the product to RW or to a locally authorised service agent to the client nominated by RW"

They were friendly and helpful on the phone, and I bought my previous set from them. However, I've never had to return anything so not sure what their after sales service is like...

P.S. Loving the set so far...
  12. alsina

alsina Active Member

Ratings:
    +620
    So for clarification, the 4th and 5th years are not an 'in-home' warranty as:

The client undertakes to return the product to RW or to a locally authorised service agent to the client nominated by RW

So call-out charges would not be covered, which is something that almost all other guarantees cover. Also, if the set develops a fault and is not economical to repair, RW use unusually high depreciation calculations to work out what they would contribute towards a replacement set.
  13. teapot1971

teapot1971 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    no not yet the story so far home delivery network (hdn)picked up tv from play.com monday took it to blackpole warehouse ,went to deliver tuesday ,driver ran out of hours, tv took to beehive warehouse ,(tv getting closer) now ive had two phones calls today to tell me its 100% being delivered friday morning , the worst thing is im having sky hd installed sometime friday ,just hope tv comes first.
  14. paulockenden

paulockenden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RW told me that large TVs are repaired in-home where possible.
  15. alsina

alsina Active Member

Ratings:
    +620
    I think you'll find that they were referring to the first 3 years which is covered by Sony who do send engineers out without charging. RW terms and conditions state that during their part of the guarantee (years 4 and 5) you are responsible for getting the tv to their appointed service agent. Here is an example of their process:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...ault-help-advice-wanted-warranty-repairs.html
  16. ralph225

ralph225 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hadnt thought about plasmas,looks very good no 46model though.carnt belive how bad my sony is just gunna get a refund now carnt be botherd to try a third set
  17. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    My advice is start considering :) There are quite a few people who have got tired of backlight bleed and dragging blacks and have happily jumped aboard the plasma ship.
  18. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    that seems the best option,as anyway you have the same chances with other lcd's.Either a 3rd W5500(which I d still try as long as you have the ability to return it again) or get a G10/V10 plasma
  19. DaBoosh

DaBoosh Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have been reading these forums for years for helpful advice and the like and I thought it was about time I joined in!
    I preordered the 52W5500 from Play.com as well and I've been torturing myself all week, after phoning them to get my tracking code, just to find that the set has been sat at Blackpole for 3 days.....
    Today though some better news, after ringing Play and being told I should wait till tomorrow afternoon before worrying too much my status has been updated to "loaded on to vehicle" at Blackpole and I have received a letter saying expected delivery is between 13:45 and 17:30 on the 5th..... tomorrow..... Yippee:D
    I hope we both get our sets and have a good weekend of blu-raying and gaming to test them out!
  20. An-D-D

An-D-D Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Glad you are making progress with your order.

Doesn't seem much hope of me getting my TV anytime soon. Pre-ordering over a month in advance, you would think they would be able to fulfill my order on release day. This was my treat for the end of my exams. Now I'm just sat checking the stock status constantly hoping it will be back in stock. Don't want to get stuck into any films or games until it arrives as I want to experience them on my new TV.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Ringo1

Ringo1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Have not yet taken the plunge with any of Sony's 5500 series as I want to see how the 40Z5500 shapes up when it finally hits the showrooms. Still, I have been wondering about this clouding issue (I currently own a KDL 40W3000 and that doesn't have any clouding) and while it is clear that there is a problem, is it possible that some of these reported problems are in fact returned TVs that are being re-sold as new, rather than being returned to the manufacturer as faulty?

Just noticed that What HiFi have reviewed a cloud-free 37W5500 and picked it as best of the group.
  22. mrmiffed

mrmiffed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used ripbot264
  23. Poffertjesporem

Poffertjesporem Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I didn't have time to go in the whole exchange procedure yet, but did find some time late to play around with my set a bit more and see if the clouding thing really bothers me while watching movies. I must say, you hardly notice it with normal viewing, but when the scenes get really dark it's clearly visible as can be seen from the pics below. Even at some normal lighted scenes, the spotlights in the top corners are quite discernable and distracting. All the pics (at least the black screen ones) have been made with my Canon EOS 40D on a tripod with shutter speed 0"8, f\5.0 @ ISO800. TV is calibrated with the settings as posted on hdtvtest.co.uk with backlight on 3

What I find peculiar is that the clouding becomes more prominent when the set warms up. As can be seen from the pics below, there's hardly any clouding when the set is cold and just got switched on. 15 min. later the clouds become more intense, but these are not a problem. The pictures exaggerate their presence a bit, but you can barely see them in real life. The spotlights however are annoying, but they only appear after 30-45 minutes though, so could this whole thing be a heating problem? Maybe some parts or screws at the corners start to radiate causing it all? After an hour it just looks like I have a gas leak spraying into the screen in each of the four corners, lol.

For the rest I've attached a pdf with software calibration results for the ones curious about color rendering capabilities (not that you'll use the screen for color critical apps, but hey.. ;) ). For people with a HTPC who are interested I can send the LUT if requested (or post it here if possible).

Going to see if I can find some time this weekend or next week to get it exchanged. Hope I'll be more lucky next time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  24. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    not a very worst case,especially on the first pic there is none.I am optimistic that it will certainly improve within the next few days
  25. richd7

richd7 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Just got my new 46W5710 and so far I'm very impressed. I've been using the HDTVTest settings to get a the best picture on through various connections and have to be honest, the image from my standard Sky (not HD) is shockingly good. Keeping the motionflow at standard is no doubt helping (having it at high makes everything look too real so will keep that for sports).

PS3 connection is spot on (as it should be) with Blu Ray's looking amazing. Do have an Xbox 360 but only coming through composite - switching this to 1080p did show some screen tear on cut scenes in Resident Evil 5, which is odd but in no way game damaging.

As stated the motionflow really does make everything so very smooth, when on normal (not needed on Blu Ray or games from what I've tested). My only down side I can see is the sound, seems to be lacking from my former 40W2000. Just not enough 'umph' or surround abilities.

As for backlight bleed, well have seen some spots in all four corners but so far only noticeable during a 235:1 film within the black borders. It's more something I have to look at, rather then something that is looking at me... if you get my meaning there.

So far so good. Any changes to the bleed (increase/decrease) I'll post on here.
  26. teapot1971

teapot1971 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    ITS A WINNER:clap::clap:
    well what a day 1100am 52"w5500 got delivered ,then 1pm sky hd got fitted could of not worked out any better,after the worry,
    well shes a winner no bleed no clouding what so ever!!:clap:this is something that everyone who reads this forum will not doubt test for ,sky hd is chrisp ,bluray is outstanding and normal sky is fab the only problem but now im being pickey iswhen you turn on it does take a number of secs and at first you press again anf turn it off before its on lol i will post pics in time if any ones interested first day im a happy man :rotfl:
  27. Big_Dan_C

Big_Dan_C Member

Ratings:
    +40

no it wont:thumbsdow
  28. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    there are still chances,and it has happened many times in the past
  29. Big_Dan_C

Big_Dan_C Member

Ratings:
    +40

get it taken back for a refund quick - make sure you tell em about the 'gets worse as it warms up'

if you don't take it back the 'gas leaks' will do your head in till you can take no more!!!:suicide:

get a plasma - we should't have to put up with this fault that affects 50% of all viewing on a TV. why sony and others are even making these sets is beyond me. unless ford start making cars with half the front windscreen blacked out:confused:
  30. An-D-D

An-D-D Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Happy to hear everything worked out for you! Sounds like you got a decent one! :thumbsup: Just making me even more jealous that I haven't got mine yet! Hope you enjoy it over the weekend.

(Play.com still out of stock with no word of when they will be back in stock. :()
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.