Sony HX860 Keeps turning itself off!!

Yeh, interesting that it's related to C5, but my machine is now switching off at random today, just from idle, and it's not switched to C5, either.
It's done it about 3 times in the last hour or so..

Just done it again at 14:04. Powers off then on briefly, with the 'welcome' message, then off again.

Thank god for this thread. My wife was all for sending the box back to RGB Direct.

Apparently, it will reset itself several times a day, but never(?) does in the evening when I'm home.

Sony had better fix this soon, or I won't be buying a Bravia (or any other Sony products).

nic

One day on, and thankfully no more problems, re: Powering Down & Switching Off for no good reason!
ADVICE; GO BACK TO 'SETTINGS.' SELECT FACTORY SETTINGS 'ALL,' Reset.
Then deselect - switch off - 'Software Automatic Update.'
Next, select settings you want for your RDR HXD860,
BUT DO NOT SET THE - 'SOFTWARE AUTOMATIC UPDATE' to ON!

This seems to solve the problem, I hope this help's others with the anoying -
"swiching off" issue.
Let me know how you get on, Best Wishes, Michael G.

One day on, and thankfully no more problems, re: Powering Down & Switching Off for no good reason!
ADVICE; GO BACK TO 'SETTINGS.' SELECT FACTORY SETTINGS 'ALL,' Reset.
Then deselect - switch off - 'Software Automatic Update.'
Next, select settings you want for your RDR HXD860,
BUT DO NOT SET THE - 'SOFTWARE AUTOMATIC UPDATE' to ON!

This seems to solve the problem, I hope this help's others with the anoying -
"swiching off" issue.
Let me know how you get on, Best Wishes, Michael G.
Is the unit still using the v1.01.09 CE software though? :confused:

I see on the Digital Spy thread tha Sony are relating the fault at CH5 which isn't true as it apparently happens when recording via one of the scart sockets, and on playback. Doesn't sound reassuring.

(See also my posts above.) I have just pressed record on L2 and left it. It switched itself off after just 14 minutes. Not good.
I'm going to see exactly when it does it - to see if there is a pattern, rather than resetting the s/w to the original factory s/w version.
I'll post here if anything emerges.

Is the unit still using the v1.01.09 CE software though? :confused:

I see on the Digital Spy thread tha Sony are relating the fault at CH5 which isn't true as it apparently happens when recording via one of the scart sockets, and on playback. Doesn't sound reassuring.

To rich-jtg, I checked my settings & although I have switched off the Software-Automatic Update, it still reads v1.01.09 CE, AFTER 'resetting ALL -
Factory Settings.' However, my machine seems to be working well, with none
of the 'powering down/switching off' nosense! Give it a shot, I'm so relieved
that HDX 860 is working. Best Wishes, Michael G.

My wife reckons that leaving on Bid-up TV/Price Drop TV seems to make it power-off/reboot. As that's the main difference between daytime (when it reboots) and the evening (when it doesn't).

HI,

I found this forum whilst trying to see if anyone else had the same problem - only difference is that I have a HXD560, which I assume runs the same software. Problem started a few days ago, and I blamed my daughter for not using the recorder properly! Contacted Amazon about a replacement, and they have been very helpful, unfortunately I suspect this model is now obsolete, however if it is a software problem which is resolved, then great. Great forum - I'll be back! :thumbsup:

Hello.

I've been contributing a bit here.

It appears that any channel on mux A (I receive signals from Sandy Heath) can lead to the reset problem occurring. I listened to almost an hour of QVC to discover this - never again!

The reset problem can occur while watching DVDs or from the HDD because the tuner still runs in the background, crashes.... and the hardware watchdog resets the box (er, that's my guess).

So far, my recorder hasn't reset while the auto-upgrade feature has been turned off, although I'm still giving it time to happen since I've had it turn off within 3m, 15m, 30m and 60m.

Now, if they could just do something about the slow user interface..... :)

Chris

My last switch-offs were at 17:31 and just before 19:00 last night. It has not happened since. I'm still on 'auto s/w update', and have not done a factory reset, so still have the latest version.
Cross fingers they may have found something...

Still OK at 17:30.
Maybe all fine now.. ?

just to let you guys know(860 and 560),sony are aware and are working on a firmware upgrade asap wich will be aired:smashin:

Im glad I come across this, mine keeps doing it aswell! Though, reset it back to factory settings and no problems no for a week, I may have spoke too soon though! :oops:

I should trust the forums and looked here first but the problem when I got it last weekend looked just like a component overheat or similar. Hence my depositing at local Sony repair centre.

Call back today "it was a software upgrade issue, now fixed."

Not thinking this was a possible fix I quickly found this thread and asked to speak with the engineer to challenge him. He gave a very plausible story. Ah yes, the fix is you need to format the HD first, then bring down the firmware - that's what we've done - you can be the first to post this fix on the forum."

******. Got the m/c home and same problem. Put the donkey ears on and checked the HD - geez, they've found a way to put all my programs back on after formatting - aye, right. What a bassa - I've got his direct dial and he'll be getting an earful Monday morning. What ******es me right off is that they patently didn't test for the well described fault before handing it back.

Well guys, this is the forum that gets to the bottom. In the meantime I've disabled updates and it works fine. I'll monitor the forum for the answer. If we need bodies to lobby Sony let me know - it worked for the 'VTX-D800 Freeview box losing EPG' issue some months back in another thread.

I've just done the 'working set-up' routine thanks to Michael G and now all is working as it should.

So a big Thank you to Michael G :smashin:

Guys, you don't need to do anything - I believe the problem - whatever it was - has now been fixed. I haven't changed anything and it's been fine for 3 days or so now. I've not done a factory reset, a s/w update disable, or anything like that. It's fine.:thumbsup:

just to second the above post - i was getting this problem, have not made any changes to my setup, and now it appears ok. i guess it's either fixed or whatever was causing it off the Ch5 mux has not been broadcast recently.:clap:

whoops, spoke too soon. it's just frozen then reset on/off on ch5. off to the upgrade option now !

So whats the consensus of opinion?

Factory reset and turn of the auto updates?

I don't think its a C5 think as its happening when I'm playing back from More4

EDIT: What will happen to the programs I have recorded? Will they stay there or be wiped?

So, do we have to do a reset, or will turning off the updates work?
How will we know to turn them on again and get the fix?

just turning off updates is sufficient.

Had the same problems as the other members of the forum. I also noticed it seemed to be associated with Channel 5. Have turned off the updates like suggested and no problems since! Thanks everyone - saved a wasted return to Amazon.:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom