Sony KD**X9005A 4K Owners Thread

Right, so I always have the glasses on when I see the W8 and 55X9 sets in-store, as well as when I watch my 55X9 at home. :laugh:

Funny you should say that about someone else seeing them, as I was watching the 55X9 on demo (4K 2D source) at the Sony Centre and some bloke walks in and says "why are there loads of lines in the picture?". double :laugh:

I can see horizontal lines, in 2D, without 3D glasses, on the 55X9 (in-store and at home), from 8ft away. It's as simple as that. :thumbsup:

Right, so I always have the glasses on when I see the W8 and 55X9 sets in-store, as well as when I watch my 55X9 at home. :laugh:

Funny you should say that about someone else seeing them, as I was watching the 55X9 on demo (4K 2D source) at the Sony Centre and some bloke walks in and says "why are there loads of lines in the picture?". double :laugh:

I can see horizontal lines, in 2D, without 3D glasses, on the 55X9 (in-store and at home), from 8ft away. It's as simple as that. :thumbsup:

Nobody doubts you Geoff but have another look at my photos, more so the close up shots from just one foot away - you cannot see any lines at all. This is 4K content playing in 2D.

Maybe you need new glasses, perhaps?

Nobody doubts you Geoff but have another look at my photos, more so the close up shots from just one foot away - you cannot see any lines at all. This is 4K content playing in 2D.

Maybe you need new glasses, perhaps?

Never seen any lines on Lg passive 3D sets in 2D :lesson:

OK, but what about if you put the passive glasses on.

Do the lines now look more or less noticeable at that distance ?

Another way to look at this is to put the passive glasses on and move backwards and forwards from the TV until you can't see the lines any more. What's this distance ?

:laugh:either that or your eyes are hypersensitive to the filters in some way.
Most likely. I don't see why it's become such a bone of contention. Does everyone else in this thread work for LG or something? :D

I'm done trying to explain this, and I'm not jumping through any hoops just to satisfy people's curiosity about my 'condition'.

My 65" turned up today and it's a beast. Flipp'n heavy too. Sound is absolutely fantastic. There's 4 very very small slight clouds, only really pick them out by sweeping your eyes from centre out and back in. Not noticeable during normal viewing. The colour space is a little weird out of the box compared to my hx923, haven't had much time to play with it. I'm really surprised how well it upscales content. Why didn't Sony carry forward their intelligent peak for this model is baffling, but the edge lit does work really well. I'd say the blacks are close to the hx923, just I find the picture is a little lighter due to the edge backlight. Was hoping to get my rMBP to output 4k through HDMI, but defaults to 1080p, will have to look at how the Americans have done it....

My 65" turned up today and it's a beast. Flipp'n heavy too. Sound is absolutely fantastic. There's 4 very very small slight clouds, only really pick them out by sweeping your eyes from centre out and back in. Not noticeable during normal viewing. The colour space is a little weird out of the box compared to my hx923, haven't had much time to play with it. I'm really surprised how well it upscales content. Why didn't Sony carry forward their intelligent peak for this model is baffling, but the edge lit does work really well. I'd say the blacks are close to the hx923, just I find the picture is a little lighter due to the edge backlight. Was hoping to get my rMBP to output 4k through HDMI, but defaults to 1080p, will have to look at how the Americans have done it....

Congrats on a cracking tv 4k is indeed exsiting now, post pctures if u get the chance :smashin:

Nice one mate, sounds like the clouding is consistent in both 55 and 65 but is barely noticeable.

If only I had the room for the 65 - it is a monster!

I've had my 55" for a few days and the first impressions... WOW!

I'm still tweaking a few settings to get it the way I like it but so far it's great. My Oppo 103 can upscale to 4K and Blu-rays look stunning. I've sent off the form for the 8 free ones from Sony so we'll see what they're like mastered in 4K.

I hadn't seen 3D at home before now and watching some sport from Sky is amazing. The view of the activity in the pits in F1 is eye-popping. Downside - I nearly jumped out of my chair when a hairy tarantula tried to get into my lounge in a preview of a David Attenborough documentary.

From where I sit I can't see any lines so I won't comment any further. I'm not going to look for problems that may or may not be there because I'd rather just watch the film or programme. I used to be a hi-fi enthusiast and I spent so much time adjusting the tracking on the Linn Lp12 until I decided, bo*****s to that, is a good record?

Before this I had a Sony 46x3000 which I thought was fantastic - this set walks all over it.

I've had my 55" for a few days and the first impressions... WOW!

I'm still tweaking a few settings to get it the way I like it but so far it's great. My Oppo 103 can upscale to 4K and Blu-rays look stunning. I've sent off the form for the 8 free ones from Sony so we'll see what they're like mastered in 4K.

I hadn't seen 3D at home before now and watching some sport from Sky is amazing. The view of the activity in the pits in F1 is eye-popping. Downside - I nearly jumped out of my chair when a hairy tarantula tried to get into my lounge in a preview of a David Attenborough documentary.

From where I sit I can't see any lines so I won't comment any further. I'm not going to look for problems that may or may not be there because I'd rather just watch the film or programme. I used to be a hi-fi enthusiast and I spent so much time adjusting the tracking on the Linn Lp12 until I decided, bo*****s to that, is a good record?

Before this I had a Sony 46x3000 which I thought was fantastic - this set walks all over it.

Thanks for that, very informative and to the point. Sometimes people dissect every part of a tv and look specifically for issues as opposed to just enjoying it, and by the sounds of it your actually watching instead of looking for issues.

Well I am quite cheesed off, I caught scratches on the speaker circular surrounds in the sunlight today - only on a couple of them and there is ls what looks like a glue like substance on the discs.

Not impressed and really annoyed as I was just warming to this TV. On the phone asking for a replacement right now. :rolleyes:

Well I am quite cheesed off, I caught scratches on the speaker circular surrounds in the sunlight today - only on a couple of them and there is ls what looks like a glue like substance on the discs.
You figure it was a return or do you think the store had a play with it first ?

I'm always very careful with the packaging on a new product and always look for clues that "someone's been there before" :mad:

After two days of use, these few light clouding spots are driving me mad, I've noticed there's about 6, maybe 10 cms each, they look like a dice layout and are really light, when watching letter boxes movies, no problem you don't see them, but if you have a black image on screen with just something lit up in the centre or side of the screen, you can see the spots, 1/4 the way down from the top. Coming from a hx923 which was perfect it's really annoying, will have to contact Sony. Problem is will another one be even worse, but this one is driving me mad.

After two days of use, these few light clouding spots are driving me mad, I've noticed there's about 6, maybe 10 cms each, they look like a dice layout and are really light, when watching letter boxes movies, no problem you don't see them, but if you have a black image on screen with just something lit up in the centre or side of the screen, you can see the spots, 1/4 the way down from the top. Coming from a hx923 which was perfect it's really annoying, will have to contact Sony. Problem is will another one be even worse, but this one is driving me mad.
That's the reason I am holding back. Paying that amount of money for a TV with light uniformity issues is unacceptable and me, personally, would be furious. I think that it does not matter the model or the maker TVs are a lottery. If you get the good one then all will be fine otherwise it is a very rough ride. I had the 923 and sent it back because it had really awful problems of this kind and it was very far from perfect.

I saw the 65" in action yesterday at John Lewis and :eek: stunning.

I honestly thought the difference would be slight at best but not a bit of it. I was stood about 4ft from the screen and it was so sharp, detailed and vibrant. Even the missus was impressed which takes some doing with this sort of stuff.

Then when the assistant said what I was watching was upscaled bluray footage :eek:

Really really impressed but just too expensive right now.

Enjoy your sets folks.

Not impressed and really annoyed as I was just warming to this TV. On the phone asking for a replacement right now. :rolleyes:
That sounds exactly like what I've got on mine, and I didn't notice it until I saw it in the sunlight either. Top left speaker, by any chance?

[edit] Brilliant quality control on your premium 55-incher so far, Sony!

59661-albums2567-picture13948.jpg

Last edited:
Well mine is going to be picked up on Tuesday, by time they get it back and send me a new one, it'll probably be the following Monday I'll get a new one, ridiculous. The problem is, will the next one be worse or not. Sony if you are reading this, sort your QC out in Slovakia.... The price and low run on these sets should mean you calibrate and check them individually.

Well mine is going to be picked up on Tuesday, by time they get it back and send me a new one, it'll probably be the following Monday I'll get a new one, ridiculous. The problem is, will the next one be worse or not. Sony if you are reading this, sort your QC out in Slovakia.... The price and low run on these sets should mean you calibrate and check them individually.

That would tripple the price of the tv

Hey, if that meant it was perfect, I'd hand over the money. :)

I just think it is like Geoff says, very poor QC.:thumbsdow
Indeed. And I can guarantee that mine wasn't a return, it was brand spanking. It's a shame that Sony's QC has been poor on this set so far. The 55X9 is 'only' £1.6K more than the 55W9 so Sony are probably thinking that cranking this set out along with the others is perfectly acceptable.

I'm not expecting a little Filipino butler carrying a tray of cheese to be supplied with each one, but for four ****ing grand I could be forgiven for expecting a top class experience and Sony haven't given this set the TLC that it deserved.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom