Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDL-40L4000

Discussion in 'Which TV Should I Buy?' started by Spiersey94, Nov 24, 2008.

1. kdamiko

kdamiko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks !
  2. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,683
    I've read a number of comments about motion blur on the 40L4000 and until last night I had only ever noticed it a little when playing games while the panel was still warming up and then not at all once warm, like my Samsung LE32R41BD, but when I was playing Condemned 2 on the 360 (HDMI) last night it was constantly happening every time you looked around, be it up, down, left or right. Things improved with the in-game flashlight on but in general it didn't make it fun to play or nice to look at. I haven't noticed this on any other games.
  3. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Since seeing the motion blur on Condemned 2 I also noticed it whilst playing Battlefield: Bad Company on the 360 last night and this was when the panel was up to normal operating temperature. It was most noticeable when changing weapons, you could see the blur during the change animation. It's bad enough that I'm thinking of returning this TV to Sainsbury's and swapping it for the Toshiba 37XV555DB they recently had at £479.99, so I would get £107 back but a 3" smaller TV.
  4. batman1056

batman1056 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    why not go for the 40v4000 - better processer and nto too expensive at around 530
  5. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    40V4000 and 40L4000 use the same BE2 processing
  6. jk07770

jk07770 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this TV from Sainsbury's @ £587. Very pleased with it. I have 1 small gripe, and thats motion blur, particularly in darkly lit scenes. But I have only noticed this on Blu-ray and Xbox? I have a Panny DMP35, any ideas why this does not happen on SD Sky?
  7. jk07770

jk07770 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas??
  8. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,683
    I was playing Call of Duty: World at War tonight and the motion blur was constant and terrible. :thumbsdow

I noticed my local Sainsbury's still had the Toshiba 37XV555DB in stock so I might change it but I like the 40" screen size though. :(
  9. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Could a different cable improve things, like VGA for example?

I use VGA on my 2+ year old Samsung LCD TV and don't notice any motion blur compared to the performance of the Sony.
  10. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,683
    How do you access the Service Menu on the KDL-40L4000?

I've tried the instructions in the Sony KDL-40/46/52 V4000 Series 1080P(BE2,33.000:1 CONTRAST) thread because I thought it might be the same being as it's the same panel, but it didn't work (unless I did it wrong).

11. Katana Paul

Katana Paul Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    On the whole, I'm impressed with my 40L4000. My biggest disappointment is the loss of optical output over the V4000. I wasn't aware it didn't have it when I ordered it from Amazon. Although, from what I've read, the 5.1 audio isn't fed through to the optical out so it would have been less than useless to me anyway. I'll have to save my pennies for a proper AV amp with HDMI inputs, probably the Onk 606.
    I have one anomaly - when connecting my Sony DAV-S550 DVD/surround amp via component cable, I'm supposed to be getting a progressive signal from it, but the TV informs me it's just 576i. I'm waiting on feedback from Sony but if anyone has any bright ideas please let me know. It's all set up for prog out (hardware button on the back panel set to 'selectable' and menu option set to 'progressive') so I can't see there's anything else to mess with. I've had it for a few years and have never had anything to feed a progressive signal into before. It will probably turn out to be a day-zero malfunction which I could have had sorted when it was new - just my luck!!
  12. Katana Paul

Katana Paul Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just this second had feedback from Sony:

Well - what a pile of poope from Sony!! Someone put me straight here - in the absence of HDMI, component is the next best for HD signals and is most definitely capable of carrying a 576p signal?
    I am asking Sony to explain how the 576p resolution from their DAV-S550 is to be sent to the TV - wet string??? I'm stunned by their response!
  13. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,683
    How does everyone else find the motion blur on the 40L4000 and how do you access the Service Menu?
  14. Katana Paul

Katana Paul Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've found motion blur to be highly dependent on the quality of the input signal - i.e. the input from Sky+ is hugely variable in terms of 'quality' in that some programmes appear horrible pixelated and laggy, whereas others are quite acceptable. SD DVD via component is obviously superior in this respect and is generally negligible. I have no HD sources so can't comment.
  15. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,683
    I get blur on Freeview, DVD over SCART, HD DVDs over HDMI, and 360 gaming over HDMI.
  16. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Are there any recommended settings to help reduce the terrible motion blur on this TV?
  17. Schmon

Schmon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really am shocked about the number of reviews floating around for this panel and how there is surprisingly little talk of just how awful the blurring is. I've been through every setting and tried to tweak thing to reduce the effect. The only way I've been able to minimise it is by cranking the brightness and backlight as high as they will go. I'm taking it back because of the issue. I have also encountered the problem of the image being stretched and resized, despite using the set-up menu to force an aspect ratio and the "full pixel" setting. I mostly use the screen for gaming, and found that while creeping around in shady areas (especially while playing Fallout 3) teh screen was forever trying to "intelligently" work out a different screen size for me, which causes the display to disapear for half a second, not good at all. The bluring gets incredibly bad in darker areas and really isn't acceptable for a display at this price.
    If all you want this screen for is just watching films or Tv, then I guess it would be fine, and I certainly have no criticisms against the build quality, or against the ease of use, but if you plan on using this for gaming, i strongly reccomend looking elsewhere.
  18. Katana Paul

Katana Paul Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Turn it off??
    So, basically, you don't consider it suitable for gaming?
    Ah -- there you go...

There's more to TV-land than gaming chap. Can I suggest you buy a plasma and groan about image burning etc. I hope you have better luck with your next choice.
  19. Schmon

Schmon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried changing all of the settings regarding how the aspect ratio is shown, but as I mentioned, even if i manually select how I choose the display to be shown, in dark areas, it will resize and stretch the image, which I find baffling.

As for the comment about there being more to TV-land than gaming, I do not contest this, however, for a reasonably priced set from a reputable brand, I find the picture smearing really rather disappointing.

Any suggestions for a replacement? (preferably LCD)
  20. Enzo-Amata

Enzo-Amata Member

Ratings:
    +0
  21. MarkyPancake

Ratings:
    +1,683
    I hadn't even mentioned this point. The blur is very bad in dark sections of games, particularly CoD: World at War, and even light games such as Mirror's Edge (check out the blur on Faith's red silhouette during the loading screens). Yet other games are fine.

If I had known how bad the blurring was before I got this TV, I wouldn't have gone near it no matter how of a bargain it was.
  22. Katana Paul

Katana Paul Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In fairness, I don't have an HD gaming system at all. I occasionally plug the PS2 in, but that's for a rapid blast of Unreal Tornament and then I'm done.

I've no time for looking into the shadows for 'detail' etc -- too busy blasting the crap outta poop to care. Then I'm back to reality and watching Sci-Fi on HD ;)